• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2017 7:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 3, 2017
3 posts
4 upvotes

KFC chicken pieces

Had KFC in Scarborough the other day and noticed that the chicken pieces are cut differently. Like the breasts are larger but cut in half. Thighs were attached to ribs but again cut into smaller pieces. Worse of all was the chicken tasted more 'mature', older and stringy.
Did a little research and an article about Canadian restaurants being unable to source smaller chickens. They are now forced to buy larger chickens which has lead to KFC changing how they cut their chickens.
That's a real shame because once in a while i enjoyed having dinner with the Colonel.
48 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36662 posts
2532 upvotes
Toronto
I like fried chicken... there is some good competition now. But its mostly that southern style with the chunky crispy skin.

Mary browns
Pop eyes

For that lighter kfc style batter... the original chicken joy on queen and coxwell has amazing fried chicken if youre from toronto. This is not to be confused with the chicken n joy franchise chain. They are different. But they make kfc style chicken with the lighter batter.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1458 posts
437 upvotes
johnvlahos28854 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 2:38 pm
Had KFC in Scarborough the other day and noticed that the chicken pieces are cut differently. Like the breasts are larger but cut in half. Thighs were attached to ribs but again cut into smaller pieces. Worse of all was the chicken tasted more 'mature', older and stringy.
Did a little research and an article about Canadian restaurants being unable to source smaller chickens. They are now forced to buy larger chickens which has lead to KFC changing how they cut their chickens.
That's a real shame because once in a while i enjoyed having dinner with the Colonel.
Overall, do you get more chicken than before?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6766 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
I bought popeyes at the Bloor dufferin location after not buying popeyes for a long time.
I paid the usual upcharge of $1 on a thighs to get breast because I know the breasts used to be humongous.
It used to include both the rib part and the part with the cartilage.
To my dismay, this was now turned into two pieces with the cartilage part being the size of the drumette from the wing.
I have since not returned to Popeyes.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2017
3 posts
4 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 5:54 pm
Overall, do you get more chicken than before?
Nope, pieces are smaller than before. Confirmed with a friend and he had the same issue last week. Thought KFC was being creative/cheap turns out it's an Ontario supply issue. Farmers want bigger chickens to sell for more $$. Surprised KFC messed with their chicken pieces model as opposed to buying out of province or USA/Brazil/China.

Edit: the drumsticks and wings were 'larger'.
Last edited by johnvlahos28854 on Nov 4th, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1458 posts
437 upvotes
johnvlahos28854 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 7:13 pm
Nope, pieces are smaller than before. Confirmed with a friend and he had the same issue last week. Thought KFC was being creative/cheap turns out it's an Ontario supply issue. Farmers want bigger chickens to sell for more $$. Surprised KFC messed with their chicken pieces model as opposed to buying out of province or USA/Brazil/China.
they will have to jack up the prices and cut up the larger chicken normally.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14533 posts
1085 upvotes
Toronto
They will soon sell skin separately because of the rise in minimum wage.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9555 posts
1241 upvotes
Toronto
I had kfc in St Lucia a few years back and wow, they were massive. 2 pieces were like 4-5 pieces. And it was darker (fried) but more deeper herb flavour. Way better than year. Was full after. Kfc back in the day early-mid 90s were huge here too. Like the St Lucia one. But it also had way more blubber and fat. I still have nowadays like once a year w a coupon as it is the flavour of my childhood. But definitely not worth it. I have a pop eyes 2 mins from my place so get that instead when I have my rare order of fried chicken.
May 28, 2012
9434 posts
1778 upvotes
Saskatoon
I stopped buying KFC chicken years ago when I noticed they had reduced the number of white meat pieces per bucket...while at the same time, increasing the cost. I called to complain and the person told me they had a "dark meat program"...I told them it was a rip off program. I make my own now.
Aug 29, 2010
145 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
KFC has always had the smallest chicken from my experience, I haven't had their chicken in a long time because of that.

Popeye's is definitely the biggest, and it's the best spicy fried chicken you can get. The only problem with Popeye's is that it wildly varies from location to location. If the location making it doesn't season it properly, uses too much oil, or overcooks it, it totally ruins it. My favourite location is Middlefield and Steeles, it's always consistent and the people there are super fast.

If you really like the taste of KFC's seasoning though, I highly recommend Chick 'n' Joy, it essentially KFC's flavour with the size of Popeye's chicken. The only downside is that their white meat can be a little dry, which Popeye's usually never is.

Mary Brown's is okay to me, but I know a lot of people really enjoy it, I never really got the appeal.

My other go-to is Double Double, it's actually a pizza place, and like Popeye's it wildly varies from place to place. Some places overcook their chicken, some places don't put enough breading on it, so it's not crispy at all, some places it's dry as well, and the same goes for the wedges that are included. I've had some that were amazing and some that were literally just overcooked potatoes with clumps of batter falling off. The best locations I've had were the two in North Scarborough (although the Markham Rd. one is sketchy as hell), do NOT go to the one on Eglinton, it's terrible.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
28233 posts
4204 upvotes
Ottawa
johnvlahos28854 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 2:38 pm
I hadn't been to a KFC in over a year and recently got a 4 piece diner and I agree with you.W hen I got home the pieces were cut differently. Looks like the white meat piece is smaller. The breast has been cut in half.
The thighs look bigger but the rib attached only makes it look that way, no more meat.
Is it solipsistic here? Or is it just me?
Feb 26, 2009
704 posts
97 upvotes
My go-to for fast food fried chicken is Mary Brown's at Dundas between Erin Mills and Winston Churchill.

As far as I know, it is the only Mary Brown's that serve spicy chicken pieces. Been to a few other locations in the GTA and none of them served the spicy version.

Of course, like most fast food, they don't particularly travel well.

When I travel to the US, I always seek out Chick-Fil-A spicy chicken sandwich. I would say Mary Brown's version is equally as good if not better.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6718 posts
1079 upvotes
Bellyhungry wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 8:28 am
My go-to for fast food fried chicken is Mary Brown's at Dundas between Erin Mills and Winston Churchill.

As far as I know, it is the only Mary Brown's that serve spicy chicken pieces. Been to a few other locations in the GTA and none of them served the spicy version.

Of course, like most fast food, they don't particularly travel well.

When I travel to the US, I always seek out Chick-Fil-A spicy chicken sandwich. I would say Mary Brown's version is equally as good if not better.
Mary Browns on Dufferin in Toronto has spicy chicken.
Nov 25, 2012
32 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
My go to now is chick n joy. Not to many locations. I don’t mind paying the high prices of fried chicken as long as it get nice big juicy pieces. KFC has gone downhill along time ago haven’t been for at least six years.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6945 posts
1444 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 5:24 pm
I like fried chicken... there is some good competition now. But its mostly that southern style with the chunky crispy skin.

Mary browns
Pop eyes

For that lighter kfc style batter... the original chicken joy on queen and coxwell has amazing fried chicken if youre from toronto. This is not to be confused with the chicken n joy franchise chain. They are different. But they make kfc style chicken with the lighter batter.
infinitely better than the cheap imitation from mom eyes.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.