Careers

Just passed my IFIC exam, now what?Primerica?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 12:15 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 17, 2004
449 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto

Just passed my IFIC exam, now what?Primerica?

So, is that going to be the bottom of the employement chain? What kind of opportunities does that open? What should I do?, take another course?, or go look for a job?

I'd like to hear other peoples opinion of what they think this IFIC certification does. Even if it's pure speculation(at least warn us). Before looking into it and taking it I did not look into it much, I obviously learned enough about it.What I'd like to do is, get an opinion from the unbiased.
26 replies
Feb 17, 2004
52 posts
1 upvote
biggerthanboykins wrote:
Mar 26th, 2007 7:28 pm
So, is that going to be the bottom of the employement chain? What kind of opportunities does that open? What should I do?, take another course?, or go look for a job?

I'd like to hear other peoples opinion of what they think this IFIC certification does. Even if it's pure speculation(at least warn us). Before looking into it and taking it I did not look into it much, I obviously learned enough about it.What I'd like to do is, get an opinion from the unbiased.

I had to actually look that up on Google. IFIC, i would assume a tell position.
Banned
Mar 12, 2007
87 posts
IFIC = Investment Funds In Canada = Mutual Fund License

ONLY good if you work in branches selling MF, Mutual Fund Companies dealing with MF, call centres dealing with MF.

Not much. To do more you need the CSC (Canadian Securities Course) from CSI and more courses.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5718 posts
171 upvotes
GTA
biggerthanboykins wrote:
Mar 26th, 2007 7:28 pm

You can apply to the banks as an FSR (financial services rep) average salary starting at around $30k/year. In the meantime, go get your CSC, then your PFP and then apply as an FA (financial advisor) base salary of $45k + bonuses based on performance. I knew of some FA's who made close to a 6 digit salary!!!! (these figures are from TD Canada Trust)

sk
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2004
1742 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
sunnybono wrote:
Mar 26th, 2007 8:46 pm
You can apply to the banks as an FSR (financial services rep) average salary starting at around $30k/year. In the meantime, go get your CSC, then your PFP and then apply as an FA (financial advisor) base salary of $45k + bonuses based on performance. I knew of some FA's who made close to a 6 digit salary!!!! (these figures are from TD Canada Trust)

sk
I heard that TD FA's can also be paid as little as low as 35-30k per year if their performance is low though, and possibly be "demoted" into consultation position/jobs (with lower pay/hours). Although this position is primarily based on sales, so i guess it's to be expected.
Paulfistinyourface wrote:This is RFD. High moral values are way down the ladder of acceptability around here. It's all about stepping on your grandmothers throat to save a buck.
Heatware
Jun 15, 2004
385 posts
1 upvote
you can apply to a bank as a personal banker, it will look good on your part that you've already completed the IFIC exam. you basically start at the lowest sales position in the branch and you work your way up. starting salary is around 35k
[OP]
Mar 17, 2004
449 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I'm looking into my CSC, one of my classmates is already enrolled.

Also I think i'm going to go work at Primerica, until they get me the license whatever it is,and then leave. I'm going to look it up on here.
Jul 19, 2006
59 posts
mississauga/hamilton
NOOOO PRIMERICA!!!... i hear its bad news... dads been in the biz for like 15 years now with insurance, mutual funds, and the whole works... says its almost like a scam. brother checked it out... no good.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2004
1742 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
biggerthanboykins wrote:
Mar 27th, 2007 4:46 pm
I'm looking into my CSC, one of my classmates is already enrolled.

Also I think i'm going to go work at Primerica, until they get me the license whatever it is,and then leave. I'm going to look it up on here.
Primerica operates with horrible and unethical practices, I think that having them on your resume is pretty much a deathnote when hiring employees read through your resume.

