• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2017 5:21 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9640 posts
1282 upvotes
Toronto
You and your friend's story sound very shady.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1073 posts
453 upvotes
I seriously feel something is missing from this story. Any big organization would not simply turn down a new joiner of their day of joining. That too without giving a reason.
Yes, an employee could be fired during probation, but probation comes into picture only after joining. Not before that.

I guess something must have flagged during the background check. And even then, the recruiter keeps you updated throughout the process to advise if you cleared checks or not.
It is always a wise idea to resign only after your background checks are done.
Jul 11, 2011
861 posts
500 upvotes
Ontario
Hmmmm, they probably did a FB check and saw him rockin' the duck-face selfies.

That kinda stuff will catch up to you every time.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6115 posts
930 upvotes
Mississauga
Perhaps certain elements of your resume or application were not accurate, and they were able to catch it on the background check?
Last edited by Raggie on Apr 20th, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Aug 10, 2015
237 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto
References probably didn't pan out
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14177 posts
2535 upvotes
Toronto
Do they not do the background check before giving the offer? Maybe consult with a lawyer.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1859 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto
carmaster wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 8:40 pm
Do they not do the background check before giving the offer? Maybe consult with a lawyer.
Pointless and waste of money. Nothing really the lawyer can do. The bank would have done over this with theirs. OP should move on.
Temp. Banned
Dec 2, 2007
855 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't put hope on getting hire by any banks. They are extremely conservative and treat workers like crap.

IT is best to look elsewhere
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3985 posts
1146 upvotes
OP likely forgot to write "CONDITIONAL" before Offer.

Your friend likely failed a Background Check or Credit Check.

Another small possibility is that son/daughter of some Bank VP wanted a job. It was decided that your job could be screwed up without any consequences, so some Bank VP now has an employed kid with a Liberal Arts Degree.

Although it should be noted that some Universities are now classifying Business Degrees as Arts Degrees. You would think they would want to perpetuate the myth, but it seems someone wants prospective students to know the true value.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1426 posts
353 upvotes
Toronto, ON
since this seems to happen, If signing the contract is not yet 100% guarantee that you got the job since they can still reject you on your start date., when is the best time to submit a resignation if you need 2-week notice of your current?
Apr 14, 2017
203 posts
66 upvotes
DT Calgary
They probably found out you are an RFD degenerate and decided to not hire you, sorry OP!
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4222 posts
715 upvotes
Either:
1) Failed background check
2) Their top candidate who declined the offer initially changed mind and they strongly prefer that person over you
3) Someone in position of power knows you and doesn't like you
4) Major restructuring event, or maybe the related management team had always been on the fence about the value of this position. Then something happened and they decided not to have this position anymore

It sucks...but you need to move on. Sometimes seeking legal recourse is not worth it. You can't force them to have you work and still expect to build a career path. If you had quit your previous job to move to this position, then you can argue for some damage. You can talk to an employment lawyer and see if he thinks you have a case. But I wouldn't expect much, and your time is probably better spent looking for your next gig.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2081 posts
499 upvotes
milton75 wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 9:04 pm
My friend recently got hired by one of the big bank, he went thru series of interviews, got verbal offer from the manager congratulating him. He got written offer, signed it and sent back with a given start date to join. When he went join he was sent home that his offer is on hold, and later when he got home he received an email from HR manager that his start date has been delayed and will get a new start date. After one week he called to follow up and the manager informed him his offer has been declined. Than the area manager called and informed that his job offer has been declined. He has not received anything in writing neither the reason of refusal just verbal declination of the offer and the bank just updated on their website that he is no longer considered for the role.
After having worked for one of the big banks for many years and hired individuals as well it sounds like something went sideways on the police background check. I have also seen people lie about their educational background and when HR verifies the information it does not match up.
Dec 16, 2014
792 posts
405 upvotes
Easter Island
Raggie wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 12:22 pm
Perhaps certain elements of your resume or application were not accurate, and they were able to catch it on the background check?
Unlikely, thorough checks are done before any offer.
Aug 8, 2010
376 posts
37 upvotes
karakoram wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2017 2:34 pm
Unlikely, thorough checks are done before any offer.
and if those are the cases, they could just tell him the reason why he wasn't hired.

so, I suspect in this case, it's not OP's fault. but the bank screwed up.