Food & Drink

Keeping in mind that I live in the prairies, not the coast, is this a good deal for a Seafood pack?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2017 3:15 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 8, 2003
53 posts
5 upvotes
Off the Grid

Keeping in mind that I live in the prairies, not the coast, is this a good deal for a Seafood pack?

This showed up today inside one of those Valpak coupon envelopes.

They claim it's half price, is it really a good deal or will I get similar or better prices at the grocery store?
Images
  • upload.png
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
That's pretty bad IMO.

Seafood cakes = made of anything so it's hard to judge a price. They're probably made from cheap fish and filler.
Tilapia = Cheap. Also LOL at "Natural". What else would it be? Artificial?
Rock Crab = Cheaper form of crab. It's expensive but not nearly as bad as a better crab. This is where the money is, but it's not really that much money.
Scallops = East Coast? That doesn't tell me anything. Neither does "pcs" because I could easily give you 100 count scallops.
Shrimp = At least there's (almost) a pound of shrimp here. But without seeing what sizes they are, it's hard to give an accurate price.
Ribs = I make ribs for $2/lb out of pork butts.
Salmon = Portion doesn't tell me anything. Technically 3oz is a portion.

There's nothing on that list that screams $56 to me.
You could easily put together a better value pack (even in the prairies assuming you have a major grocery store near by.
I'm also assuming it's frozen which means that comparable products in a grocery store would be easier to find.
It'd make a difference if it was fresh (and not previously frozen)

You'd also have to have 100% utilization of everything in that pack otherwise you'd just be using it because you have it instead of using it because you want to.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Nov 27, 2003
269 posts
9 upvotes
London
The fact they can't even spell tilapia should also be a clue - why don't you google tilapia and see what information you get!
Stand and Deliver! I have two pistols here... I know one of them isn't loaded anymore, but the other one is, so that's one of you dead for sure... well just about for sure........
Dec 8, 2003
53 posts
5 upvotes
Off the Grid
I am already familiar with Tilapia aka The rat of the sea.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
My take,

18 oz/510g fish cake e.g., PC is worth about $10 regular price
16 oz/1 lb tilapia is worth about $3, and is always on sale
16 oz/1 lb rock crab...hard to find unless you have an Asian grocer, but probably an affordable $10
400g shrimp could go for $6-10
frozen salmon portion worth $1.50
say the scallops are 1 lb/454g bay scallops...worth $10

So without the ribs, that list should be easily found for about $40-$45

You're only getting about 4-5 lbs seafood product...I would buy instead:

400g Seaquest (PC brand) Cod or Haddock when it goes on sale for $4.99
454g Highliner Wild Pacific Salmon when it goes on for $5.99
454g nice big scallops will be about $20 regularly, so just watch for a sale around $15
My experience with rock crab is that you have to pick over the meat (cartilage) so I would skip that
340g nice big shrimp at $8-10

...and if you are into breaded seafoods or just want value seafood I would really check out your Giant Tiger. E.g., they often have 255g Aquastar breaded scallops for $5, smoked sockeye salmon 85g for $2, GO shell-on shrimp 340g for $5, and other value seafood. (Actually the smoked sockeye is a bit salty, smoky and tough...I prefer the DOM Atlantic smoked salmon 85g that also goes on for $2 but at No Frills, because it is sweeter and more tender.) Giant Tiger has fish cakes whereas a lot of the mainstream grocers do not.
Dec 8, 2003
53 posts
5 upvotes
Off the Grid
Wow, very informative, thank you.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
SirDufus wrote: Wow, very informative, thank you.
Thanks for the puzzle!

I would really check out the Seaquest, because each fillet is individually wrapped and 400g cod/haddock goes as low as $3.99. Because it is a PC brand you will get 1,00 pts /$5 offers on it and the DOM smoked salmon triggered 1,000 pts per $5 frozen seafood as well.

The lesser tropical (basa, tilapia) and cold water (sole, pollock) can go as low as $1.99/lb for name brands. These are all thin fillets compared to the cod/haddock. Cod has big thick flakes perfect for chowder or people who complain that fish isn't meat-like enough, and in my imagination it is sweeter than haddock. Haddock is a bit more delicate, slightly softer and thinner flakes, but pretty darned similar. For cheap whitefish, I like the coldwater sole/pollock again because I imagine it is a bit sweeter and there tends to be a lower chance of off flavours (pond).