Careers

Which job can you make 40-50,000 a year without much education?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2009 10:09 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 15, 2008
112 posts
ca
sparkplug wrote:
Apr 25th, 2006 11:20 am
What happens to tradespeople after they work for a couple decades and their bodies break down?
It depends what you do. One of the reasons i picked an electrician, it wasn't that physically demanding. And yes after time you are the Journeyman, you get apprentices to do all the lugging while you supervise and go over somethings.

I know welders who make 200,000 per six months working on the pipelines. That is physically hard but the pay is very good. High pressure welders make big big big money.

Plumbers have more lugging and millwrights have some as well. But don't think our bodies break down, some do sure but others are fine and like i said you have apprentices under you who do the work. I will retire at 50 years old and no regrets and i certainly haven't killed myself.
Oct 15, 2008
112 posts
ca
ji2o0k wrote:
Apr 26th, 2006 1:07 pm
actually OP stated without much education, so I am assuming he has some or all of highschool

yeah as I previously stated, there is a shortage of skilled/trades labour and the government of ontario has set up apprenticeship programs (i.e. Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program). It is a combination of on-the-job work experience and in-class learning. But you do have to find an employer that will hire you. Benefit for the employer are tax breaks given by the government.

More info on Ontario Apprenticeship program

OR apply to the local union: International brotherhood of ___________ . You will have to meet the min requirements and they like to see some background in college or university in electronics, math and physics. Than you write an aptitude test and maybe you get hired on , depending where your test score is.

Good luck
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4929 posts
708 upvotes
Maple
You can sell car (imports). If you are good, you can get paid over 60K.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34260 posts
1458 upvotes
Toronto
paulkloss wrote:
Jan 14th, 2009 5:23 pm
It depends what you do. One of the reasons i picked an electrician, it wasn't that physically demanding. And yes after time you are the Journeyman, you get apprentices to do all the lugging while you supervise and go over somethings.

I know welders who make 200,000 per six months working on the pipelines. That is physically hard but the pay is very good. High pressure welders make big big big money.

Plumbers have more lugging and millwrights have some as well. But don't think our bodies break down, some do sure but others are fine and like i said you have apprentices under you who do the work. I will retire at 50 years old and no regrets and i certainly haven't killed myself.
I think it might be the opposite...
Keep up a healthy diet, and your work might serve as exercise.

look @ mike holmes biceps.

I doubt he goes home after 10 hrs on a job to do bicep curls.
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
× < >