• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2006 5:35 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
165 upvotes
TheOneBarton wrote:Sooo.....she stole shoes for you and her??
no she was trying to sell them
Oct 12, 2004
659 posts
1 upvote
canabiz wrote:I could use a buddy of mine and put his name on the resume and say he was my supervisor at this X company doing this Y job...i would tell him to throw in some technical words like CDMA and Optical and stuff like that when they call to check, that is if they even bother calling at all...make no mistakes the HR bimbos aren't the brightest in the world...

Point is, reference checks aren't all that. and i mean c'mon Athletes World ? No disrespect but Is that minimum wage + commissions ?
No, you would be a complete tool if you did that. Advice to anyone out there, NEVER do this. I've worked with recruiting before in retail, and trust me, when they do reference checks (especially bigs like Forzani Grp.), they will check out the credibility of not only yourself, but a suspect business. If it turns out you're lying, you will be instantly fired, and could find authorities on your ass (it's happened before to fraudulent scam artists, i've seen the cases).
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12184 posts
5651 upvotes
Ottawa
freethebees wrote:No, you would be a complete tool if you did that. Advice to anyone out there, NEVER do this. I've worked with recruiting before in retail, and trust me, when they do reference checks (especially bigs like Forzani Grp.), they will check out the credibility of not only yourself, but a suspect business. If it turns out you're lying, you will be instantly fired, and could find authorities on your ass (it's happened before to fraudulent scam artists, i've seen the cases).

OK how are you gonna deal with this situation ? I worked at Nortel before and my supervisor was laid off during the hi-tech debacle back in 2001.

Obviously, i don't know where he went or what he did now...so on a few occasions, to *prove* that i worked at Nortel before, i had to use the name of a colleague back then whom I still keep in touch until this day. Granted, he wasn't my direct supervisor per se but you got my point.

I'm not saying you should lie about references, all I'm saying is you have to be flexible, depending on the circumstances, employers know companies go under, people move, business change. If you and your references sound credible enough, i don't see what's the problem.