• Dec 20th, 2009 1:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15043 posts
748 upvotes

JXD 660/661/680/681 MP3/MP4 player discussion

Until something better comes out from one of the major labels (Apple, Iriver, Creative etc in regards to flash based video playback) I'm still recommending the JXD 660 or it's sister product the 680 with a 1.3 MP digital camera (sans flash).

Full photo shoot: http://news.sanhaostreet.com/NewsData// ... 8021.shtml

Upside:

free SD slot. Official support for 1 GB with some [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] sellers claiming 2 GB.
Line in audio recording
Line in video recording and video out at about VCD quality
Records video in asf format. Philips 642 could play recorded videos but not audio
Long battery life for video (about 5-6 hours)
A crisp 2.5" screen with great video playback
A 1 GB SD card will hold approx. 3 hours of videos recorded from the unit.
Voice recording
Line in MP3 recording
ID3 tags
Built in speaker
Snake and Tetris games
Text file reader
Comes bundled with the A/V cable to input/output from TV.

Picked mine up for $70 CDN ship/exchange/everything in off [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] (average auctions end at about $100 but I hunted around for a deal)

Downside:
Divx files need to be transcoded (like all the other flash based PVP/PMPs) however line in video recording is the next best thing imho

MP3s does not support subfolders.

Very occasionally (1 out of 10 times) in the MP3 menu all text will be in chinese before flashing back to english in less than a second. Bink and you might miss it.

Must use system setup menu to turn on or off speaker. Speaker will still operate while headphones are attached unless it's turned off in this menu.

I spent awhile looking at the Sansa e250 and similar products and found the JXD to be ahead of the pack in every regard which surprised the heck out of me since it's about the cheapest option out there.
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/petitio ... s-2013921/
24 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15043 posts
748 upvotes
From this thread: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=313950
mark_in_2k wrote:Hey NG, I was wondering how you're liking the JXD 660? I'm looking for a player, mainly for video, for the gym. Can you give us a mini review?
I do like it. It's by no mean perfect but unless someone wants to drop a few hundred on a Ipod Video, Vision: M or one of the 3.5" PVP/PMP solutions from the handful of providers (Creative, Archos, Cowon) that offer non-transcoded divx files (or the Ipod Video format in the case of the Ipod) I found this to be the best option out there.

I'm not sure what more I can add that wasn't in the above post but I'll think about it and can answer any specific questions anybody has.

sfu_engineer wrote:@NG:

I took a look at the JXD on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]Ebay[/rfdlink] and it looks pretty sweet. I like the form factor, video out, and screen. The only problem is the "8 hour battery life" that was advertised here:
I'm not sure there. Perhaps he's quoting the listed battery life for video? I just did a full charge of mine and I'll do some tests.

Aside from using the line in to copy some vinyl over to MP3 I haven't used it for MP3s but I've been very happy with the battery life for video playback.

I've also seen this item forged under the Sony label on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] and seen auctions that didn't list any make (sometimes the picture showed JXD on the device, or a bunch of chinese writing where JXD would have been and sometimes no writing). I'm not sure if *all* of these are from the same factory/company or if there are clones out there that do the same features but I'll work on compiling a [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] keyword list that gives good search results in [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink].
Also I think you should start a new thread about the JXD in Computers and Electronics forum here so we can continue our discussions: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/foru ... y.php?f=14
Good idea. Done: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... ost3616095
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15043 posts
748 upvotes
Just started testing it out. I *think* I may know what's up with the 8 hour battery life. I couldn't find anything in the system settings menu to have a auto off for the display when playing MP3s (There was a timer to power down when left idle however) so my 5-6 hour guesstimate for videos does seem to jive with the 8 hour audio playback you found on the auction page.

I'm running the JXD right now (started at 12:46 PM) playing a clip I recorded off TV over and over again to get a more precise time on video playback. The battery indicator on the display is broken up into three parts so I'll report back when the the first 1/3 of it disappears and then I can check again for audio to see how long it lasts for 1/3.

