Automotive

Keep track of your Petro Points - mine stolen

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2022 11:56 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2008
1122 posts
1174 upvotes
Just noticed in an email promo that I was missing 25,000 points. Redeemed June 22 at a Petro-Canada on Bank St in Gloucester (Ottawa), which I *might* have filled up at in early March. I was home in Quebec that day. Feels like a clerk/inside job.

Now I'm getting a new account/card and they're redeeming the points, but their system is completely broken at this point.
Jul 25, 2008
331 posts
116 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Just had my 300k stolen for the 5th time now. Petro's method seems to be create a new account/card, add the points back after investigating. And the cycle repeats some weeks/months (even days) later. No 2FA option on the site, I literally created each account with a very long and random password, same with the security questions.

Is either an inside job of someone has root/loop hole access to the system. This really makes me question the safety of my information (financial, personal) in the hands of Petro and is why once I get my points back I'll probably redeem them and never use Petro again. It's getting really tiring having to check for my points to see if they are redeemed (fraudulently) and then go through the process of calling in/contacting support, explaining everything, being escalated and investigated, then having to update all linked cards (RBC/CAA/etc) with the new card number each time.

Does anyone else know who else uses the same "rewards" system backend as Petro so I can stop using them also? I understand it's a 3rd party company that "white-labels" the system for different entities such as Petro. I think PC Financial uses the same system..
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7090 upvotes
West GTEH!
Braunson wrote: Just had my 300k stolen for the 5th time now. Petro's method seems to be create a new account/card, add the points back after investigating. And the cycle repeats some weeks/months (even days) later. No 2FA option on the site, I literally created each account with a very long and random password, same with the security questions.

Is either an inside job of someone has root/loop hole access to the system. This really makes me question the safety of my information (financial, personal) in the hands of Petro and is why once I get my points back I'll probably redeem them and never use Petro again. It's getting really tiring having to check for my points to see if they are redeemed (fraudulently) and then go through the process of calling in/contacting support, explaining everything, being escalated and investigated, then having to update all linked cards (RBC/CAA/etc) with the new card number each time.

Does anyone else know who else uses the same "rewards" system backend as Petro so I can stop using them also? I understand it's a 3rd party company that "white-labels" the system for different entities such as Petro. I think PC Financial uses the same system..
It "may be" possible where you're using your Petro card.
My Account was fine until I used my Petro card at a Montreal Petro gas station ( whicjh I never gas up usually, but needed gas to get me back to Ontario). And that's when my Petro points went missing afterwards. Somehow that Montreal location skimmed my Petro card.
😎
Jul 25, 2008
331 posts
116 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Webhead wrote: It "may be" possible where you're using your Petro card.
My Account was fine until I used my Petro card at a Montreal Petro gas station ( whicjh I never gas up usually, but needed gas to get me back to Ontario). And that's when my Petro points went missing afterwards. Somehow that Montreal location skimmed my Petro card.
That's the thing, I am not using the Petro card at all anymore, directly. It's link to my bank CC and I use my bank cc to pay for it and it adds points to the card linked to my bank's cc, at the same location. The redemption is happening at locations that are 3-5+ hours away from me.
Jul 17, 2019
1 posts
I realise today i have 564000 petro-points stolen and it is the second time. The firs time, few months ago, more than 500000 of my petro-points were stolen. Petro-Canada changed my petro-card and accompt, refund my points. Now, I don't trust, I will use all my points before someone else take it all. The firs time, I know my points were spend in Ontario in a city where I've never been.
Mar 15, 2011
63 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
After filling up yesterday, and looking at my points balance, I realized yesterday that someone redeeemed 260000 of my points at 3 different locations in Calgary on the same day 2 weeks ago. I live in Toronto.

The same thing happened less than a year ago and I got my points back. The interesting thing is that since the first theft, I have only visited 1 Petro location and use the new supplementary card I was sent. I may have heard wrong, but when I called customer service, I thought the agent said the redemption was made using the primary card, which has sat safely unused.

