Computers & Electronics

Is it just me or does Witopia VPN suck now?

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2011 7:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2003
2438 posts
56 upvotes
scouzer wrote:
Oct 7th, 2009 2:46 am
That's on the order of many magnitudes more expensive than a VPN service. Plus would all hosts even allow that kind of usage?
Depending on the provider they're only about $10-30 and yes, I've seen some packages with 200 GB traffic or more.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2622 posts
242 upvotes
mlerner wrote:
Oct 7th, 2009 8:40 am
Depending on the provider they're only about $10-30 and yes, I've seen some packages with 200 GB traffic or more.
$10/mo is double or triple the lower cost VPN plans. You will be hard pressed to get a VPS from a respectable company for $10.. so let's say $20. That's $240/yr vs $40 for Witopia or $55 for StrongVPN... a little bit poor choice financially just for a VPN!
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
3765 posts
45 upvotes
This is total bs!!! I just started with Witopia too. Is that service a waste now?
Ephemera

Proud member since 2005!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
97 upvotes
mlerner wrote:
Oct 7th, 2009 8:39 am
StrongVPN has a vast amount of IP addresses (they are also a hosting company). If one does get blocked you just have to reconnect or switch servers.
StrongVPN has 6 U.S. gateways, Witopia has 4. I'm not sure StrongVPN has many more IP ranges than Witopia - and we are talking about IP ranges being blocked here, not individual IP addresses. It's easy to discover who owns an IP range.

infamouskid, your response was directed to me, but you seem to be responding to someone else. I haven't suggest that anyone here complain to Witopia that they are being blocked by H**u. They can't respond to that, and I'm sure they already know since it likely constitutes a lot of their traffic. There are other sites also blocking Witopia (e.g., thewb.com). If you must complain, make it a legitimate complaint they can respond to, such as you weren't able to watch TV programs from your U.S. hotel room while using Witopia VPN to get around the hotel's blocking of media streaming.

I have heard that Witopia blocks some types of p2p traffic (probably because it hogs too much bandwidth), but I wouldn't know for sure because I've never used it for that.
Sep 6, 2006
568 posts
72 upvotes
Mississauga
i emailed witopia about this issue, they are offering me $20 off on their openvpn service which is not blocked (not yet). I'm already with them for 6 months, so thats about right. I dont know if i should take this deal or move on to another company.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2003
2438 posts
56 upvotes
Aske001 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2009 10:08 am
StrongVPN has 6 U.S. gateways, Witopia has 4. I'm not sure StrongVPN has many more IP ranges than Witopia - and we are talking about IP ranges being blocked here, not individual IP addresses. It's easy to discover who owns an IP range.
StrongVPN has 1133 IP's on 22 servers. Neither use their own IP blocks so you can't determine the IP ranges. I only know for a fact StrongVPN uses a variety of providers and blocks in different regions. Witopia does not have nearly that many.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
5148 posts
97 upvotes
yesman wrote:
Oct 7th, 2009 10:58 am
i emailed witopia about this issue, they are offering me $20 off on their openvpn service which is not blocked (not yet). I'm already with them for 6 months, so thats about right. I dont know if i should take this deal or move on to another company.
Wrong. Their OpenVPN service is also blocked, all U.S. gateways, same as their basic VPN.

Bad Witopia! Are you lying to customers now? :confused:
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
3765 posts
45 upvotes
yesman wrote:
Oct 7th, 2009 10:58 am
Me too. I bet their openvpn will be blocked very soon. I don't want to spend more money on something I am not sure of.

Luckily I still have OTA.
Ephemera

Proud member since 2005!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
2622 posts
242 upvotes
mcplar wrote:
Oct 7th, 2009 11:35 am
has anyone tried www.watchxonline.com ???? last time I checked we can get it Canada & was free.
Those sites are illegal. Connecting to Hulu via Canada is just gray-market.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
2241 posts
135 upvotes
scouzer wrote:
Oct 7th, 2009 11:44 am
Those sites are illegal. Connecting to Hulu via Canada is just gray-market.
oh well. Guess you don't have any pirated software, music, movies, ANYTHING on your PC or ever have.... :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2006
1333 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
sexyj wrote:
Oct 7th, 2009 2:41 am
Just buy a cheap VPS and then just configure your own VPN on there
This is your best chance of not getting blocked in the future.
scouzer wrote:
Oct 7th, 2009 2:46 am
That's on the order of many magnitudes more expensive than a VPN service. Plus would all hosts even allow that kind of usage?
Well whose VPN service are you comparing it to? Sure your average VPN can range from $1-10/month but I've had VPN service that's costs $30/month. But I'm paying for the security of the VPN and not their gateway location.

Depending on the host, you might even be able to setup a VPN-style connection using a shared hosting provider (tunnel through using a SSH connection). VPS will allow it generally. VPS is all about sharing computing power, and just sucking down bandwidth doesn't require much CPU or RAM which is the main concern with a VPS.
scouzer wrote:
Oct 7th, 2009 9:05 am
$10/mo is double or triple the lower cost VPN plans. You will be hard pressed to get a VPS from a respectable company for $10.. so let's say $20. That's $240/yr vs $40 for Witopia or $55 for StrongVPN... a little bit poor choice financially just for a VPN!
You can get VPS's for $10 if you really look around. And to some people, the VPS can be more useful as they can torrent on the VPS while using the VPS connect to VPN through to the states for hulu and the like. For me, I see a VPS as far more useful than just a VPN.

In the end, it is a cat and mouse game with VPN and Hulu type sites. It's easy for Hulu to see a few select ranges of IP's sucking down terabytes of bandwidth even if the VPN tries to cache content. A lonely VPS server just watching the odd show or so hardly sticks out when analyzing log files and I think a VPS can be a more useful to some people.
Jun 8, 2006
337 posts
18 upvotes
Damn, just got the anonymous proxy message.. was just getting the wife accustomed to Hulu desktop, I was close to ditching the cable.
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
i share my vpn with 2 other users. we pay about 3.50 each. we not only get full speed. but we also dont have to worry about to throttling when downloading or streaming anything. i just load up what i want before i go to sleep and shutdown my home comp then push everything to my pc in the morning before i go to class or work. i can download divx's to my vps and stream the file to my pc and watch while the vps downloads and streams it.

try doing all of that on vpn. it just wont work. but if your the guy who just wants to watch the random show here and there. wiptopia is a no go bargain. strongvpn and other alternatives are better and cheaper.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5223 posts
185 upvotes
Calgary
after reading this im glad i never signed up for witopia...
× < >