Careers

Job Posting: Mechatronics Engineer (Jr-Int)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2017 10:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2694 posts
504 upvotes

Job Posting: Mechatronics Engineer (Jr-Int)

Hi RFD!

I don't often post jobs but I'm a little stuck on this one. Disclaimer: As some of you RFDers know, I'm a Corporate Recruiter for a global company.

The job:
- 1 year contract tied to a specific project.
- Project is confidential, no details to be disclosed. All i can promise is it's really awesome and unique!
- Located in Markham, transit accessible or free parking, Plug in stations available!

Here's what I'm looking for:
- 0-4 years experience, fresh grads are fine. I'm hiring at least 2. Bachelor's great, Master's nice. College Tech program with Bachelor's great!
- Mechatronics or Mech Eng with decent electronics engineering exposure, or vice versa.
- Portfolio of projects on video and images, designs and drawings. Anything goes, from high school projects to pet projects to Master's thesis.
- Handy all around! No stranger to tools, workshop environment, and can design/prototype stuff. Coding in C, python, etc is nice, but I'm not looking for a coder, just someone who could understand coders.
- Data extraction and analytics from mechanical applications. Figuring out how to tap in and get data, and making sense of the data as feedback.
- Soft skills: Big imagination, big personality, and bringing an engineer's attitude and work ethic (ERTW etc etc)

please PM directly with your contact info and a quick summary. I will reply and let you know if it fits into what I need.

It's a one year contract but I can promise it's an opportunity that would be truly awesome and not boring.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1549 posts
869 upvotes
You want someone bordering on a rocket scientist, but on a 1 year contract with a 'global company'?

See the problem here? Those kinds of people, with actual skills, don't like to be treated like disposable workers. You can't go to the bank and buy a house or even refinance a student loan on a 1 year contract!

Also, I should point out, most engineers, at least at the level you're apparently trying to recruit (0-4 years 'experience') want to work for/with and be hired/evaluated by other engineers (its basically a requirement of professional licensure in Canada!). When a recruiter claims that they're personally doing the hiring "I'm hiring 2", that, in and of itself, says a lot about the sort of proposition that your organization is putting forward, that HR recruiters are allowed to make such important business decisions.

Lots of great people out there, but a few tweaks to your recruiting process would go a long ways towards enhancing the sort of talent you're able to attract.