Food & Drink

Jimmy's Chinese Style Beef Jerky No More?

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2011 12:01 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1883 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary

Jimmy's Chinese Style Beef Jerky No More?

This was my favorite beef jerky growing up. I had been eating it since the 80s but I haven't seen it in stores for a few years now. What happened to it? It was made in Vancouver but I haven't seen it for a long time and I heard they might have gone out of business.

Is this true? If so, what the heck am I going to do? I've never had beef jerky like this anywhere else. Jimmy's Beef Jerky was VERY VERY thin, like paper thin and absolutely delicious compared to other thick jerkies.
31 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2004
1762 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
I can't find it anywhere either (In Toronto that is).

The last I bought was around 1999-2000, after that, it disappeared.

Oh the memories...Yum!

I Googled the company's name and found their phone number to be (604) 668-5800 but I don't know if the company's database is out of date or not. Goodluck with your search and please tell us if we can find any!
Paulfistinyourface wrote:This is RFD. High moral values are way down the ladder of acceptability around here. It's all about stepping on your grandmothers throat to save a buck.
Heatware
Deal Addict
May 5, 2005
2206 posts
1 upvote
I *think* that I saw it a few months ago at the big chinese supermarket at Market Village (in Markham, Ontario)

maybe the box is smaller
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1883 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary
keanefan wrote:I *think* that I saw it a few months ago at the big chinese supermarket at Market Village (in Markham, Ontario)

maybe the box is smaller
Please let me know if you ever see this again.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5334 posts
780 upvotes
The next time i'm at T&T supermarket i'll look around for Jimmy's.

I love that stuff. I'll eat every little bit of jerky crumbs at the bottom of the shrink wrap.

However, a little while ago I ate some "Chinese-style" jerky made from some place on Victoria street(?) in vancouver and it was delish! A little thicker than Jimmy's ... but man it was good. Had that glaze on it and it was moist but not overly so. The only thing was that it was a little pricey compared to Jimmy's. But i'd buy that stuff in a heartbeat. Have to ask my folks where they got it.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2004
1251 posts
17 upvotes
Sorry to revive an old thread.

But I really wanna find out if this Beef Jerky is available still.

Fond memories as a child.
Vancouver
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12990 posts
1471 upvotes
i used to eat this stuff all the time when i lived in vancouver. last time i visited in 2005, my uncle said they stopped selling it for some reason.

Somebody from vancouver should call them and ask!

Jimmy's Fine Foods Ltd
2020 Dundas St, Vancouver, BC, V5L 1J4
604-253-3944
Fax: 604-254-6616

google turned up another phone number too: 604-254-6616
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
3593 posts
379 upvotes
Richmond
I remember seeing this in Chinatown everyday as a child, haven't seen it in a while though
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2004
1762 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone on the west side willing to call them? We all know people in Toronto are too cheap to call :lol:

Other chinese/asian jerky's are too thick and rubbery...bleh...
Paulfistinyourface wrote:This is RFD. High moral values are way down the ladder of acceptability around here. It's all about stepping on your grandmothers throat to save a buck.
Heatware
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12227 posts
157 upvotes
TheDarkRage wrote: Anyone on the west side willing to call them? We all know people in Toronto are too cheap to call :lol:

Other chinese/asian jerky's are too thick and rubbery...bleh...
im interested in this jerky, but im not calling up and having the jerky mailed to me from some random chinese market.

i might get my buddy in Vancouver to grab me a bag when he comes here next.
Dec 13, 2006
623 posts
31 upvotes
This brings back so many many many memories. My mom and grandmother used to get me Jimmy's Beef Jerky when I was small. It's so sad they stopped making them. I wonder why they stopped. I would pay $100 just to taste it one more time.
-----------------------------------------
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12698 posts
15949 upvotes
I am pretty sure Jimmy's Find foods went out of business, even though they still have a office. The manufactuing plant is closed.
Have a nice day!

Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5334 posts
780 upvotes
guardianflash wrote: This brings back so many many many memories. My mom and grandmother used to get me Jimmy's Beef Jerky when I was small. It's so sad they stopped making them. I wonder why they stopped. I would pay $100 just to taste it one more time.
It's burned into my memory ... I can still taste it. :cheesygri
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Dec 13, 2006
623 posts
31 upvotes
miss_swan I PMed you about this about a year ago.
-----------------------------------------
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5334 posts
780 upvotes
guardianflash wrote: miss_swan I PMed you about this about a year ago.
Wow, really? Sorry ... i'll have to check my messages ...
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
Feb 2, 2009
1 posts
I registered on this site simply to respond to this post.

I am in San Francisco and just had this pop into my head one day and my sister forwarded this to me.

dagnabbit!!! I called the Vancouver # you guys posted and it's disconnected.

more beer i guess will numb the pain. i'll drown in my sorrows of not being able to get this :)
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1883 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary
I am so sad that I will goto the grave and never taste Jimmy's Chinese Style Beef Jerky again, especially the hot flavour. I remember taking a bag to lunch in Grade 6 here in Calgary and sharing it and everybody was in love with it.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2004
1762 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
Come on, there's got to be an entrepreneur in the country who wants to make this product again, heh heh.

Quick, somebody go on Dragon's Den for this idea! :lol:
Heatware
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
2197 posts
even if u find some jimmy's at some small grocer it probably wouldnt be too fresh at this point
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2004
1762 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
silentio wrote: even if u find some jimmy's at some small grocer it probably wouldnt be too fresh at this point
Which probably explains why it was so good; much less preservatives than western jerky.

I don't know if they patented it though. Maybe they'll sell off the recipe one day.
Heatware

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)