Off Topic

Kevin O'Leary involved in fatal boat crash. 2 dead. 1 man. 1 woman died from brain injuries.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2019 6:33 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12127 posts
1809 upvotes
Pacific Ocean

Kevin O'Leary involved in fatal boat crash. 2 dead. 1 man. 1 woman died from brain injuries.

From TMZ. https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/27/kevin-ol ... /#comments

KEVIN O'LEARY
ADMITS INVOLVEMENT IN FATAL BOAT CRASH

Kevin O'Leary's boat was involved in a crash in Ontario, Canada that left one man dead, and a woman critically injured ... TMZ has learned.

The accident happened on Lake Joseph late Saturday, around 11:30 PM when a smaller boat -- owned by O'Leary -- rammed into a larger boat ... going directly over its bow and striking a male passenger in the head, killing him instantly.

A source connected to the owner of the larger boat tells TMZ ... they told police after impact there was enough light to ID the people on O'Leary's boat -- and the owner said it was O'Leary and his wife. We cannot confirm it was Kevin and his wife.

However, we've spoken to Kevin about the accident and he said he was following police protocol and would not comment. As for what the protocol is ... we're told cops will not release any names involved in the accident unless criminal charges are filed.

We're told O'Leary's boat immediately left the scene of the accident -- but it was towed to the marina on Monday by a salvage boat with police onboard ... who've seized it for forensic testing.

Multiple sources tell us a critical element of this investigation is whether the larger boat had its lights on ... so people on O'Leary's boat could see it at the time of impact.

Kevin appears to have at least 2 boats on the lake. While it's unclear which was in the the wreck, a witness described it as a wakeboarding boat. Kevin's posted a pic of his "BatBoat" and bragged about using it for "surfing" on the lake.

Our source says there were a total of 8 people on the larger craft. The fatality is reportedly a 64-year-old man from Florida ... while the injured woman is a 48-year-old Canadian citizen. She is reportedly on a ventilator with significant brain damage.

Cops haven't said if alcohol was involved.

Kevin and his wife have a lake house in the area, and they've posted several photos from the home, and on the lake.

He wrote of the property on Instagram, "I call this the “Wedge” it’s a natural phenomenon of nature located where our lake house home is situated! Just beautiful!"

Originally Published -- 5:52 PM PT
Last edited by aznnorth on Aug 28th, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
414 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12127 posts
1809 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
HIS side of the story... *welp* Of course he releases statements to TMZ to get on the PR. SMH. I dont find his story plausible.

8:10 PM PT -- O'Leary tells TMZ, "Late Saturday night I was a passenger in a boat that had a tragic collision with another craft that had no navigation lights on and then fled the scene of the accident. I am fully cooperating with authorities."
He goes on ... "Out of respect for the families who have lost loved ones and to fully support the ongoing investigation, I feel it is inappropriate to make further comments at this time. My thoughts are with all the families affected."
A rep for O'Leary tells TMZ Kevin's wife was driving the boat at the time of the crash, and she was administered a DUI test that night and passed. He also says a third person was in Kevin's boat and was injured -- she went to the hospital, received stitches and left.
O'Leary's rep wanted to clarify ... it was the other boat that fled the scene. As we reported below, a source connected to the owner of that other boat said it was Kevin's boat that fled.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17761 posts
1764 upvotes
Space for rent
I bet alcohol was involved. He’s probably throwing his wife or wife or the other party under the bus to avoid being sued into the poor house. Rest assured that person will be very rich when they get out of prison if that.

Our boating having s good time alcohol is definitely involved.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11720 posts
2703 upvotes
Montréal
I'm trying VERY hard to bite my tongue. O'Leary (aka vulture man) is definitely my least fave character on those shows. Pragmatic, sure, personality-wise? *Bites tongue*

Hard to imagine the boat w the victims (esp a fatal and a near-fatal one) fleeing the scene. Man, what stuff is he smoking cuz I may wanna take some puffs.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
11515 posts
11789 upvotes
It's very doubtful someone of O'Leary's clout would recklessly flee the scene of an accident.

More information is required before passing judgement.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11481 posts
458 upvotes
It’s kind of interesting to watch a conflict where both parties are so used to trying to concoct likely stories on a regular basis in their personal and business lives, which is likely to be applicable to anyone with a cottage on Lake Joseph.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14269 posts
3599 upvotes
London
tranquility922 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2019 3:42 am
Hard to imagine the boat w the victims (esp a fatal and a near-fatal one) fleeing the scene. ...
if there were severe injuries, likely they would be racing back to the dock to get help and meet the ambulance/ paramedics or the fire department. It's not like that the emergency services can easily get out to the accident scene
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11481 posts
458 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Aug 28th, 2019 4:10 am
It's very doubtful someone of O'Leary's clout would recklessly flee the scene of an accident.
With a serious accident with obvious injuries, would you really sit there in the middle of a lake near midnight waiting for your boat to sink or the injured to die or would you try and get back to shore where someone can be more helpful?

“Fleeing the scene” has no official implications at this point. It’s meant to influence the public. The only source here is TMZ and the police have not said anything.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9651 posts
1325 upvotes
Wait if his boat went over the other person's boat, how fast were they going to do so? Anyone know how this works?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
3886 posts
615 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Aug 28th, 2019 6:56 am
if there were severe injuries, likely they would be racing back to the dock to get help and meet the ambulance/ paramedics or the fire department. It's not like that the emergency services can easily get out to the accident scene
I would have to agree with you . You have injured people on your boat . You need to get to a dock and emergency services .
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
11515 posts
11789 upvotes
pfbmgd wrote:
Aug 28th, 2019 8:05 am
I would have to agree with you . You have injured people on your boat . You need to get to a dock and emergency services .
Boats should be travelling together. Not hard.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
12127 posts
1809 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
speedyforme wrote:
Aug 28th, 2019 7:43 am
Wait if his boat went over the other person's boat, how fast were they going to do so? Anyone know how this works?
Keep in mind it's a wakeboarding boat. Pretty fast little boats. The ballast can be adjusted to effect speed. Lower the ballast the faster the wake and faster the boat. This lifts the bow of the boat out of the water. Depending how fast he was going his bow would slide over the larger boats bow or driver area right across the boat onto the other side which sounds like what happened. I read reports up there that police said it was a "mastercraft type wakeboarding boat". I assume similar to this one but customized with the batman motif...

2020 Mastercraft Xstar wake boarder
https://www.mastercraft.com/boats/overview/xstar

$173k usd

Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2510 posts
747 upvotes
Woodbridge
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Aug 28th, 2019 4:10 am

More information is required before passing judgement.
Not on RFD there aint.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5292 posts
2190 upvotes
O'Leary has a bad reputation. Well deserved too.