• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2017 5:21 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 1, 2015
69 posts
1 upvote

Job Offer with drawn!!

My friend recently got hired by one of the big bank, he went thru series of interviews, got verbal offer from the manager congratulating him. He got written offer, signed it and sent back with a given start date to join. When he went join he was sent home that his offer is on hold, and later when he got home he received an email from HR manager that his start date has been delayed and will get a new start date. After one week he called to follow up and the manager informed him his offer has been declined. Than the area manager called and informed that his job offer has been declined. He has not received anything in writing neither the reason of refusal just verbal declination of the offer and the bank just updated on their website that he is no longer considered for the role.
30 replies
Apr 14, 2017
187 posts
60 upvotes
DT Calgary
He is SOL if the contract said he was on a probationary period and/or can fired at a moments notice during such a period. Move on.
[OP]
Oct 1, 2015
69 posts
1 upvote
Contract didn't mention anything about termination
Oct 24, 2016
95 posts
60 upvotes
ON
That really sucks. What if someone resigned from his/her previous job to start the new job?
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
[OP]
Oct 1, 2015
69 posts
1 upvote
Yes, that's what exactly happened he declined another job offer
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
4929 posts
474 upvotes
milton75 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 9:04 pm
My friend recently got hired by one of the big bank, he went thru series of interviews, got verbal offer from the manager congratulating him. He got written offer, signed it and sent back with a given start date to join. When he went join he was sent home that his offer is on hold, and later when he got home he received an email from HR manager that his start date has been delayed and will get a new start date. After one week he called to follow up and the manager informed him his offer has been declined. Than the area manager called and informed that his job offer has been declined. He has not received anything in writing neither the reason of refusal just verbal declination of the offer and the bank just updated on their website that he is no longer considered for the role.
I work for one of the big banks and this is very strange behavior. Generally you need to have high level sign off (VP+) to post a position and hire someone.

Only way I can think of this scenario occurring is massive behind the scenes restructuring OR your friend failed the background/criminal check.
[OP]
Oct 1, 2015
69 posts
1 upvote
He didn't receive anything in writing, so don't know the reason
Apr 14, 2017
187 posts
60 upvotes
DT Calgary
milton75 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 9:13 pm
Contract didn't mention anything about termination
Lol, your telling me a major bank didn't have any mention of termination or probation in a new hire? Ya right.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26609 posts
1631 upvotes
Winnipeg
FreshCo wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 9:06 pm
He is SOL if the contract said he was on a probationary period and/or can fired at a moments notice during such a period. Move on.
isn't 3 month probation standard and automatic?
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Apr 14, 2017
187 posts
60 upvotes
DT Calgary
divx wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 10:16 pm
isn't 3 month probation standard and automatic?
Almost universal in big corporations; sometimes it will be even longer than 3 months.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26609 posts
1631 upvotes
Winnipeg
FreshCo wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 10:26 pm
Almost universal in big corporations; sometimes it will be even longer than 3 months.
pretty much what i've seen with small firms too, makes me think it is standard
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Mar 17, 2016
333 posts
205 upvotes
Maybe HR did some digging and found something they didn't like? Or someone "better suited" became available
Jan 15, 2017
407 posts
245 upvotes
Very unfortunate. It does happen, especially in larger organizations where there are many people involved in the hiring process. It may be that they discovered something in a background check. But, having worked in HR for large organizations, the most common reason is stupid administrative error. Your buddy may have not succeeded at some point in the selection process, and instead of updating the file correctly and removing him from the selection, he continued to advance to the end. The mistake was only discovered at the end when someone did a complete review of the hire.

I had a manager who told me early in her career she did just that - updated the file incorrectly. The guy was offered the job and letter of offer signed. She ended up calling him to tell him the bad news and when she called, he was at his going away party. Myself, I had an assistant who made a mistake and sent the incorrect notification to everyone - all those who were successful were sent notifications stating that they weren't successful and vice versa. That was a nightmare to correct with lots of grievances and complaints filed.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23210 posts
1041 upvotes
Markham, ON
if this is your friend ...why not post the bank name so we can stop doing business with them.