Food & Drink

is it just me or is olive oil getting to be too cheap?

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2015 3:17 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A

is it just me or is olive oil getting to be too cheap?

no frills has a liter of Gallo extra virgin olive oil for $2.77, and i remember if a liter was around 5 bucks, stocking up on a couple of bottles, thinking that was a great price.
lately, i'm seeing some crazy prices on italian olive oils and i can't help to think that it might be related to the fake olive oil problem in europe.

i've been using california olive oil and going to try some south american stuff when i run out of the cali bottle.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
22 replies
Dec 20, 2010
194 posts
8 upvotes
I've wondered about this as well. The label on these deals does say cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and you're scratching your head at $ 2.77 bottle .

I wouldn't be surprised if it was mislabeled. You can't buy most canola oil a that price.
Dec 9, 2008
905 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
i never knew about this. all i see is like $10 for a big bottle.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
1661 posts
372 upvotes
Oakville
Depends on what press # you get, ideally you want first press.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2016 posts
65 upvotes
Niagara area
Read the label very carefully and you will see most say packed, bottled or such in Italy. That means they got big vats from somewhere else and bottled it. China actually exports olive oil but I think the bulk being repacked is from Turkey, Greece and other Mediterranean countries but not with the ideal growing conditions of Southern France and Italy

Only buy olive labeled "product of Italy"
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12877 posts
574 upvotes
Yes and No...

Maybe not as you have suggested, but I see Bertolli and others on sale far more often than before. 50% off is not uncommon today....
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2006
2939 posts
46 upvotes
What OO do you use out of California?

I'm a big fan of Frog Hollow Farms and I wish I stocked up when I was in SF. I even found out David Hume of Eleven Madison Park uses it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6030 posts
466 upvotes
I need some Olive Oil but want to buy some reasonably good stuff.

I was at No Frills today and saw the Gallo 1litre for $2.77. Some folks were picking up a few bottles.

So the 1 litre Extra Virgin is $2.77.

Right next to it however is the 750ml bottle of Gallo Extra Virgin also.

The bottle is narrower and it costs $4.99.

I notice on both, they just put imported by Unico.

So is the $2.77 Extra Virgin one just bulk oil imported and possibly blended and packaged in Canada?

While the 750ml $4.99 Extra Virgin one was bottled in Italy before entering Canada hence the heftier price tag?
May 18, 2012
35 posts
TORONTO
if you want the good stuff you can go to McEwans, but even Loblaws has some decent brands going for $25 for 500ml.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
8013 posts
648 upvotes
Toronto
Def low quality or 'fake'. If you taste it, you can definitely tell its not up to par. One I got from Metro, it had some weird plasticky type taste.

I got the higher quality one and much much better.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2012
1049 posts
483 upvotes
TORONTO
There's lots of great olive oil products in expensive grocery stores. Oils from Greece/Italy/France and even the states. It really all depends on the pressing and where it was finished. Gallo oil has been losing quality for years now. Mass production and cheaper olives end up producing a less tasty olive oil.
You also have to know how to use olive oil properly. I've seen some people use extra virgin olive oil for frying at high temps like onion rings. I've seen people use refined olive oils for salads and then complain about the taste :(

Knowing how to use olive oil properly and to it's fullest potential will enhance your love affair with the oil. It also have many alternative uses as well from skin care to medicine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_oil
Deal Hunter :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
dasaylay wrote:
May 19th, 2012 1:30 pm
What OO do you use out of California?

I'm a big fan of Frog Hollow Farms and I wish I stocked up when I was in SF. I even found out David Hume of Eleven Madison Park uses it.

bought a bottle of California Olive Ranch for i think 8 bucks from No Frills. i quite like it. it's reasonably priced and very tasty.

http://www.californiaoliveranch.com/

they have a coupon on the site, but it's US only.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3015 posts
966 upvotes
Personally I think the scam must be still going on. Mixing olive oil with other cheaper oils. I just don't see how one label can be selling a bottle of their cold pressed extra virgin oil for only three or four dollars, where others have a selling price near $20 or more. Just doesn't make any sense to me.
May 12, 2008
425 posts
13 upvotes
Relevant article here.
The price of olive oil is crashing:

The price of premium-quality extra virgin olive oil in the wholesale market fell this month to $2,900 a tonne, the lowest since 2002 and down more than half from nearly $6,000 a tonne in 2005, according to the International Monetary Fund.

This is in part a supply-side phenomenon as Spain seems to have had a bumper crop of olives. But what you're largely seeing is depressed domestic demand in Mediterannean countries as households downshift to cheaper vegetable oils. That's the prudent thing to do when there's double-digit unemployment, falling retirement benefits, and higher prices. But since these are also the oil producing countries, it's leading to a glut and a crash.
Good new for consumers but not for producers.
× < >