• Feb 18th, 2013 7:29 am
Tags:
None
Feb 2, 2012
223 posts
21 upvotes
BRAMPTON

just bought a car without UVIP

the seller said he will get one for me on tuesday. but i just realized i can buy it online and print it. now its asking me for a drivers lisence number. can i put mine in, or is it the sellers information that is needed.

take a look https://www.soetrans.serviceontario.ca/ ... oAction.do just click previous and it will show you

thanks
8 replies
Apr 8, 2010
684 posts
125 upvotes
London
You can just do to the MTO office and buy one there and then when you register the car. The UVIP is designed for your protection as a buyer so no big deal if you skip it on purchase.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2012
223 posts
21 upvotes
BRAMPTON
so can i order it online right now with my driver license info
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
19556 posts
1658 upvotes
what if the car has unpaid fees or something *dum dum dum dum*
[OP]
Feb 2, 2012
223 posts
21 upvotes
BRAMPTON
can i print out a uvip or do i have to pick it up or get it mailed
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
7411 posts
230 upvotes
Brampton
I recently just did this. All you need to do is go to a MTO location and give them the Vin number and $20 and they print it out for you.

Usually it's the seller that would buy and show it upon request but I don't think it's absolutely needed.

Does have some good info such as if there are any liens left on the car, what is it branded as(salvaged or not) and how many previous owners and at what km's they were registered.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
19556 posts
1658 upvotes
^
The seller and buyer both have to sign the UVP!!

and be honest with the price you paid!! :!:
Apr 8, 2010
684 posts
125 upvotes
London
george__ wrote:
Feb 16th, 2013 7:06 pm
what if the car has unpaid fees or something *dum dum dum dum*
Great point! Another reason to get it before buying.
gstar1 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2013 7:12 pm
can i print out a uvip or do i have to pick it up or get it mailed
Go to the MTO. It's printed by them on their special green-ish thick paper probably with "security" features lol.
Badman wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 12:30 pm
I recently just did this. All you need to do is go to a MTO location and give them the Vin number and $20 and they print it out for you.

Usually it's the seller that would buy and show it upon request but I don't think it's absolutely needed.

Does have some good info such as if there are any liens left on the car, what is it branded as(salvaged or not) and how many previous owners and at what km's they were registered.
More great advice
george__ wrote:
Feb 17th, 2013 12:32 pm
^
The seller and buyer both have to sign the UVP!!

and be honest with the price you paid!! :!:
The lady at the MTO didn't seem that bothered about signatures. We did make our own bill of sale though. As for price honesty, it doesn't really matter. If your suggestion is too low, then they'll use their "trade" price anyway. If the car is too old, they'll ask for an appraisal and the appraiser will usually ask what you paid and put that as the value.
× < >