• Jun 9th, 2005 3:53 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 23, 2003
152 posts
7 upvotes

Just got Car insurance over the phone Can I drive

Just cruious guys/gals

I just got the car insurance policy number for my ford, I went to get my plates and registration. I got everything except anything on paper about the insurance.

I do have policy number, so Can I still drive..
What if a cop pulled me over or so.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Rahulz
8 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Technically you are allowed to drive. But I would get your insurance company to FAX or email you a temporary insurance slip until the real one arrives.

You are allowed to carry photocopies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2004
1674 posts
4 upvotes
yes you are
as long as you have the policy number
cops can check based on that, and they'll see it's valid
Dec 9, 2003
674 posts
5 upvotes
You shouldn't have been able to get plates/registration without a faxed pink card (proof of insurance). As long as you have a copy of the pink card you are fine. Also, as far as I know in Alberta anyway, cops cannot check policy numbers for validity. It is hard enough as a broker to do that!
Jan 30, 2004
138 posts
21 upvotes
Yes, you can drive. Even if you gonna get pulled over and cop not gonna like your policy number written on a napkin and give you a ticket, insurance company will be glad to write a letter for you that you had insurance when you got pulled over. Take it to the Crown, and your ticket will be canceled.

(got it from my own inusrance agent, State Farm)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
SickFinga wrote:Yes, you can drive. Even if you gonna get pulled over and cop not gonna like your policy number written on a napkin and give you a ticket, insurance company will be glad to write a letter for you that you had insurance when you got pulled over. Take it to the Crown, and your ticket will be canceled.

(got it from my own inusrance agent, State Farm)
In Alberta you can get a ticket for not possessing your pink card - whether you have it or not is not the issue, it's whether it's in possession.

Just like the old "...if you don't have your driver's license you have 24 hours to show up at a police station and show it to them..." myth.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
7041 posts
652 upvotes
BC Interior
Legally they can still ticket you for not having a valid insurance slip even if the policy checks out. The slip can be a photocopy or fax. Get them to fax it to you or email it to you.
Banned
Mar 21, 2003
3085 posts
1 upvote
You are *probably* legally covered by your insurance company in the event of an accident.. whether you will get a ticket and be hassled by the police is another question.

Also you shouldn't be able to get your plates and registration completed without PROOF of insurance.

I don't know your province, so it could be different than in Ontario also.