Personal Finance

Just ordered Textbook from seller in Europe...shipping by UPS...Am I screwed?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2012 10:54 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9836 upvotes
Toronto

Just ordered Textbook from seller in Europe...shipping by UPS...Am I screwed?

So I just ordered a textbook from a seller from Malaysia with 15101 positive rating.

Seller was selling a textbook that I use at my uni for about 1/4th the price of the book store here, so I decided to buy it (an hour ago)...just realizing now that I forgot all about the potential of customs etc.

Am I screwed?

The listing on eBay (it's a BIN with over 60 sold) shows that shipping is $4.00, but I just realized that the carrier is UPS....how screwed am I?
Realtor (Investment Properties) - CPA, CA
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3907 posts
2336 upvotes
Ottawa
Anecdotal story: I ordered from a seller that said the textbook was being sent from Montreal, but turns out it was shipped from India, airmail via DHL.

When I received it, I could see that DHL opened the package (there was their "DHL Customs Inspection tape" along with their own receipt.)

No taxes or anything that I had to pay :) It was declared as "loose papers" which is 0 tax & duty

Just be aware that technically books are taxed starting at the first penny (it doesn't qualify for the $20 waiver amount)

Have fun in your classes DWS :)
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9836 upvotes
Toronto
Just heard back from the buyer, he said he will send it through DHL Express and claim it as a Gift but will put it as a book with name on it...said he won't put false information like "Loose paper". Also said he wouldn't put a value on it.

Fingers crossed!

PS: Classes are never fun! Especially those that relate to Calc :(
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3503 posts
615 upvotes
Ottawa
From my Experiences you are SCREWED.... Ups will make up a bunch of fee's and the book will end up costing you way more then you ever imagined..

Avoid UPS/FEDEX when Buying from outside of Canada.
Hello
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2010
1398 posts
208 upvotes
Only if the book gets charged customs, then UPS will add a fee to it, outside of the customs. If it doesn't get charged customs, then no fee from UPS as well.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9836 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote: If the customs/duties fees are to high then reject the package!
That's what I'll likely end up doing.
Jun 5, 2007
973 posts
205 upvotes
York
deal_with_singh wrote: That's what I'll likely end up doing.
Malaysia, contrary to popular opinion is actually in Asia

I just ordered a few last week for a sibling and certainly have done it in the past shipped with dhl, ups and fedex. They ship extremely fast (received in Toronto in 3-4 business days) I have never been charged duties on these and even had a textbook opened by customs but no duties charged.
the package will also probably ship UPS Worldwide Saver so no brokerage fees worst comes to worse.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1048 posts
784 upvotes
ordered multiple "international edition" books from malaysia on ebay before for school. i wasnt charged anything at customs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)