None
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3772 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
neltron3030 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 5:11 pm
You're not getting the point at all. I don't think this is the best experience ever, but for about $200/year, it will pay off quicker than you can say 'one hour session'. Customizing a site doesn't make sense for me or other small time businesses because I can focus my time on more important things. If I lose money or have a complaint from a paying client about my website, I will be the first to admit that I was wrong -- but this isn't going to be the case.

Since the launch less than a week ago, I've signed on a wedding, a business conference, and maternity session. And I've heard from another interested party for a wedding as well. Not to mention getting a number of referrals from people.

Some well known business don't even have websites (i.e. The Black Hoof, one of Canada's best new restaurants, yet there's a line-up to get in every single day they're open).
you are leaving the scope of the argument to try and cover up random holes in your statement. now you are saying having a website is altogether irrelevant to a business's success?

can a business survive/thrive without a good website? of course. but people can find success without going to university/college either. doesn't mean its a good idea.

and you already have a complaint about your website. mine. if i were to hire a photographer, i'd clearly look at their online portfolio. if i quickly noticed that your portfolio site looks exactly the same as another persons (minus your actual content obviously), and all you did to present yourself was to copy some cheap template off of the internet, i would think that you're not taking your business seriously at all and have not thoroughly researched what you should be doing.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3772 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
zero_2003 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 5:27 pm
Steve,

From your website, it looks like your a professional designer. It would be awesome if you can provide some constructive criticism here for Neil.

Instead, you decided to bash Neil's newly launched website.

Perhaps it's time to stfu?

By the way, this metaphor is so irrelevant, it makes you look silly.
i already mentioned a few points, along with some other people. clearly these suggestions are not going to happen seeing as the OP has no idea how to actually change anything on the template he bought.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3772 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
Paranoidandroid wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 5:32 pm
You are selling the photography service, not web design. As long as the site is presentable it'll suffice. I doubt the potential client would know (or even care) if a template has been used, as most flash sites are more or less the same format these days...
having a website tailored to your style/content/audience will ALWAYS be better than just using some pre-made template that god knows how many other people are using.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3772 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
cy wrote:
Dec 7th, 2009 5:52 pm
Poor Steve Lam just owned himself. :(

Neil, ignore them, keep it up! In fact, you've brought up a very good point/resource - you can have a professional website without spending thousands of dollars. It's your work that counts.

With that said, Steve Lam is probably offended because he's a designer himself and not getting much business lately due to these templates. :D

Steve, I'll say it again - Your site is nothing more than CMS and Javascript. Quote me as many time as you wish, and I'll say the same thing. I can reproduce what you have within an hour.
lol. have fun trying to reproduce it in an hour. obviously you know absolutely nothing about what goes into full development of a website. thats like someone saying "oh hey i can take pictures just like the OP, i have a canon rebel xsi!!!!"

either way obviously this has just basically become a photographers circle jerk session. talk to other web designers/developers who know more than you about how the web works and get back to this thread when you're actually informed.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2007
1759 posts
58 upvotes
GTA
Stevelam, did you have to post five times in a row? There's a multi-quote button for that.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3772 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
rayt- wrote:
Dec 8th, 2009 1:16 am
Stevelam, did you have to post five times in a row? There's a multi-quote button for that.
meh i highly doubt anyone would have taken the time to read one giant quoted post anyway. and just to reiterate on why i even posted in the first place:

1) the OP posted a link to his site, asking for feedback on the layout/format vs content
2) i easily recognized it as a downloadable, cheap flash theme used by tons of other photographers and pointed it out in the thread
3) wrongly assumed that other ppl would realize that asking for layout/format feedback on a downloadable template is kind of silly and makes no sense at all. kinda like going to an ikea showroom, buying every single item in it and reproducing the exact same layout in your home, then asking people to come over to get their feedback on said layout/format of 'your' room.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
5854 posts
691 upvotes
stevelam wrote:
Dec 8th, 2009 1:10 am
lol. have fun trying to reproduce it in an hour. obviously you know absolutely nothing about what goes into full development of a website. thats like someone saying "oh hey i can take pictures just like the OP, i have a canon rebel xsi!!!!"

either way obviously this has just basically become a photographers circle jerk session. talk to other web designers/developers who know more than you about how the web works and get back to this thread when you're actually informed.
I can actually take the same pictures with a Rebel XS, and this is the point you are not getting. Whether Neil can get businesses, is not really based on the website entirely (Rebel XS) - He's selling his skills. Not that many clients will go nuts and flip through the whole world-wide-web to make sure he's not using a same template as others.

The website is a tool to showcase his work, so that the clients can decide based on that - simple?

