Food & Drink

Jerk Sauce - Do you put it on the chicken before you BBQ or after?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2018 12:38 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes

Jerk Sauce - Do you put it on the chicken before you BBQ or after?

Jerk Sauce - Do you put it on the chicken before you BBQ or after? The reason I ask is my family has taught me that the Sauce needs to be "cooked" on the chicken on the Barbecue because its like a seasoning or marinade. But this girl I know (who happens to be from the islands) said she BBQ's her chicken normally and then she pours or spreads it on the chicken once the chicken is on the dinner plate like kinda like a barbecue sauce? I do not know which is right or wrong but when we went to her house the jerk chicken tasted different than the one we cook normally because the sauce simply drips off the chicken and its not very flavourful, but on the other hand, since the way I prepare it, it was "cooked" into the chicken you taste more of it when you eat the chicken, and this is how I seen them do it when I went on Vacation in Jamaca before, so Im very confident in this way.
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Grace has both a Marinade and a BBQ sauce.
They also have a more solid bottled jerk seasoning.
I use both the marinade and seasoning but not the BBQ sauce.
You really need to let he stuff soak into the meat overnight o at least a couple hours.
The BBQ sauce is just window dressing but not full on jerk flavour like when you use marinade nd seasoning.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
Ok true. But the one time she came to my house and we cooked Jerk chicken, and set the tables and put the plated food out, I inadvertently left the bottle of Jerk sauce out and by the time I noticed she had already opened the lid, and was pouring it over her chicken and by the time we told her NOO, she was already scarfing it down. I cant remember the name cus it was a while ago but Im pretty sure it was the kind you marinade or barbeque your food with, even had a picture of something similar on the bottle.
Drive an Escalade
Oct 10, 2004
919 posts
217 upvotes
Winnipeg
I would use the BBQ sauce like your friend from the islands does. The marinade and seasoning need to be used before cooking. Preferably overnight, IME.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
I have never in my life heard of people cooking plain unmarinatated chicken on the grill and then adding the jerk sauce after. that would be awful
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2732 posts
3964 upvotes
Walkerswood seasoning before cooking.

No sauce afterwards.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
gh05t wrote:
I use both the marinade and seasoning but not the BBQ sauce.
The BBQ sauce is better than ketchup on fries.

I also use both seasoning and marinade on chicken.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8520 posts
2941 upvotes
0 downvotes
ReeGee wrote: I have never in my life heard of people cooking plain unmarinatated chicken on the grill and then adding the jerk sauce after. that would be awful
I know, me either so it was a huge surprise. maybe our family friend lady did not understand how to cook before?
Drive an Escalade
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
I find the wet marinade from the stores quite salty. Going to try a home made one.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
at1212b wrote: I find the wet marinade from the stores quite salty. Going to try a home made one.
Cut it with olive oil. Or put less. Its very wet and spreads easily.
Using my tupper wear shaking method above.. i find that even 2 table spoons will coat 2 pounds of chicken wings easily!
Dec 8, 2015
401 posts
230 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
13inches wrote: Walkerswood seasoning before cooking.

No sauce afterwards.

Walkerswood is awesome but also very hot, so be careful if you choose this one for your jerk.
Dec 8, 2015
401 posts
230 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I use half dry jerk rub and half Grace wet jerk seasoning and leave in fridge overnight.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2732 posts
3964 upvotes
jemjem9 wrote: Walkerswood is awesome but also very hot, so be careful if you choose this one for your jerk.
They make a mild version. Not available in every store, but it is out there.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5317 posts
3943 upvotes
Milton, ON.
13inches wrote: Walkerswood seasoning before cooking.

No sauce afterwards.
This always.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2001
5032 posts
774 upvotes
Toronto
Try President choice memories of Montego Bay jerk marinate. It's actually not bad but need to marinate for a while
You can give a person knowledge, but you can't make them think. Some people want to remain fools because the truth requires change.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5520 upvotes
Toronto
i dropped by my usual jamaican meat patty place on fri. i noticed they had a jerk chicken flavour i hadn't tried before so decided to give it a go.
i was stunned when they took out the regular chicken patty split it open, poured some jerk sauce it in and handed it over to me.

/s
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2001
5032 posts
774 upvotes
Toronto
ShoNuff2 wrote: i dropped by my usual jamaican meat patty place on fri. i noticed they had a jerk chicken flavour i hadn't tried before so decided to give it a go.
i was stunned when they took out the regular chicken patty split it open, poured some jerk sauce it in and handed it over to me.

/s
Lol... disgusting.
You can give a person knowledge, but you can't make them think. Some people want to remain fools because the truth requires change.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5317 posts
3943 upvotes
Milton, ON.
ShoNuff2 wrote: i dropped by my usual jamaican meat patty place on fri. i noticed they had a jerk chicken flavour i hadn't tried before so decided to give it a go.

/s
Hmmmmmmmmmm and you will keep on going back there???
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5520 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Hmmmmmmmmmm and you will keep on going back there???
if they actually did that i wouldn't.

just like i wouldn't trust someone who told me jerk sauce on plain chicken is all of a sudden "jerk chicken"
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)