Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5345 posts
542 upvotes
Mississauga

Kanda Sushi (AYCE) in Mississauga

I just came back from a brand new AYCE called Kanda Sushi (not the same as the Montreal restaurant). Its located in the plaza at the corner of Queensway and Hurontario.

It just opened recently and we received a 10% discount. The regular price on weeknights is $19.95. I can't remember what the other prices were.
They also have regular menu which is very affordable.

The food was very good! I really liked the miso soup, crab salad, crunchy chicken wings and mackeral. The spider handroll (which is softshell crab) was very tasty.
The sashimi was nicely cut and nice portions. Each dish we ordered was freshly made. Pop and tea were included in the meal.

The best thing also about this sushi place is its owned by chinese. Service was really good and they were friendly.

We got there around 5pm and finished around 6pm. Too bad people haven't heard about this new ayce sushi place yet. The place was empty. I'd hate to see them go out of business because the food was very decent and very well priced.... Much better then Tako Sushi.
33 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2316 posts
19 upvotes
I might have to try this place out. This use to be a Thai restaurant and it was one of the better places to eat at. If you like sushi and don't mind a drive, head down to Sushi Hour in Oakville, its near Dundas and the 403. It is by far one of the better sushi places I've been to in the Mississauga area.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5345 posts
542 upvotes
Mississauga
Its always good to learn about better sushi places finally popping up in the Mississauga area.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
Raggie wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 7:19 pm
The best thing also about this sushi place is its owned by chinese.

i found this statement to be a little odd.
that was the best thing about the place?
i've said this in another post recently, that you don't have to be of the same ethnicity as the cuisine to produce good food, but to say that 'the best thing also about this sushi place is its owned by chinese' is really odd. that is not a positive nor a negative. it's just how it is at that resto.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5345 posts
542 upvotes
Mississauga
ippon wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 11:04 pm
i found this statement to be a little odd.
that was the best thing about the place?
i've said this in another post recently, that you don't have to be of the same ethnicity as the cuisine to produce good food, but to say that 'the best thing also about this sushi place is its owned by chinese' is really odd. that is not a positive nor a negative. it's just how it is at that resto.
Have you eaten at sushi restaurants in Mississauga? If yes, then you should know what I mean by that statement.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
Raggie wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 11:10 pm
Have you eaten at sushi restaurants in Mississauga? If yes, then you should know what I mean by that statement.
i haven't for a very long time, so i'd need you to explain it to me.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2002
1429 posts
83 upvotes
Raggie wrote:
Sep 16th, 2010 7:19 pm
The best thing also about this sushi place is its owned by chinese.

Yeah I'm wondering about this too. What does ethnicity of the owners have to do with anything? Are you saying sushi places run by Chinese are better than those run by Koreans or Japanese?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
abstract808 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2010 9:19 am
Yeah I'm wondering about this too. What does ethnicity of the owners have to do with anything? Are you saying sushi places run by Chinese are better than those run by Koreans or Japanese?

i've seen mexicans making sushi. it was really horribly bad, but i'm sure there are good mexican sushi chefs out there.

in slovakia, i saw white people making sushi at a high-end sushi joint. i didn't try it though, i only saw from outside. my slovak friend tried it, and he said it was good.
but it is quite interesting watching white people with a full of japanese chef gear making sushi.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5345 posts
542 upvotes
Mississauga
Sorry if I offended some people here.

Personally, I prefer sushi from authentic Japanese restaurants. In fact, my favourite Japanese restaurants are in the east end (Zen and Cafe Michi, etc). And the AYCE that I prefer are in the east end, and they happen to be Chinese operated (whats the one on Sheppard and McCowan).

I've found alot of the Japanese or sushi restaurants here are Korean owned. And also the Japanese/sushi restaurants are not of the some level as going towards the east end. Nothing against Korean's and their sushi, but I am biased and prefer in this order - Japanese and then Chinese.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2008
4934 posts
61 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Sushi 168 on Glenn Erin/Dundas is the best sushi place in Mississauga. The more you know.
York Region is best region!
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
408 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Chinese made sushi..hmm, for me it has always been bad. No matter if it's Mississauga, Markham, Richmond Hill or Brampton, even Toronto. Small portions of fish with huge chunks of rice, the cheaper material.

Korean made sushi I find is better at all the places I go to. I even get those small appetizers. I've never received that at the Chinese sushi places I've been to.

Anytime I hear a sushi joint is Chinese owned, I'm apprehensive about trying it out.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5345 posts
542 upvotes
Mississauga
You're right. Alot of the chinese run sushi places don't taste good. And I don't like the sushi at T and T. But I like the AYCE that are run by chinese because I think the menu has a lot of variety.

I've been to UMI Sushi which is Korean. They are over priced, poor service and taste horrible.
I've also been to Prince Sushi which is Chinese. The food is very good but I wouldn't go back because the lady is nasty.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
Raggie wrote:
Sep 17th, 2010 1:54 pm
You're right. Alot of the chinese run sushi places don't taste good. And I don't like the sushi at T and T. But I like the AYCE that are run by chinese because I think the menu has a lot of variety.

I've been to UMI Sushi which is Korean. They are over priced, poor service and taste horrible.
I've also been to Prince Sushi which is Chinese. The food is very good but I wouldn't go back because the lady is nasty.

again, i was not offended Raggie. just merely curious. i'm consciously politically incorrect than the most. i try to take pride in it, matter of fact.

i would like add a couple of things though. i do not believe the comparison is fair, between T&T sushi & made to order restaurant sushi. i've seen these stores making sushi at these stores, and first they have absolutely horrible technique, and second, their stuff is refrigerated. refrigerating sushi is the absolute worst thing you can do to the sushi. it's no different than eating microwavable hamburger.

and i gotta say, i'm more inclined to go to a korean sushi place than a chinese sushi place for this reason. both koreans and japanese share the love of raw fish and use of japonica rice. these two things are undeniably at the top of 5-6 the most important ingredients in both cuisines. sure rice is important in chinese culture too, depending on what region, but it's an entirely different rice. and geographically, raw fish was less important for the chinese than japan (an island country) and korea (a peninsula). the vast majority of the chinese population were too far away from fresh seafood. so these two are a familiar ingredients to koreans.

it's no different than my preference of viets cooking my thai food over chinese cooking it. there are more commonalities between certain cultures, because of all the warring and f-ing that happened between the neighboring countries.

but again, ethnicity is not the perfect barometer. i mentioned recently in another thread that one of the worst sushi i've ever had was from a japanese place in toronto. at the end of the day though, i really wouldn't care if Carlos Mencia made sushi for me, as long as it tasted good, but him being mexican american is not a plus or a negative. it is just the way it is.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
5345 posts
542 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't think I was politically incorrect. I just stated the reason why I liked this restaurant. Also, I know the difference between the rice that Japanese, Koreans and Chinese use. Usually I order sashimi and not the nigiri because I'd rather eat the fish and not fill up on rice. I also know that the quality of fish differs from restaurant to restaurant (whether its a Korean or chinese based restaurant). But like I said, I prefer chinese based sushi restaurants over korean based restaurants. Especially in Mississauga, where the choice of quality sushi places are limited, its nice to see a wider selection coming in lately.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
you're right. you weren't being politically incorrect. it was just a stupid thing to say.
× < >