• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2019 7:47 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2723 posts
2772 upvotes
Toronto

Job Mandatory Break Question

I got a job at one of the big 5 banks a few weeks ago, an office job.

37.5 hours a week so 7.5 hours paid daily.

Included in the 7.5 hours is 30 minutes of paid break.

In Ontario it's mandatory to take a 30 minute lunch break after 5 hours of work.

So is taking a lunch break necessary if you use the 30 mins paid break to eat lunch?

My manager is cool and does not care about anything as long as you put in your 7.5 hours you can come and go as you please. He's more result based oriented.

My managers been on vacation the past two weeks and recently the director (my manager's manager) sent everyone a mass email saying you must take 1 hour lunch breaks everyday and can't shorten your breaks to leave early.

By law we are required to take 30 minute lunches after 5 hours, so even with 1 hour he's pushing it.

I'd prefer just to work 7.5 hours straight and leave so I can go to the gym or enjoy the rest of my day.

If that doesn't work then I'm cool with 7.5 hours + 30 mins mandatory lunch break

I don't want to waste an hour at work everyday.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2019
1145 posts
1884 upvotes
Canada
Looks like the director is saying 1 hour. This can be broken down to a 30 minute lunch break (unpaid) and 2 x 15 minute breaks (paid). For example, a morning break and afternoon break. The director is following labour guidelines. It's only for a short time, until the manager returns
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
As long as the boss is meeting labour standards, your option is to take it or leave it. The job, that is. I’d just keep quiet until your regular manager comes back, and go from there.

C
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1791 posts
1181 upvotes
Vancouver
CNeufeld wrote: As long as the boss is meeting labour standards, your option is to take it or leave it. The job, that is. I’d just keep quiet until your regular manager comes back, and go from there.

C
Not to mention OP just started the job. Would be a quick way to lose one by defying your director's orders. An hour lunch is pretty common regardless.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10243 upvotes
BengaliPrince wrote: I got a job at one of the big 5 banks a few weeks ago, an office job.

37.5 hours a week so 7.5 hours paid daily.

Included in the 7.5 hours is 30 minutes of paid break.

In Ontario it's mandatory to take a 30 minute lunch break after 5 hours of work.

So is taking a lunch break necessary if you use the 30 mins paid break to eat lunch?

My manager is cool and does not care about anything as long as you put in your 7.5 hours you can come and go as you please. He's more result based oriented.

My managers been on vacation the past two weeks and recently the director (my manager's manager) sent everyone a mass email saying you must take 1 hour lunch breaks everyday and can't shorten your breaks to leave early.

By law we are required to take 30 minute lunches after 5 hours, so even with 1 hour he's pushing it.

I'd prefer just to work 7.5 hours straight and leave so I can go to the gym or enjoy the rest of my day.

If that doesn't work then I'm cool with 7.5 hours + 30 mins mandatory lunch break

I don't want to waste an hour at work everyday.
Ontario employment laws don't apply to you as banks are federally regulated
Jun 2, 2012
329 posts
319 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Statsguy is correct with caveat that you may be employed by a subsidiary regulated in Ontario.

So you need to figure out if your division is federally or
Provincially regulated. Often, the investment arms are provincially regulated and separate legal entities.
Jan 14, 2010
701 posts
249 upvotes
Central Ontario
These laws aren't made simply to keep you at work longer even if you're an efficient worker-robot. It's much healthier on your psyche to take regular breaks to walk, eat, socialize, etc.
Signed: hypocrite who eats lunch at their desk Disappointed But Relieved Face