• Jun 17th, 2018 9:39 am
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
so the point is?

Like in one of the example in the article, if the Toronto rent is so expensive, why not go back to Montreal? Oh right because "she moved to Toronto from Montreal for a 40 per cent bump up in pay". Let's just ban all corporations from having offices in Toronto, all expensive rents and RE problems will be gone, guaranteed!
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4530 posts
4060 upvotes
I was looking at prices of some condos in bigger American cities like Boston. More expensive than Toronto.

And I wonder how do people get jobs with this interesting tidbit
Even those with more resources find it tough. Three years ago, Justin Wood and his wife, Stephanie, bought a three-bedroom penthouse condo for about $430,000. Its price surged by about $181,000 and this year they decided to upgrade to a house, with a toddler in tow.

“We thought we were going to be rich and it was going to be amazing,” said Wood, 33, who is now chief executive officer of his own Toronto-based tech startup. But living in Toronto was too expensive.
So, they thought only their place went up in price but expect the rest of the world should sell at a discount

Toronto Star - worse than daily mail.
Last edited by BiegeToyota on Jun 7th, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
toronto star is an ndp leaning paper, what do you expect?
Jan 30, 2016
111 posts
29 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Come to Montreal folks, life is good here.

I pay $625/month for my 2 bedroom rent, so 315 for my room actually, and its near subway station, not suburban.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
4530 posts
4060 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote: Yes Condos are still cheaper in Toronto but detached houses especially a fair distance from the city are much cheaper. Why do prices drop so quickly in US cities as you head to even nice suburbs but are still above $1 million an ungodly distance from downtown Toronto?
I guess this is the reason why detached in the middle of nowhere are experiencing stagnation and condos are doing fine. Toronto has just been catching up with the rest of the world. However, to become a truly world class city it needs better transport. That being said, Australia is probably even worse.
Deal Expert
Feb 22, 2011
16521 posts
21869 upvotes
Toronto
You know what all the places with high rent to income ratios have in common? They are all amazing places to live.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52936 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
broody wrote: Come to Montreal folks, life is good here.

I pay $625/month for my 2 bedroom rent, so 315 for my room actually, and its near subway station, not suburban.
That is great. I know very well of Montreal pricing for housing... its quite spectacular when my friend told me of her bachelor apartment (whcih was big enough to be a 1bedroom in Toronto). for $550/month smack dab next to a train station and downtown.... also next to this deli thats friggin amazing. S something. You know that famous one with amazing smoked meat.

But would an english speaking only person like me be able to land a job that pays at least $47k/year be able to find a job there in customer service? Probably not... I don't speak french and thats vital for customer service...
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
rjg4235 wrote: You know what all the places with high rent to income ratios have in common? They are all amazing places to live.
it's the price to pay to live in major urban centers, people need to get their priority straight and vote with their feet if they can't accept it. whining doesn't change anything.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: that is strange though, i'm sure new york is more expensive.
Of course, the article won't say where exactly in New York, and what the person actually paid. All it's saying is basically the person simply assumed rent in Toronto would be cheaper for sure, and shocked when it's not, for the location & size she wanted. Again, if New York was so great and actually cheaper for similar location/situation, why not stay in New York. And do people not even make a slight attempt of checking out what the rent will be BEFORE deciding to move from one city/country to another? People just like to whine.
Jan 21, 2017
988 posts
339 upvotes
#rant

is it me or we are getting tired of these articles?? they all have a basic premise:

- I am young
- I love living in the downtown core where everything is happening
- I don't make a lot of money (I think the article said something about avg income being $38k)
- rent is too expensive, why can't I have it all?? I deserve it, life is not fair.

it basically is a 20 sth year old first world problem complaining piece, how that is considered as journalism is beyond me.

instead of these articles. I'd love to see more content on how young professionals are 1) being creative to save money 2) finding creative side jobs to make more income. 3) cities that offer decent income and low cost of living and a vibrant youthful life style. but of course, those reality based articles won't get you the wide readerships for those clicks.......

urrrghhh...
Apr 15, 2009
318 posts
325 upvotes
toronto
Not to mention he’s a CEO who doesn’t get this??
I won’t be buying those shares.. Who are these people?
BiegeToyota wrote: I was looking at prices of some condos in bigger American cities like Boston. More expensive than Toronto.

