Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 8:35 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 1, 2011
248 posts
154 upvotes
Scotia must be bringing down the hammer for some reason. My wife and I both got denied for the same Scotia card recently. I've never been denied for any card ever before this one, and my credit score is high 800's.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2587 posts
258 upvotes
Calgary
ericdao wrote: Update 2: thanks so much for all your comments over last few days. I tried to book a refundable hotel and the bonus points came back this morning. Must be a glitch in Amex system. So what to do next? Refund this booking? Wonder if Amex claw back again?
Just buy something for $400.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
spena wrote: Scotia requested my paystub to verify
damn, forget bout that card! i need a new daily driver after july..im thinking BMO CB WE, amex cobalt, or triangle WE?
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Sep 15, 2019
475 posts
1659 upvotes
High
What do you guys think about the HSBC WEMC? They’re offering 90k points simply for signing up for it. No minimum spend for Quebec. I live in Ottawa and was thinking of applying for it using a Canada post office address from Gatineau and doing a flex pickup. Would it work?
Jan 8, 2009
895 posts
1301 upvotes
Babaji01 wrote: What do you guys think about the HSBC WEMC? They’re offering 90k points simply for signing up for it. No minimum spend for Quebec. I live in Ottawa and was thinking of applying for it using a Canada post office address from Gatineau and doing a flex pickup. Would it work?
The quebec version is with annual fee (i.e. no FYF). Using your office address likely won't work, as your EQ/TU record is based on your home address
Sep 15, 2019
475 posts
1659 upvotes
High
PTMBAA wrote: The quebec version is with annual fee (i.e. no FYF). Using your office address likely won't work, as your EQ/TU record is based on your home address
Any other way around then? I’m tempted cause of the no FX and 31 travel insurance but don’t have ways to spend that $5000 for Ontario version of the card.
Jan 26, 2020
254 posts
134 upvotes
Not sure where to post this, hopefully someone here can help.

Question about RBC points
1) Can I product switch my avion card to a RBC rewards card and have my points transferred to the new card?

2) Are the points you get from your RBC avion the same as points you get from RBC rewards card?

3) Do you have to hold an RBC avion card to get the 30-50% transfer promo to British Avios? I was planning to PS one of my avion cards to the RBC rewards card and my other avion card to the WestJet one. This would leave me with no current avion card.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7373 posts
9178 upvotes
Montreal
haroonkhawaja wrote: Not sure where to post this, hopefully someone here can help.

Question about RBC points
1) Can I product switch my avion card to a RBC rewards card and have my points transferred to the new card?

2) Are the points you get from your RBC avion the same as points you get from RBC rewards card?

3) Do you have to hold an RBC avion card to get the 30-50% transfer promo to British Avios? I was planning to PS one of my avion cards to the RBC rewards card and my other avion card to the WestJet one. This would leave me with no current avion card.

Thanks
1) Yes.
2) Not exactly. They are RBC Rewards points in both cases, but by holding an Avion card, it gives you the ability to transfer your points to Avios, Asia Miles and AAdvantage, as well as access to RBC's fixed point rewards chart. Without an Avion card, you are limited to the following transfer partners: WestJet, Hudson’s Bay Rewards.
3) Yes.
Jan 26, 2020
254 posts
134 upvotes
What would you do if you were in my position?

I've got a RBC cash back MasterCard (4 years old), RBC avion platinum (8 months old) and RBC visa infinite (5 months old)

I want to ideally product switch to the RBC WestJet card soon and avoid getting a hard credit check and keep one avion card for the time being to get the Avios promo. I also want to product switch a card to the rewards MasterCard to bank RBC points when I eventually cancel the avion cards after FYF. Any ideas? First time product switching
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
6114 posts
1693 upvotes
Milton
mikka2017 wrote: damn, forget bout that card! i need a new daily driver after july..im thinking BMO CB WE, amex cobalt, or triangle WE?
BMO CB WE gets my vote. i believe its instant cb like td

imo triangle WE should already be in your lineup and use it to pay re-occuring bills + property tax + free roadside assist
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2809 posts
3664 upvotes
haroonkhawaja wrote: What would you do if you were in my position?

I've got a RBC cash back MasterCard (4 years old), RBC avion platinum (8 months old) and RBC visa infinite (5 months old)

I want to ideally product switch to the RBC WestJet card soon and avoid getting a hard credit check and keep one avion card for the time being to get the Avios promo. I also want to product switch a card to the rewards MasterCard to bank RBC points when I eventually cancel the avion cards after FYF. Any ideas? First time product switching
Firstly, there is no RBC Rewards Mastercard, assume you meant RBC Rewards+ VISA or some other card?

