None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2005
1641 posts
213 upvotes
Calgary

K9 Advantix II - where to buy?

I'm looking to get some K9 Advantix II for my pup. Has anyone found a good place to buy this in Canada (or Calgary specifically)? I can only seem to find it in the US. The active ingredient is Permethrin, so not like it's banned in Canada or unsafe for dogs.
16 replies
Aug 16, 2011
805 posts
216 upvotes
Kitchener
it's not banned but you can only buy it with a prescription from a vet
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
starrlamia wrote:
Apr 30th, 2016 9:49 am
it's not banned but you can only buy it with a prescription from a vet
Agreed. Nuprapture, our vet requires a test of K9 before she will sell the packs of 6/12. It apparently is quite strong. I would suggest you check with your vet.

Our Eskie of course has the very full coat and apparently K9 (at least the version our vet carries has to be applied in a few spots). Frankly applying the topical Revolution was a nightmare with applying to just one spot on the back of his neck.

We are very happy to be back with the chewable Heartgard Plus for heartworm and Brav/Ecto for ticks.
Apr 25, 2011
712 posts
265 upvotes
British Columbia
It's found in veterinary offices and you will have needed to visit the office in the last year for them to sell it to you. They may need to order it in for you depending on your location as some places don't have as much of a concern regarding ticks.

I'd suggest Bravecto instead. It does fleas and ticks and lasts for e months per tablet. But you will still have needed to see a veterinarian in the last year as it's a prescription.
Banned
Mar 1, 2016
13 posts
4 upvotes
I second Bravecto, it targets more types of fleas and yea, one pill lasting 3 months is better than applying an oil every month - my dogs hate the drops on their necks. At my vet, Advantage and Advantix is over-the-counter from the vet - you don't need a prescription or to have seen the vet or even be a patient of the clinic. But Bravecto, Revolution, Sentinel and Advantage Multi, you do and must have been seen in the past year
Aug 13, 2015
25 posts
2 upvotes
On the ocean
rosegirlxo wrote:
May 4th, 2016 12:54 am
Advantage and Advantix is over-the-counter from the vet - you don't need a prescription or to have seen the vet or even be a patient of the clinic. But Bravecto, Revolution, Sentinel and Advantage Multi, you do and must have been seen in the past year
This is correct. Advantage (for fleas, available for dog & cat) & Advantix (for fleas & ticks, available for dog only - it is toxic to cats!) are both over the counter and do not require a prescription. Bravecto, Revolution, Advantage Multi, Sentinel, Program, etc are all considered prescription medications however. Source: vet.

edit: In response to someone else's comment about preferring Bravecto for ticks due to it lasting longer than Advantix (3 months vs. 1 month), Bravecto is an excellent product but requires ticks to actually bite the animal in order to be killed, whereas Advantix can kill ticks by contact, which in theory greatly reduces the risk of tick-borne illness transmission.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
atlanticcoaster wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2016 2:22 pm
This is correct. Advantage (for fleas, available for dog & cat) & Advantix (for fleas & ticks, available for dog only - it is toxic to cats!) are both over the counter and do not require a prescription. Bravecto, Revolution, Advantage Multi, Sentinel, Program, etc are all considered prescription medications however. Source: vet.

edit: In response to someone else's comment about preferring Bravecto for ticks due to it lasting longer than Advantix (3 months vs. 1 month), Bravecto is an excellent product but requires ticks to actually bite the animal in order to be killed, whereas Advantix can kill ticks by contact, which in theory greatly reduces the risk of tick-borne illness transmission.
We buy the Bravecto and are happy it is a chewable. It is not pretty trying to apply a topical to a dog with very thick neck fur!

We will be buying another Bravecto pill in late June - I decided last year that the boxes were taking up too much room in our dog's medicine case and we won't forget to buy it. On the other hand I am pretty confident that the person who will be bitten will be me not our dog nor my husband (he is never bitten). Once again the Benadryl has not been opened and has expired. We have a new pack - just in case. I am allergic to it and bugs love me - must be all of that sweet blood running close to the surface.
Apr 25, 2011
712 posts
265 upvotes
British Columbia
Yes my bad. It is not by perscription! We never sell it at work. The vets didn't even know it wasn't a prescription product, haha.

That means you don't need to have visited a vet and can in fact just find it online if you want to buy it there. The same goes for regular Advantage, the one that only is for fleas.

I am very curious how that website can sell Bravecto... especially at that price. That is less than you can buy it at cost here. I'd be leery.

I looked into it a little more on a few websites that rate other websites. One gave it a trust rating of 20% -- it says it is in Australian but its real location is being hidden. Another classfied it as a rouge pharmacy which means:
the sale, prescribing or dispensing of prescription or other drugs reasonably appears to intentionally or knowingly violate, facilitate the violation of, or offer to facilitate the violation of applicable laws or regulations, defined as the laws and regulations where the drugs are dispensed from or where they are offered to be shipped to;
Does not adhere to accepted standards of medical and/or pharmacy practice, including standards of safety; and/or
Engages in fraudulent or deceptive business.

I'd read this before considering purchasing from them again:
www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048164.htm
Jan 8, 2017
1 posts
I buy all my flea medication from 1-800 pet meds ... in Canada you require a prescription ... no prescription needed to order from them! Saves me money also on the treatment it's self ... just ordered adavantix 2 6 month supply for $71 that includes shipping ... my vet wanted to charge me $99 for 3 months. I'm preventively treating a 85 pound German Shepard.
Feb 13, 2017
1 posts
Well you can get K9 Advantix II from a local drug store or else explore petcarerx.com which has its stock at best price. Yet, this pill works great in preventing our pets from flea and ticks and you can see the better result in pet’s health. However, consult your vet first, before giving any medical treatment.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
2952 posts
438 upvotes
JulioCoy wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 7:15 am
Well you can get K9 Advantix II from a local drug store or else explore petcarerx.com which has its stock at best price. Yet, this pill works great in preventing our pets from flea and ticks and you can see the better result in pet’s health. However, consult your vet first, before giving any medical treatment.
Agreed. Check with your vet first. We buy our meds from our vet, but that is just us.