• Jul 17th, 2017 11:46 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2007
794 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto

job interview in Trento

I went to a job interview in Trenton today. it was 1hr 45min drive from TO. the company has all legacy computers and analog nortel phone.
it was exhausting drive back. they give me time to consider the job. they willing to teach me from scratch installing PBX phone system. the phone room is an absolute disaster area. all wires are running on the floor. there is no cabinet or rack for servers or routers.

should I take the job? it is really far from TO
19 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4092 posts
1846 upvotes
Edmonton
How can anyone offer you useful advice on a scenario like this? It's an entirely personal decision.

C
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7524 posts
773 upvotes
Markham
1.45 drive each day go and back?
You will hate it very soon and quit this job. Time plus Gas.

Do you have other options? If this is the only job you can find and you need the money to survive, take it while you can,
The way you asking this question in this thread is already a NO in your mind.

Are you willing to relocate down the road?
Many people willing to relocate for the job if it leads to a good career.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4630 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing wrong with the place as they are hiring you to clean up the disaster you seen?
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1432 posts
463 upvotes
Ottawa
No Frills wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 4:51 pm
Nothing wrong with the place as they are hiring you to clean up the disaster you seen?
And if they pay you well to do it...
"Doing my part to encourage civil discourse by not downvoting."
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2007
794 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
No Frills wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 4:51 pm
they are hiring many people including CAD technicians, sale staff, IT staff. IT staff supposed to clean up the cables, install new CISCO routers, new computers. the mess in phone room scares me since I haven't seen this out of dated Nortel equipments over a decade. No companies would use this 15 yrs old stuff in phone system or IT room. it has zero security features.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7524 posts
773 upvotes
Markham
picard12 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 4:55 pm
they are hiring many people including CAD technicians, sale staff, IT staff. IT staff supposed to clean up the cables, install new CISCO routers, new computers. the mess in phone room scares me since I haven't seen this out of dated Nortel equipments over a decade. No companies would use this 15 yrs old stuff in phone system or IT room. it has zero security features.
You feel and said things negative about the company already.
Deny the job offer and move on.

/thread
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4630 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
picard12 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 4:55 pm
So they are in the process of upgrading and you have an opportunity to be part of that phase.

Everyone always wants to join a good team instead of creating one...I guess there's nothing wrong with that, Kevin Durant did that.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2239 posts
686 upvotes
Toronto
Any chance you can extend your work day to shorten the work week?
If so consider grabbing a cheap motel or AirBNB bed for a few nights.
That would reduce the travel factor.
Have you looked into VIA Rail or bus schedules? Commuting does not always mean driving.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3011 posts
289 upvotes
Mississauga
If your able to turn around there operation you look like genius and can be a career boost for you in the future.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Dec 2, 2007
794 posts
85 upvotes
Toronto
I am reluctant about this job since the drive was exhausting for me. I am not sure I can drive everyday
Dec 16, 2014
757 posts
383 upvotes
i commute within gta <40km and it takes well over an hour
Jan 26, 2017
82 posts
52 upvotes
You should ask your wife if you should take the job...
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4092 posts
1846 upvotes
Edmonton
picard12 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2017 12:13 pm
I am reluctant about this job since the drive was exhausting for me. I am not sure I can drive everyday
Then don't take it. Problem solved.

C
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
8237 posts
1280 upvotes
you would be surprised how many companies are not VOIP, many are still analogue, and it has nothing to do with security. I'm not sure how security even factors into a phone system anyways, I run an Avaya system, I never once talked security when buying the solution. Sounds like a good opportunity to me, minus the drive. to go into a company, and upgrade everything, put your stamp and style on the work