• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2018 4:26 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1741 posts
546 upvotes
B.C.
Anyone try the Walmart Great Value Brand Crispy Chicken?

I picked it up for kicks and just tried a piece in the Airfryer. It's pretty good! Tastes like the 7-11 stuff!

I can't find it on the Walmart website, but this dude did a review on youtube:
Nov 10, 2017
15 posts
6 upvotes
So are certain pieces bigger at kfc now or is it just random wether a piece is small or not?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39390 posts
3596 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
lennyandcarl wrote:
Feb 1st, 2018 9:49 pm
Anyone try the Walmart Great Value Brand Crispy Chicken?

I picked it up for kicks and just tried a piece in the Airfryer. It's pretty good! Tastes like the 7-11 stuff!

I can't find it on the Walmart website, but this dude did a review on youtube:
Oh really :-0
Feb 8, 2018
1 posts
New way of cutting the chicken has just made you loose a very loyal customer. Mary Browns and Zehrs here I come.
Sep 27, 2009
36 posts
1 upvote
is it just me or are the pieces of chicken in the buckets they sell shrinking by epic proportions?
it's not hyperbole...today i saw what i'd classify as a pigeon thigh.
and the actual "cuts" of bird.
like jason vorhees had a cathartic moment with a cleaver.
honestly i need dental records to identify these chicken remains and we all know...
chickens dont have teeth.
but honestly the quality of a bucket of chicken these days...bites!
thank you
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7756 posts
1044 upvotes
Toronto
anyone refer their local KFC manager to this thread?;)
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
2573 posts
762 upvotes
jonathanjean7245 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 4:03 pm
https://www.kfc.ca/differentpieces

I love how they tried to spin this. So sad
Their '5' marking on the chicken, sure doesn't look even remotely similar in size to me...

They started cutting them smaller, and yes smaller, when minimum wage came out...what a coincidence.

If it's the same size then they should revert back to what they were doing before. Popeyes chicken 2 piece is around 3x the size of their chicken now MINIMUM. I would say it's 4x the size of the kfc thigh and their breast/drums are 2-3x.
Plus their fries are like 3x the size as well.
Banned
Feb 18, 2018
23 posts
4 upvotes
Always enjoyed KFC but there definitely getting smaller and I can't go there anymore. Its a shame since the chicken was one of my favourites. Ive started going to Mary Browns which is much better plus their wedges are delicious.
[OP]
Nov 3, 2017
4 posts
12 upvotes
I have not been to KFC since the end of October. Don't think I'll ever be back until they revert back to the old cuts. I miss Scott's Chicken Villa. PepsiCo has allowed other players into the Colonel's market because of profit vs quality/taste/finger lickin' good. Hopefully if enough of us stop supporting KFC Canada they will start paying attention to what we want.
Temp. Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32103 posts
8356 upvotes
GTHA
johnvlahos28854 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2018 6:30 pm
I have not been to KFC since the end of October. Don't think I'll ever be back until they revert back to the old cuts. I miss Scott's Chicken Villa. PepsiCo has allowed other players into the Colonel's market because of profit vs quality/taste/finger lickin' good. Hopefully if enough of us stop supporting KFC Canada they will start paying attention to what we want.
They no longer own the KFC brand since 1997

Three Restaurant Chains Prepare for Life After Pepsico
http://www.nytimes.com/1997/07/16/busin ... psico.html
Jan 1, 2013
9 posts
8 upvotes
SASKATOON
woof wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:12 pm
Chicken supply is controlled by government marketing boards in Canada. There are high tarriff barriers and you cannot just import chickens (or eggs or milk or cheese ....) without approval. Canada's barriers to these products is one of the things the Americana are complaining about in the current Free Trade negotiations.
Absolutely incorrect. Please don't repeat heresay or rumours and report them as fact.

Some Diary ... milk, actually ... is controlled by Farmer-owned cooperatives and a marketing board. The marketing board gives quotas which allow the farmer to produce and sell x amount of milk to the cooperative or to private businesses, which produces the other products ... retail cartons (or bags if you live in Ontario) of milk, butter, some cheeses, ice cream.

We use the marketing board system because milk production has massive swings in supply and demand. In the US they pour massive amounts of milk into the sewers every year because of over-supply issues. At other times there are shortages and prices for retail milk sykrockets (and above Canadian retail prices). The marketing board system eliminates over- and under-supply issues and we don't pour milk into sewers in this country, nor do we see wild swings in the retail price. In fact in most provinces it's illegal to raise the price of retail milk.

There is no marketing board for eggs. There is no marketing board for chicken. There is no marketing board for cheese, or ice cream, or yogurt, or any number of products *derived* from milk. There are no "Government" anything for these products.

Anyone can import any and all dairy products into Canada. 75% of the cheese purchased at retail by Canadian consumers is sourced from the United States.

US milk is not imported for retail packaging because no US milk, other than certified organic, meets Canada requirements (no hormones, and cows must be pulled from the milking machine before and after any antibiotic treatment; in the US cows are never pulled from the machine and receive both hormones and antibiotics while giving milk. We also have a much lower allowance for teat pus in milk, which is what the antibiotics are used to treat. Since Certified Organic US milk costs more than Canadian Dairy operations milk, there is no economic sense to importing it, although some organic branded carton product is sold here. In fact ordinary Canadian dairy milk qualifies as organic if sold into the US.

And remember, all cheese, yogurt, ice cream, etc is derived from milk. So the cheese from the US has the same quality issues as the milk, and the cheese from Canadian milk has the same quality advantages. I don't care what you drink or eat, but what do you want to feed your children? Hormones? Antibiotics?

Chicken in Canada is federally inspected. Chicken in the us *might be* State inspected, or it might not be inspected by anyone. So to import fresh chicken from the US, the importer must have it inspected at the border by Canadian Food Inspectors. This increases the cost so that typically fresh food is not imported into Canada (pork, beef as well, although they are widely imported as live animals and slaughtered here so that they can be federally inspected), but there is zero prohibition from doing so.

Burgers in Canada are made from "Canadian Beef" not as advertising fodder but because we are beef exporters and have plenty of supply for our domestic needs.

The US complains about our quota system because it prevents them from selling inferior, low cost milk into Canada. Without the quotas, we would have to adopt US quality standards for all our milk and milk-derived products. Still, kill NAFTA and that 75% of cheese WILL result in tariffs and US exports of dairy to Canada WILL fall. Do not confuse sabre-rattleing or other bluster negotiating tactics with what the US actually wants from and will agree to with NAFTA. Milk quotas will be here after or if a new NAFTA is negotiated, and the US WILL sign it if the rest of the agreement is fine with them.