My comment is still the same - Your website doesn't take more than an hour or two to reproduce, and that's what the reality is. If you've spent more than that, you really got some learning to do! Stop making a fool out of yourself.

Hey professor, some question for you:
- OP used a template, he admitted it, what more do you want?
- Do you want him to post a disclaimer on his site saying he used a template?
- Do you want him to pay you to redesign an identical site that you are probably going to create based on another template?
- Are you just trying to gather businesses here?
- Are you pissed off because template sites actually look nicer than yours?
- Are you NOT getting the point that OP does not have thousands of dollar to spend on customizing his own site so that it can be "unique" to other photographers?
- Are you not understanding the point that this website is:
stevelam wrote:
Dec 8th, 2009 1:10 am
tailored to his style/content/audience
even though it's from a template? (Isn't that what template is for?)
- Do you not know what is stfu?
- Are you saying that he's not a professional photographer because he uses a template?

Steve, don't get pissed off because your business is not performing due to the addition resource businesses got beside spending thousands of dollars on a web developer. Before you continue to criticize the OP on using template, you should drop your site first. You are using a template yourself.

We can go on and on, but at the end of the day, Neil did nothing wrong but an exceptional job on showcasing his work, and it works.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3020 posts
331 upvotes
stevelam wrote:
Dec 8th, 2009 1:00 am
and you already have a complaint about your website. mine. if i were to hire a photographer, i'd clearly look at their online portfolio. if i quickly noticed that your portfolio site looks exactly the same as another persons (minus your actual content obviously), and all you did to present yourself was to copy some cheap template off of the internet, i would think that you're not taking your business seriously at all and have not thoroughly researched what you should be doing.
I have made a couple of complaints about my site, but at the end of the day, I can live with the problems for the value it provides. People make decisions every single day based on a value proposition. You've made no concrete suggestions on what better alternatives I have that provides me with the same value other than a templated site.

Also, your logic here doesn't make sense -- why on earth would you base your hiring of a photographer on their website design? That makes completely no sense. I wouldn't get Steve Nash to run the point for my basketball team based on how well he can kick a soccer ball.

Demi2004 trumps all arguments here because he uses a templated site and is an award winning photographer! Your arguments are ridiculous and not based on any sort of logic. Just let this thread die, we're all feeding this nonsensicle troll.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2003
2153 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
stevelam wrote:
Dec 8th, 2009 1:22 am
kinda like going to an ikea showroom, buying every single item in it and reproducing the exact same layout in your home, then asking people to come over to get their feedback on said layout/format of 'your' room.
Your metaphor is getting worse and worse.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4938 posts
64 upvotes
York Region
Ayee... this thread turned from someone looking for constructive opinions to a flame fest/back-and-forth bickering.

*...slowly backs away*

ps: I like it, nice photos! What camera/lens do you use?
York Region is best region!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3020 posts
331 upvotes
Akraz wrote:
Dec 8th, 2009 11:38 am
Ayee... this thread turned from someone looking for constructive opinions to a flame fest/back-and-forth bickering.

*...slowly backs away*

ps: I like it, nice photos! What camera/lens do you use?
Thanks, just a Canon 40D, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22mm, 70-200 f/4, 50mm f/1.8...have had lots in the past but reduced to make my lenses more manageable...bye bye to 17-40mm L, 24-105mm L (loved that lens), 17-85mm, etc.

Next up? 70-200mm f. 2.8 IS and maybe 50mm f1.4. Possibly going FF too, which means a firesale on my EFS lenses!
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Oct 23, 2004
781 posts
@stevelam

Cut your loses and just relax already. There's nothing worse you can do then continue bickering ... on the internet.

Let me guess though. At some point in your life you made a website/graphic/art and nobody had any nice comments about it? You worked really hard on it and felt disappointed so now you're on a mission to make sure that nobody ever get good feedback about something they didn't make themselves?

Nice site OP.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3681 posts
197 upvotes
Mississauga
Nothing wrong with using templates. A photog's clients are not web designers. The website is not the product itself; it is merely a platform on which to advertise other services.

Anyway here are my points (some may be a repeat of others):

- Lose the music. Or if you really want to keep the music, make the pause/play option more obvious (eg: show the pause/play button right on the main page intead of making people figure out they have to hover over the disc)

- Don't make site visitors click more than necessary to reach your homepage. Understand that web users have notoriously short patience and attention span. Potential clients may be discouraged/confused when they see your flash page, rather than clicking through.

- Check your picture gallery navigation. When I click on the "pause" button to stop the slideshow scrolling, I cannot restart it. Same thing happens when you click on any picture: clcking on a picture stops the slideshow, but there is no way to restart it again.
FYI: I'm using Firefox 3.5.5 on WinXP SP3

That's all for now...