I'd switch the RBC Platinum Avion Visa to Westjet, the Infinite VISA is a better card to keep for the time being.

Product switching is all done online and is easy and quick - just make SURE you read all the T's&C's first and potential restrictions on any bonuses you may be expecting.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
6416 posts
7003 upvotes
GTA
robsaw wrote: Firstly, there is no RBC Rewards Mastercard, assume you meant RBC Rewards+ VISA or some other card?

I'd switch the RBC Platinum Avion Visa to Westjet, the Infinite VISA is a better card to keep for the time being.

Product switching is all done online and is easy and quick - just make SURE you read all the T's&C's first and potential restrictions on any bonuses you may be expecting.
If you online PS an RBC Avion to an RBC Rewards+ Visa:

1. do the existing RBC Rewards points from an Avion card automatically get transferred to the RBC Rewards+ Visa with the online PS ... Or do you need to PS over the phone, to have a rep make a manual transfer of RBC Reward points?

2. is the Card # the same with the PS, or new # for the Rewards+ Visa?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7373 posts
9178 upvotes
Montreal
mzmoney wrote: If you online PS an RBC Avion to an RBC Rewards+ Visa:

1. do the existing RBC Rewards points from an Avion card automatically get transferred to the RBC Rewards+ Visa with the online PS ... Or do you need to PS over the phone, to have a rep make a manual transfer of RBC Reward points?

2. is the Card # the same with the PS, or new # for the Rewards+ Visa?

Thanks!
1. Automatically.

2. In my experience, it has been a new number.
Jan 4, 2010
6 posts
1 upvote
Hi hope all are well and having a great day !

I am questioning myself bout cancelling my Cobalt (14 months in...) and re-applying in 6 months or just keep it for 5 X on food ? Right now most spend is going on Platinum or Bonvoy and HSBC WE for non-Amex.

What are you guys doing with Cobalt ? keeper ? or Churn ?

Thanks,
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
3654 posts
3054 upvotes
Since we're on the topic of RBC PS, does RBC give any WB for PS? And FYF?

I have an RBC card that I'm not using and want to close, but should I reconsider and do some PS instead?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
bubak wrote: Since we're on the topic of RBC PS, does RBC give any WB for PS? And FYF?

I have an RBC card that I'm not using and want to close, but should I reconsider and do some PS instead?
You’ll be charged the annual fee (no FYF) and get the basic opening offer, no extended/elevated offers.

So if there’s a current promotion for say 25K Avions after $1K MSR, you’ll only get the basic 15K plus a charge of $120 AF on the first day of the following month.

If there’s a current promotion for say $350 WestJet Dollars, you’ll get the basic $250 plus a charge of $119 AF on the first day of the following month.
*** My private mail inbox is full. Cannot receive new messages. ***
Countdown - 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Done@6603. 2022-07-26 3:17pm ET.
Feb 8, 2014
997 posts
535 upvotes
YVR
Limonadier wrote: Hi hope all are well and having a great day !

I am questioning myself bout cancelling my Cobalt (14 months in...) and re-applying in 6 months or just keep it for 5 X on food ? Right now most spend is going on Platinum or Bonvoy and HSBC WE for non-Amex.

What are you guys doing with Cobalt ? keeper ? or Churn ?

Thanks,
Keeper for me. I spend enough on 5x monthly to make it worth my while. Also, given the recent events with Amex closing down accounts and removing points, it is YMMV on churning Amex cards.
Jan 26, 2020
254 posts
134 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote: You’ll be charged the annual fee (no FYF) and get the basic opening offer, no extended/elevated offers.

So if there’s a current promotion for say 25K Avions after $1K MSR, you’ll only get the basic 15K plus a charge of $120 AF on the first day of the following month.

If there’s a current promotion for say $350 WestJet Dollars, you’ll get the basic $250 plus a charge of $119 AF on the first day of the following month.
Thanks for that, I had no clue.

I just sent a secure message to RBC requesting a cancellation on my pending PS to WestJet world elite.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2018
2265 posts
1511 upvotes
prmetime wrote: Keeper for me. I spend enough on 5x monthly to make it worth my while. Also, given the recent events with Amex closing down accounts and removing points, it is YMMV on churning Amex cards.
Cobalt is a keeper for 5x, their 2x categories come in handy too.

For a non-rfder, it can truly be one card solution.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
23019 posts
6892 upvotes
Scarberia
Besides the cobalt 5%..what's the best cc to have for groceries... Bmo Cb we is 10% first 2k I know that... Cheers
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)