Tags:
None
[OP]
May 10, 2018
2 posts
3 upvotes

Job description doesn't align with current Role

Hello RFD,

I recently started a rotational program at a major Bank/FI. The job requirements mentioned I'd be working with the Big Data team and working with complex structure and unstructured data using various technologies/programming languages to deliver high quality work. They mentioned I'd work with the Big Data architects who'd guide me and help me out.

In the last 2 roles, I've done minor ETL and database work, but nothing related to Big Data or the technologies listed in the job description. I figured my 2nd role would include this exposure, but does not. I'm starting to think there was a big disconnect between HR and my Directors about the job requirements. I feel they've used Big Data and buzz terms to make the role enticing, but this is simply not the case.

I'm grateful for all the exposure to other business areas but a bit frustrated. I'm not sure what to do here, so looking for advice from many of the longtime professionals here.

How or what should I be doing do address this? There is a strong indication I can develop upwards into management based in past participants, so I'm not trying to burn bridges. Thanks!
11 replies
Jan 13, 2017
91 posts
25 upvotes
Like you said, you never did anything related to Big Data or the technologies listed in the past. Who will let you touch it immediately when you just started? Maybe give it a bit more time and work will come to you. If not, find a new job.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6017 posts
947 upvotes
Chompy wrote:
May 12th, 2018 9:21 am
Hello RFD,

I recently started a rotational program at a major Bank/FI. The job requirements mentioned I'd be working with the Big Data team and working with complex structure and unstructured data using various technologies/programming languages to deliver high quality work. They mentioned I'd work with the Big Data architects who'd guide me and help me out.

In the last 2 roles, I've done minor ETL and database work, but nothing related to Big Data or the technologies listed in the job description. I figured my 2nd role would include this exposure, but does not. I'm starting to think there was a big disconnect between HR and my Directors about the job requirements. I feel they've used Big Data and buzz terms to make the role enticing, but this is simply not the case.

I'm grateful for all the exposure to other business areas but a bit frustrated. I'm not sure what to do here, so looking for advice from many of the longtime professionals here.

How or what should I be doing do address this? There is a strong indication I can develop upwards into management based in past participants, so I'm not trying to burn bridges. Thanks!
Not sure what a rotational program is but minor ETL and DB work might not translate well to working with big data - unless the expectation was you going in as a junior big data analyst/programmer. I've worked with both
________

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Nov 15, 2016
153 posts
51 upvotes
Shark828 wrote:
May 12th, 2018 1:26 pm
Like you said, you never did anything related to Big Data or the technologies listed in the past. Who will let you touch it immediately when you just started? Maybe give it a bit more time and work will come to you. If not, find a new job.
Hi this is OP, for some reason they banned my other account. In the past I haven't worked with Big Data, but this was more of a junior role working alongside Data architects, that is what the job description stated which is not the case.

blexann wrote:
May 12th, 2018 1:28 pm
Not sure what a rotational program is but minor ETL and DB work might not translate well to working with big data - unless the expectation was you going in as a junior big data analyst/programmer. I've worked with both
Rotational program is where you rotate through multiple roles inside a specific Business unit (IT/Big Data group). The expectation from the job description was I would be a junior BD analyst/programmer working alongside the data architects.
This is simply not the case, as they are putting me in roles not related/working with data at all.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6017 posts
947 upvotes
Toad99 wrote:
May 13th, 2018 7:43 pm
Rotational program is where you rotate through multiple roles inside a specific Business unit (IT/Big Data group). The expectation from the job description was I would be a junior BD analyst/programmer working alongside the data architects.
This is simply not the case, as they are putting me in roles not related/working with data at all.
what are your duties exactly then?
________

