Cell Phones

Keeping Gift Card after Returning Phone?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 3:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1673 posts
838 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver

Keeping Gift Card after Returning Phone?

I need someone to confirm at other Walmart locations as it just baffles me why they do this. Apparently you can sign up for a phone with a gift card promo and return the phone and contract but you get to keep the gift card. I'm not sure if the rep was misinformed so I want to see if other locations have this policy. The two said it was new policy that started Dec 1 after some CRTC ruling. I think they misread some policy cause what's stopping someone from activating 3+ phones with gift cards and returning them all. AFAIK, This is for Walmarts in BC. Not sure if other retailers are doing the same.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
14 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12545 posts
4060 upvotes
Oakville
The new CRTC policy has nothing to do with gift cards received as promotional gifts when signing up for a new policy. The biggest change was the removal of unlock fees. But you can see all the changes here: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/change.htm
Public Mobile
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1673 posts
838 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Yah I know that but my friend was able to keep her gift card of $200 after she returned the phone to Walmart.
Current Fido customer.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12545 posts
4060 upvotes
Oakville
bomber17 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:35 am
Yah I know that but my friend was able to keep her gift card of $200 after she returned the phone to Walmart.
Good for her. Nothing to do with the CRTC though. Sounds like some Walmart employees not knowing wtf they were doing, IMO, and your friend lucked out.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3461 posts
416 upvotes
I would have to agree someone made a mistake there on not taking the gift card back... as it states right in the contract u sign if you bring the phone back you have to return the gift card as well...
As I just picked up a phone from walmart a few weeks ago and I read that contract a few times to see if there was any fine print or any tricks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1673 posts
838 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I know it's not CRTC, that was just the excuse the rep used. This is also not a contract issue too. This is strictly Walmart's own return policy I believe cause I went to Best buy and they never heard of it. So Walmart probably misinterpreted or something. I'm tempted to do it but I still consider it fraud or at least immoral to deliberately return the phone just to get the gift card.
Current Fido customer.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3461 posts
416 upvotes
bomber17 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:50 pm
I know it's not CRTC, that was just the excuse the rep used. This is also not a contract issue too. This is strictly Walmart's own return policy I believe cause I went to Best buy and they never heard of it. So Walmart probably misinterpreted or something. I'm tempted to do it but I still consider it fraud or at least immoral to deliberately return the phone just to get the gift card.
Read the contract as it states right in there... that you have to return the gift card if you return the phone
As I said someone made a mistake somewhere
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1673 posts
838 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Well up to you if you believe it or not. Asked around the Walmarts around BC. You can keep the gift card after returning the phone LOL. It's a Walmart's system thing. However, the reps feel this is stupid and probably won't mention this to customers. But if you got a phone and you were thinking of cancelling, do it soon and keep the gift card, and just get it again if you want extra gift cards. I'm pretty sure my account is flagged or something as I let out a lot of wireless tips and tricks, so they may do something. if they ask how you know, don't quote back to here. The reps told me they were going to change something in Q1 2018.
Current Fido customer.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12147 posts
1935 upvotes
London
With some of the Koodo deals, if you don't return the gift cards, it shows up on your final bill (i.e. they take it from your credit card)
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12545 posts
4060 upvotes
Oakville
l69norm wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:45 am
With some of the Koodo deals, if you don't return the gift cards, it shows up on your final bill (i.e. they take it from your credit card)
That's different though - that's where you cancel the Koodo plan but keep the phone.
Public Mobile
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8306 posts
2451 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bomber17 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:21 am
Well up to you if you believe it or not. Asked around the Walmarts around BC. You can keep the gift card after returning the phone LOL. It's a Walmart's system thing. However, the reps feel this is stupid and probably won't mention this to customers. But if you got a phone and you were thinking of cancelling, do it soon and keep the gift card, and just get it again if you want extra gift cards. I'm pretty sure my account is flagged or something as I let out a lot of wireless tips and tricks, so they may do something. if they ask how you know, don't quote back to here. The reps told me they were going to change something in Q1 2018.
You're lying. I worked at Walmart and it'd impossible to return a postpaid phone without the gift card. If the gift card was either used up or partially used the customer would be charged for it.

Nice try trying to get info on trying to pull a scam.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1673 posts
838 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
EP32k2 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 11:01 am
You're lying. I worked at Walmart and it'd impossible to return a postpaid phone without the gift card. If the gift card was either used up or partially used the customer would be charged for it.

Nice try trying to get info on trying to pull a scam.
How long ago was that? Lol and the wireless department is not operated by Walmart anymore. You should tell them to change their policy asap cause they are going to lose a lot of money.

The rep just showed me the new policy. It's hilarious cause I think the company misunderstood the CRTC ruling. It clearly says "customer completely cancels their contract (buyers remorse (BR) or dead on arrival (DOA)). Customer keeps gift card. " Wish I can post it, but I don't want my source to be in trouble.
Current Fido customer.
Penalty Box
Jan 15, 2006
8306 posts
2451 upvotes
Richmond Hill
bomber17 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:26 pm
How long ago was that? Lol and the wireless department is not operated by Walmart anymore. You should tell them to change their policy asap cause they are going to lose a lot of money.

The rep just showed me the new policy. It's hilarious cause I think the company misunderstood the CRTC ruling. It clearly says "customer completely cancels their contract (buyers remorse (BR) or dead on arrival (DOA)). Customer keeps gift card. " Wish I can post it, but I don't want my source to be in trouble.
It is not run by Walmart but Walmart still needs to do the override which the CSMs do. Again you are not telling the truth as its simply not possible.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9256 posts
861 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:45 am
No. That is not true.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1673 posts
838 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
EP32k2 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:07 pm
It is not run by Walmart but Walmart still needs to do the override which the CSMs do. Again you are not telling the truth as its simply not possible.
They don't need to do the override on gift cards if they're not returning the gift cards. If you want the truth, go ask them for the policy notice email.
Current Fido customer.