KFC Toonie Tuesday $2.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2014 8:44 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 16, 2011
8822 posts
1217 upvotes
I guess they can't raise the prices anymore without having to change the name :)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto
You can just imagine a bunch of corporate bigwigs sitting at a big table and meticulously trying to weasel out less value from a $2.99 "toonie" meal.

-"Year over year processing expenses would increase 0.00002% if we were to cut the drumstick to two pieces"
-"As the global economy continues its recovery, customers will be willing to accept a $3.19 toonie tuesday as a value offering"
-"We do not anticipate competition from Popeye's Supplements as a threat to our Toonie Tuesday value offering.
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill
appleb wrote: -"We do not anticipate competition from Popeye's Supplements as a threat to our Toonie Tuesday value offering.
+1

:lol:
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Mar 21, 2008
312 posts
36 upvotes
Calgary
Ya KFC is expensive no doubt about it. I remember my first Double Down Combo in November 2010; $8.99 + GST for an incredibly small double down sandwich and regular fries that are smaller than everywhere else.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4465 posts
426 upvotes
Toronto
I remember when gas used to be like $0.48 about 12 years ago.
Buy Bell, and you go to HELL! :-0
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
They did NOT have both fries and a salad. I don't ever remember them offering Salad (if they did, it would have been a substitute for the Fries).

The reason for rising chicken prices:
-The chicken industry in Canada is not as large and encompassing as it is in the US where Corporate chicken farming industry is entrenched in the food system.

-There are also rising chicken prices due to the increased commodity costs, which cannot be offset as much as it is in the Beef industry (there is a financial industry report that gives the reasons which I can't specifically locate or recall) but it has to do with Chicken producers taking on responsibility for the whole vertical chain of chicken production vs Beef which can be more specialized and 'passed/traded' around.

-Rising demand for Chicken as a healthy meat vs red meat.

The parent company in Canada recently filed for a bankruptcy/restructuring thus usually, when this happens, management goes back to basics which is why you'll notice their menu significantly simplified, and certain 'deals' are eliminated or minimized.

I like many will just choose to reminisce of KFC as a healthy, finger-lickin good family dinner alternative of days gone by (also saving it for major hangover days where the grease and gravy still can do the job).
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Nook wrote: I remember when gas used to be like $0.48 about 12 years ago.
LOL - nice one. Was it only 12 years ago though? Feels more like when I was a kid.
at1212b wrote: I like many will just choose to reminisce of KFC as a healthy, finger-lickin good family dinner alternative of days gone by (also saving it for major hangover days where the grease and gravy still can do the job).

Finger-lickin? Yes. Healthy? I don't know what KFC you've been eating ....
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19151 posts
9079 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I just had Popeyes this last Tuesday. Even though their Tuesday special does not include fries, their chicken are much bigger than what KFC gives you. Well the breast part anyways. The drumsticks were like average size. KFC's portions are downright small and expensive now. Not worth it anymore...
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13010 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
ronin1701 wrote: LOL - nice one. Was it only 12 years ago though? Feels more like when I was a kid.

Finger-lickin? Yes. Healthy? I don't know what KFC you've been eating ....

Easy there, why you try to ruin my memory?

Ok, "Healthy" might be a strong word, but "Eating Well" is similar and the spirit of KFC (watch whole commercial) of the times (guess you neither understood, were around, or 'got').
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12990 posts
1471 upvotes
PuppetDoctor wrote: They should now call it Triple Tuesday.

The last time I had Toonie Tuesday was in 2000 back when it was an actual toonie.
shannn wrote: You should make a suggestion to them to call it loonie-toonie Tuesday, lol
tranquility922 wrote: Exactly. I HATE misnomers. KFC should stop calling it freaking Toonie Tuesday. It's false advertising!
4flava wrote: It's now Toonie Loonie Tuesday!
TheRealVinsanity wrote: I guess they can't raise the prices anymore without having to change the name :)

In all fairness, it is called Tuesday Special now so they dont even mention "Toonie"
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
3155 posts
1869 upvotes
Siefer999 wrote: In all fairness, it is called Tuesday Special now so they dont even mention "Toonie"

It was originally Toonie Tuesday. (which was fair)

Then prices went up to $2.22 and they called it Twos Tuesday. (which was fair)

Then prices went up to $2.49 and they started calling it Toonie Tuesday again. (wtf!!)

I'm glad they've gone back to a non-misleading name!
Jul 20, 2011
245 posts
68 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I just went to KFC for the first time in a good while and purchased 3 of their $2.99 Tuesday specials or "Toonie" Tuesdays as the employees still call it. The store on 3496 Sheppard Ave. E. (Store #1310) used to be the best store in my area but lately they are doing a terrible job.

