Shopping Discussion

Just had an unpleasant situation with Logitech.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2008 8:37 am
Tags:
None
Feb 4, 2007
931 posts
7 upvotes
Been lucky with Logitech. They sent a new media mouse without me having to send the old one back. When the replacement mouse died 2 years later, they sent me a MX610.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
They sent me 2 Sets of Z5500s, they still have some of the best service in the industry. All they asked was that I send in the POD to get the second set. I said that I really shouldn't have to pay shipping I asked them to cover shipping so they did. Just ask nicely.

It seems that if the problem is known you'll have no problem getting a replacement without sending the old in. If it's new to them they want to look at it to improve their product. You can tell this is what they do because they run the usual book answers and if it's a documented problem bam new one if not they want to see why it happened.

What do you expect anyway? You pay $60 for a mouse they are covered for 3-5 years that's $20-12 a year. If it breaks BAM new one. If you buy a $20 mouse the warranty is 10-30 days if it breaks you buy a new one. The logitech ones are also higher quality and better to use.

The only competition Logitech has is MS. MS is the only other company that has a kick ass warranty for Mice and Keyboards
May 22, 2006
55 posts
Aurora
I've replaced my MX518 at least 6 times. They just send a brand new one whenever something goes wrong. Last time they sent me a keyboard mouse combo by mistake and when I called them, they just ended up sending me another MX518.

And it's not only small items I've been able to replace. I've had them send me two replacement X-230's and they didn't bother asking for the old ones to repair.

I find that the key to getting instant replacement for USB devices is to say it doesn't work anymore on linux/osx which is usually the case anyways. Mentioning any non Windows OS usually skips their scripted tech support.
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2005
2612 posts
59 upvotes
since you're smart enough to to know that logitech tech support follows a script, you should also smart enough to go along with it until they say:

"okay sir, we'll be sending you a replacement, please provide proof of purchase."

clearly, tech support is not always going to be smart about technology.
Nov 30, 2006
568 posts
91 upvotes
I also had nothing but good service from Logitech on many occasions.

One such occasion somehow static caused my subwoofer to blow in my Z560s (a great set of speakers for the price btw). I was thinking that I would have to buy a new one because I couldn't even remember when I bought them. I checked the FS website and it turns out that it was 2 years 10 months into the 3 year warranty. I called them and then faxed my receipt. I was going to call back four days later to see if they had received it but that morning the subwoofer was at my door!

No instructions to return the previous and no hassle.

It's unfortunate that customer service is not always consistent.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7613 posts
1105 upvotes
ndrew029 wrote: Then I don't expect to see your reply when I have a question. Somehow I think I'll live.

If the OP wants help, that's fine and dandy. Why he has to be so melodramatic about it, is beyond me. Just come out and ask for help. He hasn't told us anything that we don't already know. Of course tech support is bad. Of course it's a smart idea to keep a spare wired keyboard (even for reasons other than he has stated). I agree with him.

But from the tone of his post, we're all supposed to turn against logitech now. How about we turn against any company that had lousy tech support? Guess we'd all be sitting in the dark then...
He wasn't being melodramatic about it, he was being descriptive and giving a blow-by-blow. Some people just talk this way. He reiterated it in a later post, saying it was a good reason to have a wired backup. Most of the posts in this thread are supportive of logitech. You were reading too much into it, and being rude and sarcastic.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1074 posts
Yes i want to mention that this isn't sort of complain t about Logitech.

I love their products and I love their SetPoint software.
I haver Logi X-540 speakers, Logi mouse.

My future keyboard/mouse purchases will be Logitech because I love their not too expensive products and how long they last (prior to the purchase on
Boxing Day, i was using a Logitech mouse since 1999. Yes 1999 I bought it and it still worked like a charm. It wasn't for dirtyness of mouse, I would have no reason to upgrade it because it was working like I just bought it).
Just wanted to let people know to keep wired backup somewhere in the closet....and mainly to the fact that Logitech expected me to stay without comp for several weeks, but maybe I just got a bad or new rep because as it turns out, Logitech is pretty cool with sending new set first which is pretty nice of them to do.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1740 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
My diNovo Edge stopped charging (was the second one that had the same problem), so I called Logitech.

Turns out I have to ship it out to California at my own cost, and be without a keyboard for two weeks until they ship a replacement (after inspection of their own crappy QA of a flagship product).

Seems like it's only for keyboards that they don't cross ship.

It'd be fine if they covered shipping both ways, or even if the shipping address was local/closer. California? What gives?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1772 posts
484 upvotes
Montreal
that's weird, i thought everyone has a wire keyboard/mice as a backup. I always do.

When i tried to re-installing windows, i can't even go to the bios because it wouldn't detect any usb port. So i always kept my wire keyb/mice.

as for logitech, it all depend on the CSR. Me and my friend called for the same problem. My CSR told me to return the broken item. As for my friend, he did not have to return his and they sent him a replacement without asking any question.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1740 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
BobyYoo wrote: that's weird, i thought everyone has a wire keyboard/mice as a backup. I always do.