I think you should research more into the financial industry and its companies before you make a rash move and join a "wonderful" company like Primerica.
Paulfistinyourface wrote:This is RFD. High moral values are way down the ladder of acceptability around here. It's all about stepping on your grandmothers throat to save a buck.
Heatware
[OP]
Mar 17, 2004
449 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I've read all the things on here about primerica, and have been harrased already by them, BUT I'd like the license or certification that they offer. I am well aware of their practices and I will not give up my families information. If they don't help me get the licence then I'll leave. I in no way want to pursue them as a career. My sister took a job with them and bragged to me about it because i was going to school for a job that she got with no training (redflags everywhere here) then, ofcourse being the only one in my family that has and money saved she automatically asked me if she could use me for her training I told her to SHOVE IT and she got pissed, two weeks later I found out she used my parents and they switched from whole life insurance to term life insurance. I told her she got used, and asked her how much money she had made, $0 not a a penny, but she got to pay $200 bux for a $400 certification.

Oh yah she never made a dime, she worked their for 2 months. I joke about it all the time to her..

Remember I am well aware of the practices of the company, I just want to see how easily I can add certifications to my resume.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2004
1742 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
biggerthanboykins wrote:
Mar 28th, 2007 8:35 am
I've read all the things on here about primerica, and have been harrased already by them, BUT I'd like the license or certification that they offer. I am well aware of their practices and I will not give up my families information. If they don't help me get the licence then I'll leave. I in no way want to pursue them as a career. My sister took a job with them and bragged to me about it because i was going to school for a job that she got with no training (redflags everywhere here) then, ofcourse being the only one in my family that has and money saved she automatically asked me if she could use me for her training I told her to SHOVE IT and she got pissed, two weeks later I found out she used my parents and they switched from whole life insurance to term life insurance. I told her she got used, and asked her how much money she had made, $0 not a a penny, but she got to pay $200 bux for a $400 certification.

Oh yah she never made a dime, she worked their for 2 months. I joke about it all the time to her..

Remember I am well aware of the practices of the company, I just want to see how easily I can add certifications to my resume.
If you just want your IFIC, isn't it just easier to pay for the course and exam than join Primerica? For all that time and hellish effort, I don't think it's worth it. Just avoid Primerica, it's common sense.

Oh yeah, and your sis pretty much screwed your parents whole life insurance policy by converting it into a term life policy and eliminating all of the cash value.

I don't know where your parent's whole life insurance cash value went to (because I don't know enough information from what you've given me), but your parents are going to have to pay higher premiums than what they originally had when their term life insurance policy ends, if they want to convert to a cash value life insurance policy.
Heatware
[OP]
Mar 17, 2004
449 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
TheDarkRage wrote:
Mar 28th, 2007 1:12 pm
If you just want your IFIC, isn't it just easier to pay for the course and exam than join Primerica? For all that time and hellish effort, I don't think it's worth it. Just avoid Primerica, it's common sense.

Oh yeah, and your sis pretty much screwed your parents whole life insurance policy by converting it into a term life policy and eliminating all of the cash value.

I don't know where your parent's whole life insurance cash value went to (because I don't know enough information from what you've given me), but your parents are going to have to pay higher premiums than what they originally had when their term life insurance policy ends, if they want to convert to a cash value life insurance policy.
I don't think they will go back to whole life, probably just do term again. Since my parents cut off there whole life should they have gotten a refund of some sort, like the equity they earned? They probably did, they just didn't mention it, or maybe they didn't.

Anyways I know that what my sis did was dumb hence the sarcastic comment s that I throw at her everytime I see her, there is nothing I can do now. Igtg but i'll get back to you with more detail.

I'm still considering the primerica thing, only because I feel like I'm at an advantage already going in with the knowledge about them that I do. Going with Primerica pretty much guarantees me the certification and I can just stop going after the results are in. Oh, AND I know I can be an employee from hell, hehehe.

I ALREAY HAVE MY IFIC, forgot to add that, just looking for more crap to tack onto the resume.
Mar 26, 2003
59 posts
Vancouver
Was the IFIC hard?? I got CSC and now thinking of what else to get

Btw, how much did u pay for your IFIC?
[OP]
Mar 17, 2004
449 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
kckev wrote:
Mar 29th, 2007 3:45 pm
Was the IFIC hard?? I got CSC and now thinking of what else to get

Btw, how much did u pay for your IFIC?
I'm going to college and that was the main certification, it wasn't ridiculously hard, I'm more afraid of taking the csc now. I think the CSC is harder.