Food & Drink

Keurig developing in-home alcohol drink system (formerly home soda machine from Keurig/Coca Cola)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2017 8:47 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2008
1819 posts
1393 upvotes
Toronto
Hehe. I guess sodastream will remain strong. This Keuring soda machine is way too expensive.
Penalty Box
Dec 9, 2008
1083 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
Why does someone even need a soda fountain in their house anyway? Sounds like a good way to get diabetes.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7133 posts
3736 upvotes
Montreal
rjones416 wrote: Why does someone even need a soda fountain in their house anyway? Sounds like a good way to get diabetes.
Personally, I like having people over. Parties, dinners, BBQs, etc. My Sodastream is great for making 500 mL bottles of mixers like ginger ale or tonic water. Much easier to make them on the fly then to buy a 2 L bottle that might get opened for one drink and then go flat before the next time I have people over.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
$300 + tax just for the machine, then a dollar a glass? That's insane! The article also fails to mention how much hydro it will use up. (For those who do not have electricity included in their rent or living arrangements...)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
psyko514 wrote: Personally, I like having people over. Parties, dinners, BBQs, etc. My Sodastream is great for making 500 mL bottles of mixers like ginger ale or tonic water. Much easier to make them on the fly then to buy a 2 L bottle that might get opened for one drink and then go flat before the next time I have people over.
It's also a lot easier to carry a bunch of soda stream bottles home from the grocery store (or Wal-mart) than it is to carry a bunch of 2 Litre bottles...
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1148 posts
492 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: Personally, I like having people over. Parties, dinners, BBQs, etc. My Sodastream is great for making 500 mL bottles of mixers like ginger ale or tonic water. Much easier to make them on the fly then to buy a 2 L bottle that might get opened for one drink and then go flat before the next time I have people over.
I just buy cans
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: WTF? $300 + $1.25 per 8 oz? So $0.16/oz

A can of coke is 12 oz. A 12 pack is $4 or $0.03/oz

Whoever thought of this should be locked up in an asylum. Whoever was in the boardroom when they pitched the idea should get their heads checked out. Whoever buys this needs to get in line behind them at the shrink's office.

They claim people will buy this for variety? They sell it as being 'a premium'? If they sell more than 20 of these I will have lost the little faith I have left in humanity.
I completely agree with you. But you never know with these pricey gimmicky things. Granted most fail far more than succeed, but if this catches on like CG jackets, Japanese Cheesecakes, or food trucks, then those execs look like geniuses... or they looks like complete morons like those chumps who are still trying to revive Clearly Canadian. That preorder/crowdfund has been going on for nearly 2 years now.

playnicee1 wrote: It's also a lot easier to carry a bunch of soda stream bottles home from the grocery store (or Wal-mart) than it is to carry a bunch of 2 Litre bottles...
Is this seriously a problem? And if it was, then you probably shouldn't be drinking from this machine.

[IMG]http://images.cwimedical.com/foldingchair.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
rjones416 wrote: Why does someone even need a soda fountain in their house anyway? Sounds like a good way to get diabetes.
I use mine all the time, but I don't use syrups. I just love carbonated water.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote: Is this seriously a problem? And if it was, then you probably shouldn't be drinking from this machine.

[IMG]http://images.cwimedical.com/foldingchair.jpg[/IMG]
No, because there is now an elevator @ Dufferin subway station. In the past it was almost impossible to get the cart (full) down the stairs into the subway.

Still, bottles of sodastream are a lot lighter and easier to carry. (than regular 2 Litre bottles or cases of pop)
Frees up more space for more things to stuff into the cart.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
LOL at the price.
If you're going to be that hardcore into soda you may as well buy a soda gun or soda machine.
Used it's going to be about this price. Even new you're going to break even in like 500 glasses.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: $300 + tax just for the machine, then a dollar a glass? That's insane! The article also fails to mention how much hydro it will use up. (For those who do not have electricity included in their rent or living arrangements...)
It's too bad that it's so expensive. I think Sodastream is too expensive so this machine is crazy.

Soda is always on sale somewhere - very ill conceived concept from Keurig. I LOVE my amazing Keurig coffee machine so I am surprised the company made this.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7133 posts
3736 upvotes
Montreal
death_hawk wrote: LOL at the price.
If you're going to be that hardcore into soda you may as well buy a soda gun or soda machine.
Used it's going to be about this price. Even new you're going to break even in like 500 glasses.
You'll never break even. An 8 oz glass of Coke will cost 4-5x more than a 12 oz can and that doesn't even factor in the cost of the machine.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 14, 2007
5038 posts
1459 upvotes
Regina
bahaha, I have had my sodastream before they were main'stream' - 10 years and running, unless they adjust the price point this will be an epic fail
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: You'll never break even. An 8 oz glass of Coke will cost 4-5x more than a 12 oz can and that doesn't even factor in the cost of the machine.
I mean relative to a commercial soda machine/gun/fountain.
You'll never break even with this thing.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: I mean relative to a commercial soda machine/gun/fountain.
You'll never break even with this thing.
...another fine thing for the rich to say "Look what I got..."
I'm sure they'll enjoy it as a fine conversation piece while offering it up with some rum or something... (added separately)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: ...another fine thing for the rich to say "Look what I got..."
Rich?
I bought a compressor based 6 head with carbonator, rack, 6 pumps for $250.
Similarly I've purchased an 8 button Wunderbar with cold plate for $100. A carbonator right behind it for another $100. Pumps were $25/per so I bought 8.

Both options (well except the gun with all 8 pumps) are around the price of this stupid thing.
The difference is that I get a commercial quality unit compared to residential quality garbage.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21708 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: Rich?
I bought a compressor based 6 head with carbonator, rack, 6 pumps for $250.
Similarly I've purchased an 8 button Wunderbar with cold plate for $100. A carbonator right behind it for another $100. Pumps were $25/per so I bought 8.

Both options (well except the gun with all 8 pumps) are around the price of this stupid thing.
The difference is that I get a commercial quality unit compared to residential quality garbage.
Oh but it looks sooo cute!! Takes up a lot less space, etc...

[IMG]http://del.h-cdn.co/assets/15/25/980x49 ... kold-4.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
death_hawk wrote: Depends on how you look at it. Convenience? Sure. Taste? Get out.
lol. you know nothing about it. How do you think places like Mcdonalds, Taco Bell, Burger king, 7/11 operate. They buy concentrated cola products which comes in 5-10L plastic containers then it is hooked to carbonizer, you adjust the mixture to taste and off it goes.

I certainly would welcome this if the machine+ cola servings will equal to better pricing. But I doubt they can beat $2 per 2L bottles so I am not sure I'll be buying it. The cost of coffee serving from Kreug machines already equals to what some restaurants would charge. It's convenient,but far from cheap. I have a feeling it will be similar with about .50c per 300ml serving.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)