• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 8:35 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 30, 2013
302 posts
37 upvotes
GTA
jerryhung wrote: Good question, I never bothered since I didn't want to lose my nice setup with all-inclusive and etc... plus I have $200 credit still to use
Previously one rarely sees good Welcome signup on TD First Class also... this year's 40K ($400 value) is probably a response/match to TD's own Aeroplan CC offer (25K, FYF)
40k is actually $200 in value, as every 10,000 points equal $50, thus implying its approx. a 1.5% cash back rate with the First Class Infinite card and 4.5% cash back when Expedia@TD is utilized.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2905 posts
2578 upvotes
Toronto
GreyMatter22 wrote: 40k is actually $200 in value, as every 10,000 points equal $50, thus implying its approx. a 1.5% cash back rate with the First Class Infinite card and 4.5% cash back when Expedia@TD is utilized.
Looks like every 10k points is only $25 dollars. https://www.tdrewards.com/cashoff

Redeem1 your TD Points today and save on your monthly TD Credit Card bill

Redeem1 this many TD Points Get this cash credit amount
applied1 to your Account
10,000 $25
20,000 $50
40,000 $100
60,000 $150
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10598 posts
4849 upvotes
Burnaby
Travel credit is worth more than cash

I spent 20k points and got $100 statement credit (partially paid for flight booking)

Total Travel Purchase Transaction Amount
Total Travel Purchase Transaction Amount: $179.80 (35,960 TD Points)
Total TD Points Redemption Request: 20,000 TD Points and pay $79.80
Aug 12, 2010
654 posts
241 upvotes
Ottawa, Ontario
So to recap:
2 weeks ago.
I applied for and received the AMEX GOLD MR. ($500 spent)
My partner applied for and received the AMEX Platinum Air Miles. ($500 spent)
I applied for and am about to receive the TD Aeroplan Infinite. ( I received the PIN, letter said the card should arrive within 5 days)

In the past few days:
My partner applied for the AMEX Platinum MR (through my referral link)
Received: Thank you for choosing American Express. You have been conditionally approved pending verification of the information you have provided. You will hear from us within 10 days

I applied for the AMEX Air Miles Platinum (through my partners referral link)
Received: Thank you for applying for the American Express® AIR MILES®* Platinum Credit Card. Your application is currently under review and will be completed within 10 days.

Both our credit ratings are in the mid 800's.
We own our own home and have no mortgage but a few lines of credit (no utilization)
He has 1 other credit card.
I have 3 other credit cards. Including AMEX Air Miles Reg (no fee) since 1998.
We have not carried a balance on our credit cards in over 10 years. Used for EVERYTHING and paid in full every month.
We borrow on the line of credit every 2-4 months, and pay back within 1-2 weeks.

Normal reaction from AMEX?

Should I call? Wait - how long?

Thanks,
Allan
Thanks to all at RedFlagDeals for all the great deals obtained.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2751 upvotes
Vancouver
starwatcher wrote: So to recap:
In the past few days:
My partner applied for the AMEX Platinum MR (through my referral link)
Received: Thank you for choosing American Express. You have been conditionally approved pending verification of the information you have provided. You will hear from us within 10 days

I applied for the AMEX Air Miles Platinum (through my partners referral link)
Received: Thank you for applying for the American Express® AIR MILES®* Platinum Credit Card. Your application is currently under review and will be completed within 10 days.

Exact same thing happened to me/my wife. Totally normal. Likely reason that triggered those messages is because you applied for more than 1 amex card within the last 3 months.
Call amex for both those applications right away and they will ask a few questions to confirm your identity and approve your cards right away. They may or may not ask why you are applying for another amex card so soon. Tell them you wanted to start collecting air miles or whatever reason you want to use and it should be no problem.

I got approved for the air miles plat card on Monday and I received it today. My wife got approved for the amex biz gold card last Friday but she hasn't received her card yet. We now each have 3 amex cards. May get another one in a couple months.

