Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2001
1347 posts
46 upvotes

Kal Tire....Free Tire FIX...NOT!

I was suggested by several forums here that Kal Tire does free tire repairs for first time customers. As my tire had a nail, I went to get it fixed at the creditstone location. All the other places wanted 30-35$.

Initially, they said it was free. However, when it was time to pick up the car, they wanted 60$ for a "TPMS reset". I paid reluctantly. After talking to a Toyota mechanic, he said that TPMS reset is not required as the light goes out when the pressure is back to normal after a repair. I was so upset. Anyhow, warning to all the people who get their tires fixed....specify not to touch the TPMS computer.
All is not golde that outward shewith bright...lydgate
8 replies
May 20, 2010
787 posts
102 upvotes
hammer wrote:
Nov 29th, 2011 9:30 am
I was suggested by several forums here that Kal Tire does free tire repairs for first time customers. As my tire had a nail, I went to get it fixed at the creditstone location. All the other places wanted 30-35$.

Initially, they said it was free. However, when it was time to pick up the car, they wanted 60$ for a "TPMS reset". I paid reluctantly. After talking to a Toyota mechanic, he said that TPMS reset is not required as the light goes out when the pressure is back to normal after a repair. I was so upset. Anyhow, warning to all the people who get their tires fixed....specify not to touch the TPMS computer.

Kal-tire has both corporate stores, and independently owned locations as well. I would definitely go speak to them about it, and if you're not satisfied, contact head office. I had a screw in a tire, Kal-tire near work took it out and put a plug in for $15-$20 or so (cost of the plug, which i'm sure is a large markup, but whatever, I was happy with the price!).

I also had a TPMS sensor die in one of my wheels. The guy was honest with me that he could order an after market part that would work, but I'd be better off price and performance wise getting an actual part from Nissan - they'd happily install it for me though. So I got the part (paid my $90 or so), and dropped it off to be installed. I was happily surprised when there was no charge afterwards.

So it's a complete YMMV deal. Ask them before hand what the total charge would be.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2360 posts
330 upvotes
hammer wrote:
Nov 29th, 2011 9:30 am

Isn't it illegal to charge for something without advanced notice? It'd be one thing for them to have done it because it was absolutely necessary for the safe operation of your car, and it was something only they could do in the garage, but:

A) It's not necessary for your safety, all it does it put a light on your dash to tell you that the pressure in one of your tires is low
B) It takes exactly 10 seconds to reset it yourself! OK, maybe longer since you'll have to look up how to do it in the manual, but really it's something stupid simple like "hold the reset button for 10 seconds".

I'd definitely go in and demand a refund, or a better explanation of what this reset was. If they put in a whole new part (which they shouldn't have had to do unless it was damaged), then $60 isn't unreasonable. But $60 to hold a button for a few seconds? Ridiculous!

(NB: I'm referring to the reset method on my '08 Vibe...your car may be different, but I doubt it's much more complicated)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2001
1347 posts
46 upvotes
GSRee wrote:
Nov 29th, 2011 1:43 pm
Isn't it illegal to charge for something without advanced notice? It'd be one thing for them to have done it because it was absolutely necessary for the safe operation of your car, and it was something only they could do in the garage, but:

A) It's not necessary for your safety, all it does it put a light on your dash to tell you that the pressure in one of your tires is low
B) It takes exactly 10 seconds to reset it yourself! OK, maybe longer since you'll have to look up how to do it in the manual, but really it's something stupid simple like "hold the reset button for 10 seconds".

I'd definitely go in and demand a refund, or a better explanation of what this reset was. If they put in a whole new part (which they shouldn't have had to do unless it was damaged), then $60 isn't unreasonable. But $60 to hold a button for a few seconds? Ridiculous!

(NB: I'm referring to the reset method on my '08 Vibe...your car may be different, but I doubt it's much more complicated)

No reset is required on a Toyota. The light just goes out by itself after you drive it for a few minutes with proper pressure...confirmed from experience and a Toyota mechanic. So I most def. got shafted.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10799 posts
1345 upvotes
Edmonton
Contact the Kal Tire Canadian Corporate Office and complain. Be sure to send them a link to this thread and point out that it is on the largest consumer discussion website in Canada.

My company stopped using Kal Tire after some problems last year with overbilling to our fleet company. That's a fleet of 500+ vehicles they will never have as a customer ever again...
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16030 posts
6200 upvotes
hammer wrote:
Nov 29th, 2011 1:53 pm
No reset is required on a Toyota. The light just goes out by itself after you drive it for a few minutes with proper pressure...confirmed from experience and a Toyota mechanic. So I most def. got shafted.
You didn't get shafted at all. You chose to deal with a third party shop that is not going to be up to date on all the various technologies out there. They have the ability to resolve the issues they encounter, but to expect them to know everything about every TPMS sensor from every manufacturer is unrealistic.

If you're expected a Toyota-trained technician to work on your vehicle go to a Toyota dealer. Going to Kal Tire, Tirecraft, Fountain Tire, etc... you are just getting someone who can install a tire and troubleshoot problems that arise but does not have the intricate knowledge of every brand.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7958 posts
1045 upvotes
TrevorK wrote:
Nov 29th, 2011 2:11 pm
You didn't get shafted at all. You chose to deal with a third party shop that is not going to be up to date on all the various technologies out there. They have the ability to resolve the issues they encounter, but to expect them to know everything about every TPMS sensor from every manufacturer is unrealistic.

If you're expected a Toyota-trained technician to work on your vehicle go to a Toyota dealer. Going to Kal Tire, Tirecraft, Fountain Tire, etc... you are just getting someone who can install a tire and troubleshoot problems that arise but does not have the intricate knowledge of every brand.

No OP got shafted, there's nothing to reset on a Toyota and they know this. You can't seriously believe they're not familiar with Toyota's TPMS when you consider that Toyota's number 2 in the world for most cars sold and they more then likely handle a huge volume of Toyota vehicles.

If it was a more obscure manufacturer, like Saab or something, then that argument might work but not for a Toyota, or GM or Honda vehicles.

And besides that's moot because OP still got shafted, they charged OP for work that they were not informed about or had signed off on before hand.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2001
1347 posts
46 upvotes
Winkle wrote:
Nov 29th, 2011 2:18 pm
No OP got shafted, there's nothing to reset on a Toyota and they know this. You can't seriously believe they're not familiar with Toyota's TPMS when you consider that Toyota's number 2 in the world for most cars sold and they more then likely handle a huge volume of Toyota vehicles.

If it was a more obscure manufacturer, like Saab or something, then that argument might work but not for a Toyota, or GM or Honda vehicles.

And besides that's moot because OP still got shafted, they charged OP for work that they were not informed about or had signed off on before hand.

Thanks for everyones support....LO and BEHOLD...just got a call for KAL Tire head office and that I will be getting a refund! They said it was just an error.
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
542 upvotes
toyota does not need reset. i have my sister's matrix to tell you. :)