None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3020 posts
331 upvotes
demi2004 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2009 9:58 pm
I don't get it...You HAVE a link to your blog from the actual site. There's no need to have both.
I really respect your opinion demi2004. You are obviously well accomplished and I can only dream to capture some of the moments you have. My argument for this point is - after someone has entered the site there won't be a link to my blog unless they go back to the splash page. That's why it's on both.

Paranoidandroid wrote:
Dec 6th, 2009 1:08 am
nice music selection (though you got the artist/song title mixed up)... gonna check out Bon Iver's album now :)
Go to Youtube and search "Bon Iver Acapella". There's a really cool clip.

thezone wrote:
Dec 6th, 2009 1:20 am
nice pictures but I'm surprised the blog is hosted on a third party site. You'd have much more control using wordpress.
I agree. I should have done more research into this beforehand. There isn't as much flexibility, but the ease of set-up was key for me. There's also some very large blogs out there that use the Blogger platform (i.e. Strobist).
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1358 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
neltron3030 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2009 12:17 pm
My argument for this point is - after someone has entered the site there won't be a link to my blog unless they go back to the splash page. That's why it's on both.
Why wouldn't there be a link to your blog. It's already there! You don't need to remove it.

PS.Thanks for the nice words :)
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2003
2153 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
demi2004 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2009 4:43 pm
Why wouldn't there be a link to your blog. It's already there! You don't need to remove it.

PS.Thanks for the nice words :)
Neil, I have to agree with demi2004. You have a "blog" link in your main page already. There is no need to separate both in your front page.

By the way, great page. I would love to talk to you about it later on.

There is one thing about the gallery. When it click on a picture, sometimes it auto scrolls to the next one because of the time-out period on the auto scroll. I am sure you can improve it.
Banned
Jul 1, 2009
128 posts
cambridge
what are you using as a backend to the site ? whats the CMS system or static pages?
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3772 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
is this a joke? commenting on format?

you clearly just used a pre-downloaded flash theme for your website.

http://www.b2weddings.com/

both pages also have the same dumb "use this resolution! you must have flash!" blah blah crap on the front page index as well. exact same music player popout. everything the same minus your logo/name.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3020 posts
331 upvotes
Yes, I used a templated website. I didn't say I didn't, and don't see how it is relevant. There's controls to get rid of pages, add items, and change color/position of menus...so there's flexibility in terms of format.

I generate very little from photography and just needed a professional looking site to send potential clients. The template allows me to do this cost effectively for less than the price of getting someone to generate a logo for me. And the main advantage is I have all the controls and don't need to learn flash. That is absolutely key for me. This was a perfect solution for my needs.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
5855 posts
691 upvotes
stevelam wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 2:40 pm

you clearly just used a pre-downloaded flash theme for your website.

http://www.b2weddings.com/

both pages also have the same dumb "use this resolution! you must have flash!" blah blah crap on the front page index as well. exact same music player popout. everything the same minus your logo/name.
What's the problem with that? In fact, there are way too many people using it due to the ease and the time that they save. I assume you knew already (since you are "acting" like an expert), but templatemonster.com is one of the largest template site, and even professionals uses it to enhance their workflow and using it as a time saving mechanism. Are they a joke too?

You talk like an expert, but I can't see how expert you are from your site that's only powered by a CMS + Javascript: http://iblastoff.ca/

You are a joke.

Come back again with some constructive comments.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3772 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
cy wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 2:54 pm
What's the problem with that? In fact, there are way too many people using it due to the ease and the time that they save. I assume you knew already (since you are "acting" like an expert), but templatemonster.com is one of the largest template site, and even professionals uses it to enhance their workflow and using it as a time saving mechanism. Are they a joke too?

You talk like an expert, but I can't see how expert you are from your site that's only powered by a CMS + Javascript: http://iblastoff.ca/

You are a joke.

Come back again with some constructive comments.
actually yes. anyone who downloads a template and uses it for their business site is clearly not professional. anyone with half a brain and even a semblance of business sense can tell you this.

'only' powered by a cms and javascript? what site ISN'T powered by a cms? your clueless taunt doesn't even make any sense whatsoever.
i actually designed my own page. huge difference between that and downloading a template.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3020 posts
331 upvotes
stevelam wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 3:03 pm
actually yes. anyone who downloads a template and uses it for their business site is clearly not professional. anyone with half a brain and even a semblance of business sense can tell you this.