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Jan 1, 2017
311 posts
188 upvotes
Don’t talk to HR, go to talk to your manager for this role. Don’t be too focused on the job description but say you expected that you will get experience with big data and you were wondering when that is coming.
Jan 14, 2017
15 posts
Vancouver, BC
Toad99 wrote:
May 13th, 2018 7:43 pm
Sounds like the program starts off with exposure to the business side and then gets more technical later on; maybe look for people who have completed the same program and see where they are at in their careers on Linkedin?
Aug 31, 2017
983 posts
243 upvotes
OP I’m slightly confused. If it’s a rotational program, I don’t believe there would be any set description.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1463 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
May 14th, 2018 4:13 pm
OP I’m slightly confused. If it’s a rotational program, I don’t believe there would be any set description.
Maybe he just means co-op/internship. Some co-ops cycle between different teams/business lines at their choosing so it's less rotational and more giving them the option of continuing or switching to a different area.
Nov 15, 2016
153 posts
51 upvotes
blexann wrote:
May 13th, 2018 7:47 pm
what are your duties exactly then?
The job description didn't list out duties for the Bank. It simply stated I'd work under the big data arm of IT, working with Apache Pig, Hive, Sqoop, Lumara, SaaS, and SAP during my rotations. I have not had exposure to any of the technologies.
ProductGuy wrote:
May 14th, 2018 9:19 am
Don’t talk to HR, go to talk to your manager for this role. Don’t be too focused on the job description but say you expected that you will get experience with big data and you were wondering when that is coming.
I think this might be the best temporary resolution before this turns into an HR situation. I'm a bit frustrated regarding this exposure so far.

Myselff wrote:
May 14th, 2018 1:55 pm
Sounds like the program starts off with exposure to the business side and then gets more technical later on; maybe look for people who have completed the same program and see where they are at in their careers on Linkedin?
Its a technical IT role, focused around Big Data arm of the Bank. The role has been recently created, i'm one of the newest participants, so plotting a career trajectory is out of luck. However, the business side has
moved from their rotational roles into Senior management and Director positions within 2-4 years.
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
May 14th, 2018 4:13 pm
There was a set description, not job functions, but the role for the banking rotation did outline what type of exposure I would have when in the IT role.
gqbluez wrote:
May 14th, 2018 5:02 pm
Maybe he just means co-op/internship. Some co-ops cycle between different teams/business lines at their choosing so it's less rotational and more giving them the option of continuing or switching to a different area.
Not a co-op or internship. These are company curated rotational leadership programs created for grooming the participants towards senior management roles after completion.
Jan 1, 2017
311 posts
188 upvotes
OP I think you are missing a major point here.. the rotational program is meant to give you different experiences AND build bridges for you across the organization. I recommend you just stick it out till the next rotation cycles if the conversation with your manager doesn’t go anywhere. Going to HR won’t change your role but will for sure burn the bridge with the current manager and team you are on. Remember it’s a rotational program so you will soon move on to the next role. You will only hurt yourself by going to HR at this time and HR won’t do anything.
Jul 1, 2017
216 posts
119 upvotes
You need to talk with your boss; sitting around being paranoid about having accepted the wrong role will only make you mentally unstable. If your boss is good, you'll find exposure and/or be introduced to other areas that will utilize your skill-set.

I questioned my previous job; talked with my boss and ended up being connected with another team to cross-utilize my time; 6 months later, I was offered a promotion and a raise at 2x salary.

On that note, "https://www2.deloitte.com/ca/en/pages/d ... ytics.html"

Why are accounting firms trying to cash in on this data frenzy? I worked at two different accounting firms; nobody in either firm gave a shit about data. I even made models using external software to manage +200mb excel files worth of data and when I presented 'solutions', I was chastized for going over budget. If practice made good managers, that probably could have been pitched as a job offer a lot earlier in my career.

**** right off accounting firms; you have no business with data then, you sure as shit don't now. I'm bitter because people are finally starting to see the importance of data, and these same people didn't give a shit about it when a junior was telling them about it. I'm bringing this up because, like you, I love data - but I found a niche for it and molded a career with it. Now, I run with data and I can make the calls on what to do with it.

You're in control of your career - not someone else. If this role turns out to be garbage - leave.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)