May 29, 2005
538 posts
73 upvotes
Nepean

Kenmore glass stove top replacement

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knew where to source parts for this stove:
http://www.sears.ca/product/kenmore-30- ... /223660262

I've called sears and it'll e $280 for the part.

The glass of the burner cracked.

Also, do you think it's safe to use the other elements?

Thanks.
15 replies
Jan 5, 2006
556 posts
14 upvotes
Whitby
Are you still under the warranty period??

I wouldn't use the other elements as the stove top is probably weaker now and you risk the same thing happening..

I'm curious, did this crack due to the heat (left on for a long time), or did you drop something on it??
[OP]
May 29, 2005
538 posts
73 upvotes
Nepean
Bought early Sept last year, so two months past warranty. I am trying to get my credit card to replace it through it's warranty. I might try and pester Sears since it's so close tot he 1 year mark.

And I was told that it was cooking then it cracked.

I will never buy a glass top again!!
Nov 5, 2003
112 posts
jamzbe wrote:
Oct 30th, 2009 6:23 pm
Bought early Sept last year, so two months past warranty. I am trying to get my credit card to replace it through it's warranty. I might try and pester Sears since it's so close tot he 1 year mark.

And I was told that it was cooking then it cracked.

I will never buy a glass top again!!
This should NOT have happened. Ours have received a good bit of abuse over 10 years and no problems.
Jan 5, 2006
556 posts
14 upvotes
Whitby
Agreed that it should of not happened. I bought mine at the beginning of June 2000 and it's still fine..

Go back to sears and demand a new part
[OP]
May 29, 2005
538 posts
73 upvotes
Nepean
I called Sears and I had to elevate it beyond the front line CSR. They then said that they would send someone to evaluate the damage. It's better than nothing.

In the meantime I'm going to send my claims in for my credit card. One of them should fix the thing.
[OP]
May 29, 2005
538 posts
73 upvotes
Nepean
update:

Sears lied or messed up, they would never cover anything out of warranty even if it's one day. I gave them a piece of my mind over the mix up and the delay it caused me to get a replacement.

The credit card company said that they don't cover anything glass on the stove...in the email they claimed that I had misused the stove despite never seeing it. This after I told them what the problem was before even sending in the claim.

So, that means, that brand new stove is out of here. I'm going to buy a used coil stove for now.

I'll say it again...I'll never buy a glass top. Rant over, thanks for listening.

Jam.z

Oh yeah, the replacement would be $300...but only a 90 day warranty.
Jan 5, 2006
556 posts
14 upvotes
Whitby
jamzbe wrote:
Nov 12th, 2009 9:23 pm
update:

Sears lied or messed up, they would never cover anything out of warranty even if it's one day. I gave them a piece of my mind over the mix up and the delay it caused me to get a replacement.

The credit card company said that they don't cover anything glass on the stove...in the email they claimed that I had misused the stove despite never seeing it. This after I told them what the problem was before even sending in the claim.

So, that means, that brand new stove is out of here. I'm going to buy a used coil stove for now.

I'll say it again...I'll never buy a glass top. Rant over, thanks for listening.

Jam.z

Oh yeah, the replacement would be $300...but only a 90 day warranty.
I would seriously challenge your credit card company.. Does your warranty contract specifically say that it doesn't cover glass on a stovetop? Find your booklet that came with the card and read further into it..

Best of luck!
[OP]
May 29, 2005
538 posts
73 upvotes
Nepean
I called the credit card company and they said that they would at least look at it and asked for some pictures. As expected I got rejected. I think they were just playing along with me.

Here are the pictures:

http://img691.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc01752small.jpg

Recommendations welcome.

Here's the response from the insurance company:

"I have reviewed the photos. The cracks are not in the same place and they
don't look like they have been caused by a thermal shock.

If you do not agree that they are a result of damage, please contact the
manufacture and obtain a written confirmation from them stating they would
have covered the issue under their warranty.

Please send us their reply for review.

As per our experience, they do not cover such problems, but we will be happy
to review your claim once we receive their confirmation."
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
1746 posts
513 upvotes
Barrie
Call the company that made this for Kenmore and have them assess it.
[OP]
May 29, 2005
538 posts
73 upvotes
Nepean
so I talked to Kenmore online here's the response.

Basically you can't put anything hot onto a cold stove top. What kind of stupid stove is that?

-----------------
Tiffany W: I really apologize that this has happened. How did this happen?

You: I took something hot from the oven and placed it onto the stove top

Tiffany W: I really apologize that would not be covered even under a warranty.

You: why not?

You: this is something that people do all the time

Tiffany W: I apologize we don't cover any thing breakage done by customer. Even by accident.

You: the warranty document I have said that it would cover would be if the glass broke due to thermal shock

You: you mean I cannot put something hot onto the stove top?

Tiffany W: I apologize not if the stove is cold.. The only thing you can try is to speak to service and repair and see if that department can do any thing for you on this issue.

--------------------
Update:

I called Frigidaire and they also said that you can't put something hot onto a cold stove top.

Man, I see no reason for anybody to buy one of these things.
[OP]
May 29, 2005
538 posts
73 upvotes
Nepean
OK, not much of an update, but I admit defeat.

I ended up selling that stove for $100. I was actually amazed that I got three calls for it within a week. I wasn't expecting anything - maybe I should have asked for more. I ended up buying a 7 year old coil stove with slightly more features for $100 delivered. I guess I ended up paying $600 for a 7 year old stove.

Funny thing, I ended up buying it from the current owners of Tom Cruise's old house in Gloucester. They were nice enough to deliver the stove and bring it in for a very reasonable price.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5462 posts
178 upvotes
BC
After reading this I'm glad I went with coil. Actually paid the same price for mine, Kenmore, self cleaning, convection, hidden bake element. A lot more features but coil top.

Think I did good :)

Oh, but sorry about what happened with yours, not good after so little time. I only went with Kenmore because that is what my previous was and it was like 100 years old and still worked good!
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4109 posts
149 upvotes
Wierd....my parents had a glass top slide in for oh, about 14 years. We used to put hot things onto it all the time. I woulda never thought that you're not supposed to. Apart from a few scratches, that surface never cracked once.

I just got a Kitchen Aid glasstip range delivered on Saturday (well, they delivered the wrong colour and have to exchange it for the right one this week, huffff....) and I've been using it cautiously ever since. It just *feels* a lot more delicate than the one I used growing up at my parents place. I will take a look at the manual and see if it says anything about hot items on a cold stove.
× < >