I also tried to run a recorded video file through Gspot however apparently it can't handle asf files so I can't check the full details on the recordings but can confirm that the 30 fps listed on the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] page sfu_eng provided appears to be correct since even fast motion video doesn't lose frames. If anybody knows a program that can analyze video files and can handle asf files I can install it (pending spyware/adware free check) and pass on the results if anybody wants.

Update: 1hr 45 mins of video playback drained the battery by about a 1/3
with the headphone volume at the default level and I'm playing mp3s right now so I'll see how long the next 1/3 of the battery levels takes to go down.

I did find in the MP3 section sub menu to have a timer turn off the backlight for mp3s.

One more note that I forgot to mention. The only languages on the device is english and chinese and one bug I've found is that in the mp3 menu (and only mp3 for some reason) when you enter the menu it'll show up as chinese for about 1 second once out of every 10 times or so but it changes back to english in a blink of an eye.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15043 posts
748 upvotes
I chatted with the couple members interested with this device a week or so ago via PM but thought I'd copy n paste my replies here for the google bots incase somebody surfs in wondering...

It did take a few mins to tranfer over a 107 mb size file so it is 1.1. I've seen 1.1 listed alot in these over seas MP4 players so I'm not surprised by that nor not being able to find any North American sellers.

There was one guy out of Texas who stocked various JXD models on [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] but he's been out of the game for about a year or so.

When you get it you may want to pop by Dollarama. The sack they give you for it is quite over sized (AC adaptor, av cable and the unit can all fit inside) but there's a cellphone case they carry for candy bar style cellphones that kinda stretches and if you wiggle the JXD into the case it'll reform itself after about a week of use and be a perfect fit.
I just finished checking the battery for MP3s and 1/3 of the battery indicator lasted about 5 1/2 hours so it should play about 16 hours for MP3s (on my JXD660 model since I don't know if others have a different Mah battery capacity). I just googled around trying to find the battery life for the Clix and according to Cnet the mp3 playback time seem comparable between the two. Couldn't find any real world test results for the video portion of the Clix however but the 5+ hours video life I've gotton from the JXD has been more than good enough for me.

I also just got the [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=167]Dell[/rfdlink] 2 GB Kingston deal and been playing around with it and it looks like it supports a 2 GB card just fine (offical support is 1 but [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] sellers claimed 2 GB worked). Now the odd thing is the files it's recording from TV with the 2GB card appear to be *much* smaller (but the same quality). My only guess is that this card (unlike my others) is high speed (50x). An ep of Star Trek TNG that I recorded from DVD is about 110,000 KB to give an idea of how much the high speed card holds.

I also made a couple of revisions to the thread earlier if you haven't seen them.

Personally I think you'll be much happier with the JXD for video playback with the 30 fps and line in record from TV. I've even had someone who owns a Ipod Video say he thought the video quality was better on the JXD.

However I think the clix should kick it's butt for MP3 (I assume the Clix supports folders unlike the JXD) and games (tetris and snake on the JXD gets old fast).

If you have anymore q's feel free to IM me and I'll try to answer them.

Cheers
Gord

p.s. I don't know which model you ordered but check out www.jxd.cc - they have firmware updates for some models there.
With the exception of the *very* quick Chinese language flash on the MP3 menu I've found the JXD interface to be fine - nothing flashy but it gets the job done. Buttons and the build of the device overall is good. Actually looks like they "designed" it as opposed to just slapping it together.
Dec 24, 2006
1 posts
:evil: I did bought a JXD 660 in China a few month ago to offer it as christmas gift for my son. Unfortunatly it dead after 1minute of usage.

After many hours on internet, JXD site dont answer, Phone a chineese ansering machine, no support any where. Any Idea, next will be to open it but who can do it...
Oct 21, 2006
66 posts
That sounds like a great device for only 70 bucks... but Chinese made E-bay goods usually have low quality... I've found.

How bad/annoying are the defects?
Is the device pocket-able or no?

There doesn't seem to be anymore of these selling on E-bay.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15043 posts
748 upvotes
powertopeople wrote:
Jan 1st, 2007 3:02 pm
That sounds like a great device for only 70 bucks... but Chinese made E-bay goods usually have low quality... I've found.