When i tried to re-installing windows, i can't even go to the bios because it wouldn't detect any usb port. So i always kept my wire keyb/mice.

as for logitech, it all depend on the CSR. Me and my friend called for the same problem. My CSR told me to return the broken item. As for my friend, he did not have to return his and they sent him a replacement without asking any question.
Well, I do have another Edge - but that's for my mobile computer. I guess if I had to, I could use that for my desktop; but it'd really be a hassle (of pairing it back to my desktop every time I come back home).

Did you pay for the shipping? I just don't understand why I have to pay for shipping (or anything) when the problem is their crappy QA process on a flagship product. It's the second replacement that I've gotten, and it's failing for the same problem.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2006
2134 posts
169 upvotes
BD006 wrote: I thought everybody kept a spare keyboard and mouse in the house?
Same here...a basic wired mouse and keyboard comes with all computers (or so i thought until i read this)? unless people throw them out right after buying wireless ones?
Daimajin wrote: I've replaced my MX518 at least 6 times. They just send a brand new one whenever something goes wrong. Last time they sent me a keyboard mouse combo by mistake and when I called them, they just ended up sending me another MX518.

And it's not only small items I've been able to replace. I've had them send me two replacement X-230's and they didn't bother asking for the old ones to repair.

I find that the key to getting instant replacement for USB devices is to say it doesn't work anymore on linux/osx which is usually the case anyways. Mentioning any non Windows OS usually skips their scripted tech support.
How do X-230's go wrong? what goes wrong with speaker systems?
Dec 13, 2007
46 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I think it really depends on the MSRP whether or not they'll send a new one without a receipt. I recently had to have a MX Revolution replaced and they told me I could either send the mouse in, or fax a copy of my receipt.

Before this, I have had an MX1000 replaced, so I asked why I needed a receipt now and not before. They told me that they decide based on the MSRP whether to send one without a receipt or sending the old item back.
Feb 9, 2006
758 posts
31 upvotes
Ontario
I had this same problem with my keyboard, i fixed it but unfortunately i cant remember how i did it. Im pretty sure it was software settings that caused it.
Dec 23, 2006
184 posts
1 upvote
Surrey
Be patient and give Logitech a chance, I've done a couple of warranty calls with them, and the service has always been EXCEPTIONAL. They've replaced things for me no questions asked in cases that have had no merit, like the Harmony remote that I bought off Craigslist that broke when I stepped on it.
40 Blu-ray / 33 HD DVD and growing!

Contest wins:
$100 HMV gift card from Scene.ca
A pair of movies passes (including soda and popcorn) from Hershey's/Giant tiger
$200 Moxie's gift card from Gallo winery
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5148 posts
1070 upvotes
ive done many replacements with logitech. If I remember correctly anything over $99 in their system is required to have something back or also depending on the situation/problem with your device cause they might want to do some research for their own quality control.

but as for the OP seriously, as others have said. You purchased electronics, it failed, you are warrantying it .. this is what MFR warranty's are like... you could have easily went to futureshop or whatever and pay for a faster replacement method. But you didnt so thats your option, suck it up.
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2893 posts
53 upvotes
Getting things fixed sucks. I had similar experiences with my wireless Logitech Keyboard and sent it back through the store I bought it at.

Was a mistake as the store took long enuff sending it into Logitech and then they had to wait on logitech to send it back.

Having to do a RMA is never painless even if they're efficient theres still the "wait period."
Mar 14, 2008
119 posts
aimfox wrote: That's the reason I don't use wireless keyboard and mouse no more. It's a hassle to change the battery and they die down so easily. Knew this all along.
Hmmm...I have a wireless key and mouse set from Microsoft and even with multiple hours of daily use, have only had to replace the batteries twice since I bought this combo over 6 months ago. (Microsoft Wireless Laser keyboard and mouse 6000 v.2). I honestly can't believe how long they have both lasted.

I do have a back up wireless mouse (and wired keyboard) but have never had to touch them.

Regarding replacing the batteries being a hassle - hmmm....it takes 2 seconds.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2006
2134 posts
169 upvotes
what can possibly go wrong with speakers like the x-230?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Just wanted to bump this because my Revolution stopped Charging and I no longer have the receipt/box.

They ask me to ship it back and today I get a response saying that my Brand New Revolution should arrive within a week/two.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Apr 10, 2008
67 posts
3 upvotes
hmm.. is the set valued at more than 100 $? if not, they usually just send a new sent without asking for the old one back.

offtopic, i bought a g7 and after 1/2 a year the mouse started to lose sync and regain sync a few seconds later, called logitech and got replacement. the new mouse is about 1 month old and exactly the same thing happens. i tried to connect to different computers (even different OS) and still the same thing happens :( really disappointed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)