I don't check my account very often, and only drive enough to require fill ups less than once a month, so as others in this thread have suggested, my vote is that this is an inside job. Sadly, it doesn't look like Petro thinks it's worth investigating. Will be redeeming all my points as soon as I receive my new card and points back, which I'm told I should.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
So why doesn't PetroCan issue an email or SMS the moment points are redeemed? When the cardholder calls in to report they are stolen, video and transaction documents can be checked while the trail is still fresh.
Mar 11, 2016
365 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
I just found out some prick swiped 100K+ PP from my account...from Brampton ON no less. I haven't been anywhere near there in years too and I am the only user on the account. Just got off the phone with Petro, and wasted 45 minutes to get my points back. What a joke! :facepalm:
RFD4LF. 😎
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
7220 posts
5993 upvotes
After having my points stolen twice this year, I have formulated a theory - either Petro Canada's got a major security issue or it's an inside job. Either way, Petro Canada seem to feel it's cheaper to reinstate the points than to resolve the issue.

What annoys me most is they make you feel like a criminal/scammer when you call in to report the theft of points and make you wait 10 days while they conduct their "investigation".
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7090 upvotes
West GTEH!
After having my 110K PP stolen once before, and reinstated, I've slowly used up my balance. Currently my balance is 2K.
As I suggested before, people should redeem some of their PP.
But, to each their own for what they intend to use their PP for.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
My 40k balance got stolen, I’m now in this boat too.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2004
12143 posts
2762 upvotes
Guelph
vaportech wrote: My 40k balance got stolen, I’m now in this boat too.
Where was it redeemed? Sorry you are part of this club now :(
HEATWARE AT 64-0-0. Ebay Feedback 200+ and counting. RFD Feedback 71-0-0 and counting. Koodo Member
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
squall458 wrote: Where was it redeemed? Sorry you are part of this club now :(
Pickering area $49 in fuel, they filled supreme.

Not me definitely as my car is diesel.

Edit: got my points back, quick call to petro Canada and they fixed it, new card in the mail.

It was used at 1299 Kingston Rd Petro Canada.
Oct 19, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
Just happened to us.
30K points stolen in Quebec. We live in Eastern Ontario, at least five hours from Quebec at least.

My husband is a service tech and gases up a lot. We themn accumulate the points to redeem for giftcards at Christmas.

He's on the phone with customer service now. Whoever this person is just stole money from my nieces and nephews. Hope Karma gets them
Nov 20, 2015
385 posts
126 upvotes
Calgary, AB
They got me this afternoon... I had 33,000 points and they somehow managed to buy 3 car washes for 30,000 points and then they used 33,000 to redeem for gas so my account was hugely negative. CSR created a new account and gave my points back.

For what it is worth, I have never used the physical card. I only have the Petro card linked to my 2 RBC Mastercards and my online account was secured with a 16 character super strong password.

I found out something was up when I got an email thanking me for redeeming the points for the car washes and they redeemed points for gas in Quebec (I'm in AB) while I was on the phone with the CSR.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON
80k points stolen a month or so ago. Called a CSR, got my points back in about 5mins. They made $80 worth of purchases in store, I hope they enjoyed those slimjims!
Feb 16, 2014
845 posts
797 upvotes
30K points recently stolen in Brampton. I don't live anywhere near there. It has to be an inside job.
I rarely use Petro Canada and coincidently the last time I went to Petro Canada to gas up (needle was at E), the points went missing a few days later.

CS is giving me the stolen points back but it took forever to process.
CS could barely speak English and kept getting my old card number and email address wrong.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
themank wrote: They got me this afternoon... I had 33,000 points and they somehow managed to buy 3 car washes for 30,000 points and then they used 33,000 to redeem for gas so my account was hugely negative. CSR created a new account and gave my points back.

For what it is worth, I have never used the physical card. I only have the Petro card linked to my 2 RBC Mastercards and my online account was secured with a 16 character super strong password.

I found out something was up when I got an email thanking me for redeeming the points for the car washes and they redeemed points for gas in Quebec (I'm in AB) while I was on the phone with the CSR.
I strongly believe the crooks generate random account numbers and try their luck until they hit an account with decent balance then they hit it.

It’s just too easy to do with these programs where there is nothing required for redemption other than an account number.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1622 posts
1206 upvotes
Ripley
Just checked my account. 98,000 used in Quebec on Oct 7 2019. We live in Southwestern Ontario. I haven't called in yet. Curious though if this is a bigger concern since our bank cards and credit card are linked to our Petro Point account?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON
zeddy wrote: Just checked my account. 98,000 used in Quebec on Oct 7 2019. We live in Southwestern Ontario. I haven't called in yet. Curious though if this is a bigger concern since our bank cards and credit card are linked to our Petro Point account?
Don't think you need to worry about your bank cards.