I should count exactly how many credit cards I have now. Must be 9 to 12 cards by now. LOL.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
It's normal, as above said, "conditional approval" is because of 1+ applications in the last 3 months

Already have AMEX Plat
Applied AMEX Air Miles in Jan 2015 was approved online instantly
The following 2 - AMEX Biz Gold (Feb) and SPG (March) both were conditional and simple call in right afterwards (with the Ref #) fixed it in 5 minutes, after confirming identity
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
FYI on the AMEX promos (Speedpass + $10 off $50 at Esso)

I'm all done on 2 cards, 2 more to go (which require manual phoning Speedpass to update, ARGH)

Sampler results for everyone to see. It takes 2 days to post the credits
It took 4 x $50 only because I did the Speedpass BEFORE the 2nd promo came out, otherwise 3 x $50 on Speedpass should trigger the entire $50 credit
DATE DESCRIPTION AMOUNT
06 MAY 2015 IMPERIAL OIL-KIOSK -$10.00
06 MAY 2015 IMPERIAL OIL-KIOSK -$10.00

04 MAY 2015 ESSO-GURUS ESSO WATERLOO $50.00
04 MAY 2015 ESSO-GURUS ESSO WATERLOO $50.00
02 MAY 2015 IMPERIAL OIL-TRANSPONDER -$10.00

30 APR 2015 ESSO-WAGNERS CORNERS WATERLOO $45.97
30 APR 2015 ESSO-WAGNERS CORNERS WATERLOO $50.00
Aug 12, 2010
654 posts
241 upvotes
Ottawa, Ontario
Good news. Both applications approved.
In fact I just noticed today that my referral bonus points have been deposited into my Amex Gold MR account. And I got 40k. 25k for spending the $500 and another 15k for the referral.
When I referred him to the platinum (this past Monday-from my gold) I used the platinum link and it worked. I got the 15k.
I called Amex anyway and they immediately said he was approved and the card/package should be received early next week.
And same thing for my application to the AirMiles platinum. Though with mine the Amex CSR put me on hold 2 minutes then came back and said I was approved. Maybe she was approving me then and there. (I just applied yesterday and my response popup was not the conditional one) She said 7-10 days to receive card.

Next card on my radar is the BMO Air Miles World Elite card. To be released on May 13th. Hoping for FYF. The 25% reduction required when redeeming AirMiles seems like it would really come in handy!!!

And then in 6-8 months my partner and I refer each other on the Amex MR cards again.

Anyway. Thanks to everyone for your assistance. - crazy thing is that I have the CapOne AspireTravel and if Capital One did not have such a stupid policy about never increasing credit limits I never would have threatened them that I would cancel and then start looking at all these threads. Their loss is my gain!!
Though not cancelling too quickly. Have to examine if the $20/year is worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2751 upvotes
Vancouver
starwatcher wrote: In fact I just noticed today that my referral bonus points have been deposited into my Amex Gold MR account.
Yeah, amex referral pts show up as soon as app is approved.
They told me 7 to 10 days too for the amex airmiles plat but the card arrived 3 days after my approval.
If you haven't yet, take a look at the Marriott rewards visa. For me, it's probably my favorite card to churn.
Aug 12, 2010
654 posts
241 upvotes
Ottawa, Ontario
Speedy1 wrote: If you haven't yet, take a look at the Marriott rewards visa. For me, it's probably my favorite card to churn.
I just read the chase Marriott thread. Looks very interesting. Though mixed reports about churning. What has been your experience.? How long do you hold onto it? Says min 6 months. How long do you wait to re-apply? Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2751 upvotes
Vancouver
starwatcher wrote: I just read the chase Marriott thread. Looks very interesting. Though mixed reports about churning. What has been your experience.? How long do you hold onto it? Says min 6 months. How long do you wait to re-apply? Thanks!
There is nothing definitive. General rule some follow is cancel after having it for at least 6 months and reapply 6 months after cancelling. Some are more aggressive and reapply much sooner than 6 months. I didn't realize Marriot visa is churnable until about 5 months ago, which was about 14 months after I cancelled it.
Dec 15, 2008
652 posts
58 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Need some advice. So I applied for TD Aeroplan Infinite VISA online last week knowing that its almost a guaranteed approval since my Equifax credit score is 800. When I called to follow up TD says they tried to call me to verify some assets but I never got any emails or calls. So the application has been canceled. TD rep offered to resubmit an application over the phone and I get the same promo 15,000 Aeroplan bonus + 10,000 after spending $1000 within 3 months. But when they tried to verify with credit bureau over the phone he says they're being disallowed inquiry? Then adviced me to contact credit bureau to lift the "block".

