Just expired i-94 before land crossing

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2018 5:03 pm
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
94 posts
3 upvotes

Just expired i-94 before land crossing

Just realized that the i-94 expired last week before I am going to do a land crossing in the next few days.

Called CBP at Peace Bridge, they said it's too late to return it at Pearson Airport.

What are the options for me to enter into US next time? I read do prepare some evidence like pay slips/credit card statement to prove not overstay before I-94 expired.

Visa is still valid.

Thanks.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4694 posts
675 upvotes
Montreal
I would just pull the I-94 out of your passport and mail it to the designated office in the US. It's been a while for me but it used to be an address in Detroit.
Phils
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
94 posts
3 upvotes
Phils wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 10:51 am
I would just pull the I-94 out of your passport and mail it to the designated office in the US. It's been a while for me but it used to be an address in Detroit.
So better take it off the passport before crossing instead of taking it to the border and give it to CBP officer when crossing right?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4694 posts
675 upvotes
Montreal
Yes. It really depends on the officer but some of them can be on a power trip and if they spot an expired doc, they can give you a hard time.
If you also are a Nexus member, Just to be safe, you probably should also call the Nexus office and tell them that the I-94 is in the mail back to them and should be removed from your file.
Phils
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
94 posts
3 upvotes
Phils wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 11:16 am
Yes. It really depends on the officer but some of them can be on a power trip and if they spot an expired doc, they can give you a hard time.
If you also are a Nexus member, Just to be safe, you probably should also call the Nexus office and tell them that the I-94 is in the mail back to them and should be removed from your file.
Thanks.

So I guess I'd better take the i-94 off the passport and when I go to the border, just tell the CBP officer I have mailed it back, if it's not in the system maybe they are still processing it.
Bring a couple of documents like payslip or statement to prove I didn't overstay may also help right?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
4694 posts
675 upvotes
Montreal
I don't think you really need to bring a payslip but that's up to you.
Phils
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3363 posts
587 upvotes
Last time you left the US, was it by land or air?
Feb 17, 2017
769 posts
467 upvotes
Calgary
If you exited by air, you don’t need to worry, it’ll have been updated electronically. If your not Canadian, the same also applies when leaving the US by land.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4279 posts
1147 upvotes
Toronto
xiaohan wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 11:02 am
So better take it off the passport before crossing instead of taking it to the border and give it to CBP officer when crossing right?
Definitely take it out of your passport. They may not even ask if it's not there - but they will almost definitely give you a hard time if you leave it in your passport and it's expired right in front of their face.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
94 posts
3 upvotes
CorSter wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 8:23 am
Last time you left the US, was it by land or air?
It's by land
[OP]
Nov 6, 2016
94 posts
3 upvotes
Manatus wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 4:42 pm
Definitely take it out of your passport. They may not even ask if it's not there - but they will almost definitely give you a hard time if you leave it in your passport and it's expired right in front of their face.
Thanks a lot. Will definitely do that.