How bad/annoying are the defects?
Is the device pocket-able or no?

There doesn't seem to be anymore of these selling on E-bay.
JXD is just one of many companies selling devices like this. I've found the quality of mine to be fine. A couple other members here have them too and someone is selling one like it in BST iirc. You can place it in your pocket. It's larger than the Sansa e260 (but it can record, output to TV and the playback is a full 30 fps) and smaller than the Ipod Video (but flash based with an open SD slot).

There's also this unit which is pretty much the same for $85 at geeks.com:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... 12&cat=MP3

Mine is a more basic model with on 256 onboard memory unlike the 512mb at the geeks and that one has a digicam built in (no flash).

However there are these two:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... LK&cat=MP3
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... RN&cat=MP3

that appear to be the same from what I've read but also has the ability to play games for $80.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15043 posts
748 upvotes
alcanlumo wrote:
Dec 28th, 2006 10:22 am
:evil: I did bought a JXD 660 in China a few month ago to offer it as christmas gift for my son. Unfortunatly it dead after 1minute of usage.

After many hours on internet, JXD site dont answer, Phone a chineese ansering machine, no support any where. Any Idea, next will be to open it but who can do it...
I don't know how good their support is (or not) however you many try sending them an e-mail on their site @ jxd.cc

I assume everybody working there speaks chinese only so they might not know what to do when an english voicemail shows up. At least with e-mail they can run it through a translation site.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15043 posts
748 upvotes
Got a PM that I thought I'd post for the Googlebots/Boardtracker:
I did open the JXD 660 to discover that the batterie red cable was not sold did repair in 5 minutes. Now I did order a new one from Geeks in state and it both now work well. I am trying to charge from USB cable is it the way because the new one from an other company did came with an electrical charger 110 volt the jxd did not is it correct? did you got a charger with your jxd?
Cable was included.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15043 posts
748 upvotes
powertopeople wrote:
Jan 27th, 2007 6:03 am
Out of curiosity, how's the sound quality compared to mainstream brands?
These devices can play MP3's, WMA's fine (although I'm not an audiophile).

Comparing them to those Ipod Nano knock offs from Ebay etc might be the best comparison for audio playback but I'd suspect the competing flash based mp3 player that play video from major companies like the Sandisk Sansa e260, Iriver Clix, Creative V Plus etc would do a better job.

I've actually never used mine for audio regularly (aside from using the line in jack to encode some stuff to MP3). The big selling point for this is unlike all the other flash based MP4 players listed above is that it is the only type of flash based player I've found that can playback at a full 30 fps.

The line in audio/video recording, line out a/v playback, larger 2.5" screen, open SD slot, tetris and, on higher end models than mine, rom game playback, fm radio/recording and digial camera is just gravy.

Edited to add: I have been able to confirm that the ebay sellers were correct and it does support 2GB cards. I must say I'm wondering how it'd handle 4GB's now that the prices of those are really starting to drop.

Also if anyone finding this thread from Boardtracker/Google has a problem of a kinda pixelated screen try spraying some compressed air in the SD slot since it's a hard plastic little door and not a rubbery type so dust is prone to get in there.
Jan 2, 2008
1 posts
india
i have jxd 661 1gb
and with 2gb kingston sd card its working fine
i want to know that whether it support 4gb sd card??????????
and i hve succesfully changed skin also.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15043 posts
748 upvotes
shuhailnp wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2008 11:57 am
i have jxd 661 1gb
and with 2gb kingston sd card its working fine
i want to know that whether it support 4gb sd card??????????
and i hve succesfully changed skin also.
No idea but if you find out please let us know.

My 660 was only rated 1 GB SD card compatible but it took a 2 GB fine.
Feb 10, 2008
1 posts
huddersfield
Hi,
I've just recently been given a JXD 660 as a gift but unfortunately the menu is in chinese and so is the user manual! I know that the JXD has chinese and english menu options but with it being set to Chinese I can't understand it.
Does anyone know where I can download a manual for this English?
I have looked at the JXD website but the manual on there is in Chinese.
Failing that, can anyone tell which menu options I need to go through to switxh it to English?
Thanks
sam
× < >