'only' powered by a cms and javascript? what site ISN'T powered by a cms? i actually designed my own page. huge difference between that and downloading a template.
Don't feed this troll, he has a history of negative posts and ****-disturbing in general.

I don't see the logic in your first paragraph. I'm assuming you don't come from a business background because there's nothing in your comments that equate to good business sense. It's about pleasing the consumer, not about making some troll on a message board happy. If any of my clients come to me and complain about the templated site, then I will consider a change.

A friend of mine (who is a flash developer) told me about the templates because it better suited my needs. If you have the time and capability to create your own site, by all means go ahead.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3772 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
a history of negative posts??? what the hell are you even talking about.

first of all, my initial post here was hardly 'negative' at all. it just didn't make sense to me for someone to post a link to their website asking for layout/format feedback when they had absolutely nothing to do with its inception, minus downloading and installing a theme.

even more funny that any feedback you get no matter how good it may be, you're likely incapable of even making those changes anyway since you don't know flash. so whats the point?

splash pages and automatically playing music = always terrible. two things you probably dont know how to get rid of on your page anyway.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3020 posts
331 upvotes
stevelam wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 3:17 pm
All anyone needs to do is look at your post history. You constantly say negative things, it's undeniable.
stevelam wrote:
even more funny that any feedback you get no matter how good it may be, you're likely incapable of even making those changes anyway since you don't know flash. so whats the point?
Seeing as how you don't know how the backend works on the service I am using, it's a bit premature for you to make a comment like this.

Lastly, you never addressed how your comments don't make any business sense or how this is detrimental in terms of a client point of view. Better yet, offer a similar alternative or anything constructive for that matter.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
5855 posts
691 upvotes
stevelam wrote:
stevelam wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 2:40 pm

Please tell me, the usage of words are not rude?
stevelam wrote:

splash pages and automatically playing music = always terrible. two things you probably dont know how to get rid of on your page anyway.
stevelam wrote:
I guess too many people on this earth has less than half a brain because quite a few business websites out there DID NOT get designed by themselves in house. They are either templates, or variation of templates.
stevelam wrote:
'only' powered by a cms and javascript? what site ISN'T powered by a cms? your clueless taunt doesn't even make any sense whatsoever.
i actually designed my own page. huge difference between that and downloading a template.
Yes, ONLY cms and javascript. I can put up a site like yours within 1 hour time (2 - 3 hours at max with liferay), download a template that looks like yours (I've seen a variation of it somewhere before), and done. The rest is just adding the content. How hard is that?

You have "designed" your own page, that doesn't give you the privilege of calling others crap. Go and take a picture, post it up here, and i'll call yours crap just because I know I'll be taking better ones than you? That's insane.

Little kid, please grow up.

I am reporting your trolling. I'll get you banned in no time if you don't stop your personal attacking. Don't challenge the mods, because you are clearing in the disadvantage with your personal attacking and trolling. Just pack whatever you've learned in this thread and go watch your afternoon cartoon.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1949 posts
5 upvotes
Back to the original post:
The site looks great. I'm not personally a fan of flash sites, but that's your call, for your abilities as a web designer/programmer and budget. Nothing wrong with that.

The one thing I would change is on the front page (if you decide to keep it), and that is to remove all the :this site requires flash, popup blocker, screen resolution stuff. Every browser runs flash (well, maybe not my grandmother's) and everyone runs at more then (ar at least at) 1024x786 these days.

It would just clean up that page, to match the flash gallery.

I would also change the background on the splash page to the same as the flash gallery... again, consistency in design, look and feel of the site. As for the blog, I'd recommend a similar look/colors to the flash gallery...
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3772 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
neltron3030 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 3:24 pm
All anyone needs to do is look at your post history. You constantly say negative things, it's undeniable.

Seeing as how you don't know how the backend works on the service I am using, it's a bit premature for you to make a comment like this.

Lastly, you never addressed how your comments don't make any business sense or how this is detrimental in terms of a client point of view. Better yet, offer a similar alternative or anything constructive for that matter.
you're kidding me right. i know exactly how the backend works. a $100 template from bludomain.com doesn't exactly scream a tailored backend experience.

client point of view = business is too cheap to make a real website, resorting to a template that is an exact duplicate of other websites/competitors.