Art and Photography

Just launched my photo website...

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2009 10:52 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3020 posts
331 upvotes

Just launched my photo website...

Hey Guys,

I just launched a flash website a couple days ago and want to get your opinions on how everything is laid out. I'm not pro, but am starting to get people asking me to shoot events (parties, business events, etc.), family photos, etc. so I needed a site to show people I wasn't a complete CHUD*.

Anyway, if you can take a couple minutes to give your thoughts (primarily for format vs content), it would be much appreciated. I think it will be pretty evident where my strengths and weaknesses are!

www.neilta.ca


Neil

*Bonus if you got the CHUD reference.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
61 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 29, 2003
5854 posts
691 upvotes
demi2004 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2009 11:49 pm
I'd say you should get rid of the splash page. At this point you don't need it and it suits no purpose.
I disagree. I like the site layout.

Great work!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3020 posts
331 upvotes
The splash page to me makes sense because I started with the blog and have a few followers. The splash page just makes it easier for them to remember www.neilta.ca vs imabidong.blogspot.com.

I've had some weird loading problems that I need to figure out...
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 29, 2003
5854 posts
691 upvotes
neltron3030 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2009 9:24 am
The splash page to me makes sense because I started with the blog and have a few followers. The splash page just makes it easier for them to remember www.neilta.ca vs imabidong.blogspot.com.

I've had some weird loading problems that I need to figure out...
Yes, and also looks like you've had your blog for a while, it'll be much easier to keep it as is instead of integrating a gallery within.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 14, 2007
14820 posts
1734 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
game_theory wrote:
Dec 5th, 2009 1:24 pm
great website. Music fits your website style as well. :)
+1
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3020 posts
331 upvotes
cy wrote:
Dec 5th, 2009 1:29 pm
Yes, and also looks like you've had your blog for a while, it'll be much easier to keep it as is instead of integrating a gallery within.
Thanks all.

The problem with my blog is that it doesn't show off my stuff in an organized manner. It's tough to sort a few hundred entries, let alone expect someone to go through them. Plus, some blog postings are more about the story, with not-so-good pics!
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 28, 2007
743 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Great blog... bookmarked!
Oh Hai!
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 18, 2007
962 posts
5 upvotes
Kill the music. There is nothing worse than having some music start playing when you visit a web site. It doesn't matter how good the music is, or how appropriate it is, many people are not always in the mood to enjoy music that starts autoplaying randomly when they browse to a web site. Hell, I was listening to some songs, only to have an un-mutable track come on, and there is no way I'm going to stop what I'm doing just to appreciate your web site. In fact, the lack of a pause / play / mute button is probably going to make me close the tab, rather than have to force-mute the window, and I'm not even going to spend time looking at what you have to offer before closing the tab, simply because of how off-putting random music is.

Also, ditch the splash page. It does absolutely nothing for the web site, and you already link to the blog in the flash site.
Newbie
Jan 14, 2009
62 posts
Toronto
You can control the music by mousing over the little icon of the CD in the bottom right corner and then pressing stop, pause, etc.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 18, 2007
962 posts
5 upvotes
That's not exactly what I would call "excellent UX design"

Also, the whole "Flash 8+ / 1024x768" thing is so tacky and unnecessary. This isn't 1996, and yes, my browser does support frames as well.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 5, 2004
1358 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
neltron3030 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2009 9:24 am
The splash page to me makes sense because I started with the blog and have a few followers. The splash page just makes it easier for them to remember www.neilta.ca vs imabidong.blogspot.com.

I've had some weird loading problems that I need to figure out...

I don't get it...You HAVE a link to your blog from the actual site. There's no need to have both.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
4494 posts
43 upvotes
nice music selection (though you got the artist/song title mixed up)... gonna check out Bon Iver's album now :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 28, 2003
1330 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
nice pictures but I'm surprised the blog is hosted on a third party site. You'd have much more control using wordpress.

Top