What could be going on here? Is it best to just re-apply online and start the whole process all over? I'm just concerned of the additional credit inquiry that could lower my credit score.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2007
6041 posts
2751 upvotes
Vancouver
exhaust wrote: Need some advice. So I applied for TD Aeroplan Infinite VISA online last week knowing that its almost a guaranteed approval since my Equifax credit score is 800. When I called to follow up TD says they tried to call me to verify some assets but I never got any emails or calls. So the application has been canceled. TD rep offered to resubmit an application over the phone and I get the same promo 15,000 Aeroplan bonus + 10,000 after spending $1000 within 3 months. But when they tried to verify with credit bureau over the phone he says they're being disallowed inquiry? Then adviced me to contact credit bureau to lift the "block".

What could be going on here? Is it best to just re-apply online and start the whole process all over? I'm just concerned of the additional credit inquiry that could lower my credit score.
Not sure what "they're being disallowed inquiry" mean. TD can't do another credit inquiry? If they did one recently, why do they need to do another one? Sounds fishy. Consider calling TD again and ask to speak with a manager. I spoke to 2 different managers about 6 months ago and they were very helpful and professional.

Call and ask equifax what is going on but good luck with that. Call center is based in Phillipines or another 3rd world country. They told me to call the bank and the bank told me to call equifax. I know companies like equifax, telus, hotel.com use call centers in 3rd world countries because it's a lot cheaper over there but a lot of times, quality of customer service isn't there.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
Status update

my CIBC application is approved for this card
CIBC Aerogold Visa Card for Your Business
https://www.cibc.com/ca/small-business/ ... r-bus.html

so thanks to those who brought the card to my attention, looking forward to free 20K Aeroplan miles after 1st purchase
I'll add it to the OP as well
Nov 1, 2009
76 posts
2 upvotes
toronto
jerryhung wrote: Status update

my CIBC application is approved for this card
CIBC Aerogold Visa Card for Your Business
https://www.cibc.com/ca/small-business/ ... r-bus.html

so thanks to those who brought the card to my attention, looking forward to free 20K Aeroplan miles after 1st purchase
I'll add it to the OP as well
I applied last week and they called me but they said i didnt have enough buisness income even though my salary is high. Did you tell them you made over $35k in business income?
Oct 22, 2012
452 posts
836 upvotes
Jerry, can you double-dip on these promos?
Are you making one $50 purchase at Esso and getting TWO $10 statement credits, one for Amex and one for Amex with Speedpass?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
Erumuh wrote: Jerry, can you double-dip on these promos?
Are you making one $50 purchase at Esso and getting TWO $10 statement credits, one for Amex and one for Amex with Speedpass?
wrong thread? you should ask in the other 2 AMEX threads, but here was my reply anyway

YES, worked fine for me
so 3x$50 GC on Speedpass will trigger BOTH promos for total of $20+$30 credit
Oct 22, 2012
452 posts
836 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: wrong thread? you should ask in the other 2 AMEX threads, but here was my reply anyway

YES, worked fine for me
so 3x$50 GC on Speedpass will trigger BOTH promos for total of $20+$30 credit
Sorry, meant to quote your post #209 in this thread. :) Saw the double credits and was curious. Thanks for the reply!
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3503 posts
615 upvotes
Ottawa
Quick Question about "Churning" These cards?

Hows this work exactly... How long in total do you need to hold the card, and how long between cancelling the card and reapplying to get the bonus again?

Im new to this, Thinking if you can get 250 sign up bonus on 2-3 cards a year, It would diffently be worth while :)
Hello
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
ilusa wrote: Quick Question about "Churning" These cards?

Hows this work exactly... How long in total do you need to hold the card, and how long between cancelling the card and reapplying to get the bonus again?

Im new to this, Thinking if you can get 250 sign up bonus on 2-3 cards a year, It would diffently be worth while :)
I added this to the OP

- If you are "churning" the same card (cancel & re-apply), I recommend minimum waiting period of 6 months. I know some do it 3 months, but YMMV. Also, I also suggest holding the card at least 6 months (some say that's when it becomes R1 status in your Credit Report, which looks better than R0, but who knows)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)