None
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3810 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
cy wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 3:36 pm
Please tell me, the usage of words are not rude?

I guess too many people on this earth has less than half a brain because quite a few business websites out there DID NOT get designed by themselves in house. They are either templates, or variation of templates.

Yes, ONLY cms and javascript. I can put up a site like yours within 1 hour time (2 - 3 hours at max with liferay), download a template that looks like yours (I've seen a variation of it somewhere before), and done. The rest is just adding the content. How hard is that?

You have "designed" your own page, that doesn't give you the privilege of calling others crap. Go and take a picture, post it up here, and i'll call yours crap just because I know I'll be taking better ones than you? That's insane.

Little kid, please grow up.

I am reporting your trolling. I'll get you banned in no time if you don't stop your personal attacking. Don't challenge the mods, because you are clearing in the disadvantage with your personal attacking and trolling. Just pack whatever you've learned in this thread and go watch your afternoon cartoon.
please show me a reputable business using a cheap, website template.

if thats your 'attack' on my site that you can put it up in an hour, then you're alluding that getting a template already designed for you is much worse. learn to argue without making yourself look clueless next time.

still loling at your "ONLY CMS AND JAVASCRIPT!" response. you clearly know nothing about web design. so why bother continuing your blabbering?

i guess you could say the same thing about photography in general then. why hire a professional photographer when you can just go out and buy a cheap, digital point and shoot camera and ask your drunk uncle to take wedding pics for you?? much cheaper and many people do it!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3040 posts
365 upvotes
stevelam wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 4:42 pm
you're kidding me right. i know exactly how the backend works. a $100 template from bludomain.com doesn't exactly scream a tailored backend experience.

client point of view = business is too cheap to make a real website, resorting to a template that is an exact duplicate of other websites/competitors.
You're not getting the point at all. I don't think this is the best experience ever, but for about $200/year, it will pay off quicker than you can say 'one hour session'. Customizing a site doesn't make sense for me or other small time businesses because I can focus my time on more important things. If I lose money or have a complaint from a paying client about my website, I will be the first to admit that I was wrong -- but this isn't going to be the case.

Since the launch less than a week ago, I've signed on a wedding, a business conference, and maternity session. And I've heard from another interested party for a wedding as well. Not to mention getting a number of referrals from people.

Some well known business don't even have websites (i.e. The Black Hoof, one of Canada's best new restaurants, yet there's a line-up to get in every single day they're open).
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Only on RFD can you post about your website, then have it end up being a shouting match.

OK not JUST RFD but any given message board forum out there.

Neil, thanks for the heads up about the templates though - it's certainly something for myself and others to consider given the number of choices we all have to design our sites by.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2003
2155 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
Steve,

From your website, it looks like your a professional designer. It would be awesome if you can provide some constructive criticism here for Neil.

Instead, you decided to bash Neil's newly launched website.

Perhaps it's time to stfu?

[QUOTE]i guess you could say the same thing about photography in general then. why hire a professional photographer when you can just go out and buy a cheap, digital point and shoot camera and ask your drunk uncle to take wedding pics for you?? much cheaper and many people do it![/QUOTE]

By the way, this metaphor is so irrelevant, it makes you look silly.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3040 posts
365 upvotes
CSAgent wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 5:23 pm
Neil, thanks for the heads up about the templates though - it's certainly something for myself and others to consider given the number of choices we all have to design our sites by.
How dare an actual photographer with paying clients actually consider a templated website! You are hardly reputable! :D
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
4503 posts
44 upvotes
stevelam wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 4:45 pm
i guess you could say the same thing about photography in general then. why hire a professional photographer when you can just go out and buy a cheap, digital point and shoot camera and ask your drunk uncle to take wedding pics for you?? much cheaper and many people do it!
You are selling the photography service, not web design. As long as the site is presentable it'll suffice. I doubt the potential client would know (or even care) if a template has been used, as most flash sites are more or less the same format these days...
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
neltron3030 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 5:27 pm
How dare an actual photographer with paying clients actually consider a templated website! You are hardly reputable! :D
Whatever keep the costs down. ;)

As a photographer, we take pictures - not worry about our websites. Let our photos speak for what we do.

You could drop $10k into a site, but have bad photos - no one will hire you.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
6184 posts
1178 upvotes
zero_2003 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 5:27 pm

By the way, this metaphor is so irrelevant, it makes you look silly.
Poor Steve Lam just owned himself. :(

Neil, ignore them, keep it up! In fact, you've brought up a very good point/resource - you can have a professional website without spending thousands of dollars. It's your work that counts.