And I wonder how do people get jobs with this interesting tidbit
So, they thought only their place went up in price but expect the rest of the world should sell at a discount

Toronto Star - worse than daily mail.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14472 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Simple idea. Stop reading the Toronto Star and hanging out with that crowd. Start hanging out with a crowd that is looking to work hard and make a better life for themselves. Hang out with people that can see the upside in stuff they don’t have yet. I’ve never met a rich pessimist.

But the first step is to shed the baggage, as in getting your info from the Star. Go out and talk to real people that are making things happen for themselves and not this guy:
Images
  • 7BBC0DDD-A758-4EE4-9798-9C7E95782881.jpeg
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
2011 posts
1030 upvotes
DPR2017 wrote: #rant

is it me or we are getting tired of these articles?? they all have a basic premise:

- I am young
- I don't make a lot of money (I think the article said something about avg income being $38k)
- rent is too expensive, why can't I have it all?? I deserve it, life is not fair.

it basically is a 20 sth year old first world problem complaining piece, how that is considered as journalism is beyond me.

instead of these articles. I'd love to see more content on how young professionals are 1) being creative to save money 2) finding creative side jobs to make more income. 3) cities that offer decent income and low cost of living and a vibrant youthful life style. but of course, those reality based articles won't get you the wide readerships for those clicks.......

urrrghhh...
It's more than first world problems. It's the entitled whining of highly privileged young professionals. Actual poor people are living in the sub-urbs and commutes for long hours to get to their low paying jobs. Unfortunately, these whiners are the most fashionable whiners now.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
BlueSolstice wrote: It's more than first world problems. It's the entitled whining of highly privileged young professionals. Actual poor people are living in the sub-urbs and commutes for long hours to get to their low paying jobs. Unfortunately, these whiners are the most fashionable whiners now.
Careful there is a few of them on the board as well.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52936 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
DPR2017 wrote: #rant

- I am young

urrrghhh...
downtown is over rated =]
I think the real Torontonian's know this. You're better off in the outskirts like greek town, leslieville, beaches, Queen west west, dundas west west, bloor west west etc...
You'll get the downtown convienence of being walking distance to 24 hour ttc and subway stations. walking distance to everything. But less traffic, noise, and rowdiness... But just enough action to keep you busy.
The rents are much cheaper then downtown around these types of parts... You don't have to be downtown to get the downtown convenience and fun.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8312 posts
1901 upvotes
Ontario
Families who have been in the GTA for any number of decades will understand that if you want to live in the heart of DT, you're going to pay more. What did many families do? They moved out the core into other parts of TO decades ago. They moved into what is now northern TO when it was bare and farm land. They moved into places like Vaughan when it was still undeveloped. Etc etc etc. They bought more with less, even if they had to commute, or they just found other jobs closer to where they live, etc

If you want to live in the heart of Toronto, you are going to pay. Simple as that.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3487 posts
3895 upvotes
Montreal
UrbanPoet wrote: But would an english speaking only person like me be able to land a job that pays at least $47k/year
Many people with high paying jobs in Montreal only know English. It's not ideal but it's possible (this only applies to Montreal, not the rest of Quebec).

But think about this: lots of politicians learn French well enough to engage in televised debates even though they have busy lives and only started at an older age. It's not that difficult.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
FrancisBacon wrote: But think about this: lots of politicians learn French well enough to engage in televised debates even though they have busy lives and only started at an older age. It's not that difficult.
But normal working people actually have a job to do though. Politicians' job is to BS all day, so learning how to BS in French would be part of the job I'd say :)