Kaspersky banned by US Dept. of Homeland Security

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2017 9:39 am
[OP]
Mar 22, 2017
19 posts
13 upvotes

Kaspersky banned by US Dept. of Homeland Security

This isn't intended to be a politically oriented post, but more of a point of general interest as I know Kaspersky is a relatively popular anti-virus package on RFD and a number of members are using it. Thought people might find this noteworthy. I've added the highlighting to the quote below.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/09/13/dhs ... tive-17-01
WASHINGTON – After careful consideration of available information and consultation with interagency partners, Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Elaine Duke today issued a Binding Operational Directive (BOD) directing Federal Executive Branch departments and agencies to take actions related to the use or presence of information security products, solutions, and services supplied directly or indirectly by AO Kaspersky Lab or related entities.

The BOD calls on departments and agencies to identify any use or presence of Kaspersky products on their information systems in the next 30 days, to develop detailed plans to remove and discontinue present and future use of the products in the next 60 days, and at 90 days from the date of this directive, unless directed otherwise by DHS based on new information, to begin to implement the agency plans to discontinue use and remove the products from information systems.

This action is based on the information security risks presented by the use of Kaspersky products on federal information systems. Kaspersky anti-virus products and solutions provide broad access to files and elevated privileges on the computers on which the software is installed, which can be exploited by malicious cyber actors to compromise those information systems. The Department is concerned about the ties between certain Kaspersky officials and Russian intelligence and other government agencies, and requirements under Russian law that allow Russian intelligence agencies to request or compel assistance from Kaspersky and to intercept communications transiting Russian networks. The risk that the Russian government, whether acting on its own or in collaboration with Kaspersky, could capitalize on access provided by Kaspersky products to compromise federal information and information systems directly implicates U.S. national security.

The Department’s priority is to ensure the integrity and security of federal information systems. Safeguarding federal government systems requires reducing potential vulnerabilities, protecting against cyber intrusions, and anticipating future threats. While this action involves products of a Russian-owned and operated company, the Department will take appropriate action related to the products of any company that present a security risk based on DHS’s internal risk management and assessment process.

DHS is providing an opportunity for Kaspersky to submit a written response addressing the Department’s concerns or to mitigate those concerns. The Department wants to ensure that the company has a full opportunity to inform the Acting Secretary of any evidence, materials, or data that may be relevant. This opportunity is also available to any other entity that claims its commercial interests will be directly impacted by the directive. Further information about this process will be available in a Federal Register Notice.
14 replies
Jan 29, 2017
362 posts
142 upvotes
Not just DHS but Bestbuy (USA only?) dropped Kaspersky as well:
Electronics retailer Best Buy will no longer sell security software from Russian internet security company Kaspersky Lab after concerns that the company could be unduly influenced by the Russian government.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/9/16280 ... ersecurity

Meanwhile people don't blink an eye when +90% of hardware is Made In China...
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
1632 posts
121 upvotes
I was gonna buy it today and when I checked Bestbuy.ca it looks like its longer in their website!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
1783 posts
190 upvotes
Waterlooo
Who do you prefer to spy on you? Russians? China? Americans?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2574 posts
216 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
IDK but this can be interpreted in two ways: Russia doesn't like Kaspersky and uses influence over Trump to cut off their revenue, or Trump/Republicans don't like Russians and Kaspersky is a big target to go after.

Or McAfee and Symantec don't like Kaspersky for making them look bad.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21447 posts
2308 upvotes
Was banned by me long before this development. Would never install junk like that to crap up my machine(s).
Apr 8, 2010
417 posts
126 upvotes
toronto
i always liked Kaspersky. Figured the Russians were the ones behind most of the virus so it's like paying them protection money. :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
7748 posts
2207 upvotes
rilles wrote:
Sep 14th, 2017 1:41 pm
Who do you prefer to spy on you? Russians? China? Americans?
Slovakians
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.40). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
14626 posts
3945 upvotes
Ottawa
denti72 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 2:59 pm
i always liked Kaspersky. Figured the Russians were the ones behind most of the virus so it's like paying them protection money. :)
+1, if you can't beat them, join them.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7530 posts
775 upvotes
Markham
If you are a political person or running a large corporation, I know where they are coming from. But for a normal consumers like us, does it really matter?
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3421 posts
247 upvotes
why dont they ban all Huawei products in the United States?

99% sure most of the data on those devices are routed back to the central government in Beijing
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
14626 posts
3945 upvotes
Ottawa
Spies everywhere.
I heard from a reliable Federal government source that a building (headquarters for a large hightech company) were full of bugs when they were tearing the walls down.
It's protocol for government agencies to completely gut out a building that was previously occupied and now I know why.
Jan 29, 2017
362 posts
142 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 6:59 pm
Spies everywhere.
I heard from a reliable Federal government source that a building (headquarters for a large hightech company) were full of bugs when they were tearing the walls down.
It's protocol for government agencies to completely gut out a building that was previously occupied and now I know why.
Building in question is the new HQ for DND (high security required). Used to belong to Nortel.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/dnd ... ices-found
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3777 posts
453 upvotes
Aurora
Maybe Kaspersky should have originally named their product something like "G-Washington AV" to be less conspicuous. Anyway, I used to buy Kaspersky Internet Security but just use the free Windows default nowadays. I'll just let MS spy on me.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1768 posts
203 upvotes
In another world
denti72 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2017 2:59 pm
Kind of paying for a protection racket LOL