With that said, Steve Lam is probably offended because he's a designer himself and not getting much business lately due to these templates. :D

Steve, I'll say it again - Your site is nothing more than CMS and Javascript. Quote me as many time as you wish, and I'll say the same thing. I can reproduce what you have within an hour.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1395 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
I am using a template site...I don't care. I wanted a very simple layout that would draw your attention to the images and not the site design. I used music to scare away all the photographers(they hate music) and to draw in clients(they LOVE music).
I know a dozen of photographers who spent 10K+ on a custom site just to find out a year later one of bludomain type web sites has a somewhat similar design, with a MUCH better back end for around $300.
There are a few photographers who are still using very unique websites,but they are a pain to navigate and take too much attention from the images.

:)
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
1639 posts
203 upvotes
Mississauga
stevelam wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 4:45 pm
<snip>
That's an irrelevant argument. Are you saying that the next time I want to pee, I should hire a professional p+++s holder? :D

Look, I'm aware of acute specializations. However, if one can do something competently, there really is no need to hire a "professional" to do it. It's the end result that matters. Case in point: My brother in law is an Engineer. However, he's competent enough to gut out his entire kitchen and re-build it as per his specs. He had no need to hire a handyman. Regards.

Neil: Excellent site. Your pics are awesome, BTW. The only thing I don't like is the music player: the control icon isn't obvious and some people may search around for it in order to mute/stop the music.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3040 posts
365 upvotes
cy wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 5:52 pm
Poor Steve Lam just owned himself. :(

Neil, ignore them, keep it up! In fact, you've brought up a very good point/resource - you can have a professional website without spending thousands of dollars. It's your work that counts.

With that said, Steve Lam is probably offended because he's a designer himself and not getting much business lately due to these templates. :D
Thanks cy. I couldn't believe how user friendly the BluDomain interface was, in addition to it being so cheap. The only thing I compromise on is the flexibility. But at $100 a template, I could get 10-20 different ones at the same price as getting a developer to do a few hours work. I'd like to ask how much I could get from Steve for $200.
demi2004 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 6:26 pm
I am using a template site...I don't care. I wanted a very simple layout that would draw your attention to the images and not the site design. I used music to scare away all the photographers(they hate music) and to draw in clients(they LOVE music).
Your site looks amazing. Much respect to your work! So true about the music bit as well!
sabesh wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 6:47 pm
Look, I'm aware of acute specializations. However, if one can do something competently, there really is no need to hire a "professional" to do it. It's the end result that matters. Case in point: My brother in law is an Engineer. However, he's competent enough to gut out his entire kitchen and re-build it as per his specs. He had no need to hire a handyman. Regards.
Good comparison re: end result. Truth is, I'd be shocked if any of my clients go to my site and 'call me out' on it being templated -- or complained about the experience.
sabesh wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 6:47 pm
Neil: Excellent site. Your pics are awesome, BTW. The only thing I don't like is the music player: the control icon isn't obvious and some people may search around for it in order to mute/stop the music.
Thank you Sabesh. I also enjoy your Flickr stream! Unfortunately, there aren't too many options when it comes to the look of the music player.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
6184 posts
1178 upvotes
neltron3030 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 7:16 pm
Unfortunately, there aren't too many options when it comes to the look of the music player.
I bet Steve Lam has a solution for you. :idea:
Oct 29, 2005
969 posts
46 upvotes
Let me get this straight... are you saying that you're not a 'professional' if you're using website TEMPLATES?!

fyi, a lot of PROFESSIONAL photographers/studios are using 'templates' from bludomain, livebooks, etc. Heck, what about those wordpress web-blogs... I see tons of people/photographers using those same layouts as well.

www.aperturaphoto.com
www.jeffascough.com
www.jessicaclaire.net
Just some quick examples.

Cool site Neltron... the only thing I would add is a logo! :cheesygri
Oct 12, 2004
233 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Duhhh guys, obviously his strategy is to bash your website so bad that it convinces you to commission him to design you a fancy custom designed website.

Oh wait, nevermind, just another know it all snob sh#ting in the thread.

Constructive criticism is one thing, coming in here and speaking like the Hitler of web design/development doesn't do much for your business (since you like to talk about "smart business decisions" so much)