Food & Drink

Keurig developing in-home alcohol drink system (formerly home soda machine from Keurig/Coca Cola)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2017 8:47 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
17433 posts
12780 upvotes
Toronto

Keurig developing in-home alcohol drink system (formerly home soda machine from Keurig/Coca Cola)

Freestyle at home
http://www.forbes.com/sites/samanthasha ... in-coffee/

*edit/update Jan 11/2017*

So the soda machine went bust but they'll try to use some of the tech and parlay it into an alcohol system

http://news.keuriggreenmountain.com/pre ... nt-venture
Last edited by jenviea on Feb 6th, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
69 replies
Aug 21, 2011
854 posts
232 upvotes
If the price is right, it will be the end of sodastream.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Huge competition for Sodastream.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: dang...sodastream better partner up with Pepsi to fight this out!
Sure... assuming Pepsi is ok.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2007
1398 posts
181 upvotes
Western Montreal
Well this should be interesting.... Look at what Keurig/GMCR has done to the coffee market...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
tiggrrrrr75 wrote: Well this should be interesting.... Look at what Keurig/GMCR has done to the coffee market...
Depends on how you look at it. Convenience? Sure. Taste? Get out.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: dang...sodastream better partner up with Pepsi to fight this out!
There was talk back in late June of Pepsi buying Sodastream.

If that's the best idea, why didn't Coke simply buy Sodastream?
I'm strictly guessing they tried, but were told the company is not for sale...as a result, Coke went elsewhere. (again, strictly a guess...)
Jul 24, 2012
394 posts
50 upvotes
I think that Sodastream pretty much tastes like Pepsi compared to Coke anyway, so it makes sense.
Mar 16, 2005
467 posts
52 upvotes
Hamilton
Maybe they will bring out the ability to make 100's of flavours if they use the same syrup that they use in the freestyle machines.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3803 posts
635 upvotes
Leuven
I wonder how they plan to keep sodastream users from just getting the coke syrup and using it with their machines. I have a homemade carbonator and would love the ability to get real coke syrups.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
You can buy real syrup from Sams Club in US
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
You can buy real syrup from the distributors here. Just say you're from a small store in the middle of nowhere.
It's cheaper in the US but you can still get it here.

Note: You have to drink A LOT of soda. Even the little BIBs are huge relatively speaking.
You might be able to strike a deal with a local restaurant or something. Ask them to give you 1/4 of a used BIB so you don't have to deal with 20L of syrup.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: You can buy real syrup from the distributors here. Just say you're from a small store in the middle of nowhere.
It's cheaper in the US but you can still get it here.

Note: You have to drink A LOT of soda. Even the little BIBs are huge relatively speaking.
You might be able to strike a deal with a local restaurant or something. Ask them to give you 1/4 of a used BIB so you don't have to deal with 20L of syrup.
20L of syrup STILL sounds like a great idea for large parties or gatherings...depending on the crowd-some may prefer beer or wine.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2001
1440 posts
327 upvotes
This sounds interesting with two caveats:

1) Will the final product be cheaper than the pre-mixed product in stores? I can occasionally get cans for 21¢ apiece ($4.99/24), so it needs to be less than 58.5¢/litre for the finished product.

2) Will I be able to control the syrup/water ratio? The best Coke I ever had was at a McDonald's in Atlanta. I believe they had a slightly higher syrup ratio than I was used to (though, being in Atlanta, maybe it was just product freshness?) but it was absolutely fantastic. I'd like to be able to adjust and experiment myself to see if I can recreate this.
Let them know that it is I, Aziz Hamid!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
I won't be buying one. I love Coke - always have, especially in the small glass bottles that we had in the 50s. I do not drink coffee, tea, hot chocolate etc. and Pepsi tastes horrible to me (I never went without Coke during the debacle in the 1980s - I stocked up at the Coke bottling plant). I have one a day - the small cans or small bottles if the bottles are on sale. Has to be regular Coke though since I can't use artificial sweeteners. But I do miss the taste of Coke made with sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. I do buy the Coke made in Mexico occasionally due to this. I don't like fountain coke - and I do not like ice added.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3803 posts
635 upvotes
Leuven
Fanboy wrote: This sounds interesting with two caveats:

1) Will the final product be cheaper than the pre-mixed product in stores? I can occasionally get cans for 21¢ apiece ($4.99/24), so it needs to be less than 58.5¢/litre for the finished product.

2) Will I be able to control the syrup/water ratio? The best Coke I ever had was at a McDonald's in Atlanta. I believe they had a slightly higher syrup ratio than I was used to (though, being in Atlanta, maybe it was just product freshness?) but it was absolutely fantastic. I'd like to be able to adjust and experiment myself to see if I can recreate this.
The price point is a good point. Even looking at the 2.5 gallons of coke syrup from sams club in the states (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/coke-class ... rod7680002) its not really cost effective.

2.5 gallons makes 15 gallons of coke.
15 gallons of coke is ~160 cans of coke
54.98/160 = 33.4 cents per can. Price before tax even.

If thats the price from sams club for a large box of syrup, you have to imagine anything they do with keurig will be quite a bit more expensive.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
BongoBong wrote: its not really cost effective.
Full disclosure: My pricing is a few years old and I had a fairly large account.
I'm not sure what pricing is now, but I used to get 5 gallon BIBs for $60-70ish. Iced Tea was I think $10 more.
Obviously you won't get this as a walk in rate, but if you're friends with a restaurant that does some volume they may be able to get some better pricing.

But yeah, buying at retail (when it releases) vs buying cans on sale you're gonna win with cans on sale. The only upside is that you don't have cans to deal with both before and after.
I've experienced the opposite side of the coin too where I could go to Walmart and buy a 2L for cheaper than what Coke was selling them to me for.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
WTF? $300 + $1.25 per 8 oz? So $0.16/oz

A can of coke is 12 oz. A 12 pack is $4 or $0.03/oz

Whoever thought of this should be locked up in an asylum. Whoever was in the boardroom when they pitched the idea should get their heads checked out. Whoever buys this needs to get in line behind them at the shrink's office.

They claim people will buy this for variety? They sell it as being 'a premium'? If they sell more than 20 of these I will have lost the little faith I have left in humanity.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)