Point 1: Even with the price increase at $2.99 each they are serving scrawny, small pieces of chicken

Point 2: At the Sheppard store (Store #1310, East of Sheppard and Warden) they have gotten so stingy with the ketchup by giving away only one pack per meal. I ordered 3 meals and even asked for ketchup which I was told was in the bag. Upon reaching home I only found 2 plastic forks and 2 ketchup packs for 3 meals with barely any napkins. Anyone remember the KFC sporks in the 90's. They used to give you a spoon/fork with pepper, salt, a napkin and a wetnap.

Point 3: I don't buy KFC often but I notice that each time there are always new employees. The original employees that ran the Sheppard store from 1994 onwards were the best crew. The newbies are not always good with customer service or orders. I've seen one customer flip out and hurl stuff from the counter once so I had to be a witness for when the cop arrived. Today they packed my meals in a vertical position in the brown bag for some reason so one of the kfc boxes opened spilling the fries. Well, once at another store at Finch and Warden they charged me 5 cents for a plastic bag that ripped open by the time I reached the parking lot.

The recession was the biggest escuse for customers getting ripped off by paying more for less. Sure costs of products go up and so it will drive up prices, but still that's no reason to lower quality and customer service standards. I'd rather pay for a good meal than overpriced fast food because it's not really worth it.
Jun 11, 2008
156 posts
166 upvotes
PuppetDoctor wrote: They should now call it Triple Tuesday.

The last time I had Toonie Tuesday was in 2000 back when it was an actual toonie.

They should stop calling it "Toonie Tuesday". Isn't this a form of false advertising?

I stopped purchasing the Tuesday special after the first price increase.
LCBO VINTAGES Wine Picks & Reviews
Jul 20, 2011
245 posts
68 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Nook wrote: I remember when gas used to be like $0.48 about 12 years ago.

I remember gas being $0.54 to $0.56/L around 1994 to 1995 in Ontario. During early 2005 it was climbing to around $0.80/L. Then gas stations upgraded their signs to charge $1/L perhaps in that same year.

http://climate.uvic.ca/people/ewiebe/ga ... prices.php

All these "I remember" stories are starting to make me feel old.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
163 upvotes
cono_sur wrote: They should stop calling it "Toonie Tuesday". Isn't this a form of false advertising?

Only three hours and three posts earlier this was debunked - what really needs to stop is poor reading comprehension - isn't this a form of false education?
Jul 20, 2011
245 posts
68 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I don't usually eat at KFC now days and I know it's junk food. But I think that their current slogan "So good" is false advertising. I'd like for people to complain and send their comments to them if you have received lousy customer service. And also bring to their attention their poor escuse for food such as their scrawny chicken pieces, or deep fried chicken bones as I'd like to call it, that they now serve us despite price increases. Their slogan should be "So bad". Paying for a bad product is never a good deal. I practically got overpriced chicken bones with a hand full of fries for a $2.99 Tuesday special.

http://www.kfc.ca/home/en/contact-us.html
Jan 5, 2010
205 posts
Edmonton (Torono nat…
Jimboski wrote: I just aye Popeyes $3 for three piece!

i dunno, popeyes chicken doesnt have that signature herby/salty crisby skin that KFC has. then again the skin's quality has gone downhill over the years...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2006
5351 posts
2459 upvotes
Basementbargainhunter wrote: I just went to KFC for the first time in a good while and purchased 3 of their $2.99 Tuesday specials or "Toonie" Tuesdays as the employees still call it. The store on 3496 Sheppard Ave. E. (Store #1310) used to be the best store in my area but lately they are doing a terrible job.

You're comparing the portion sizes, included condiments and customers who work there today versus the experience you had in 1994. That was 18 years ago. That would be like me saying, Today I was looking at the Toyota Camry and it's $35,000! The last time I looked back in 1994 they were $12,000! What happened in these 18 years?!?!

Anyways, depending on what coupon you use you can get a piece of chicken down to $1.10 in a bucket. Yea, it's not as cheap as when a piece in a bucket averaged $0.50-0.75, but this is 2012 not 1994.
Jul 20, 2011
245 posts
68 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Mulder and Scully wrote: You're comparing the portion sizes, included condiments and customers who work there today versus the experience you had in 1994. That was 18 years ago. That would be like me saying, Today I was looking at the Toyota Camry and it's $35,000! The last time I looked back in 1994 they were $12,000! What happened in these 18 years?!?!
Yes inflation will drive up prices. It's hard to compare cars to KFC chicken because cars have evolved since 1994 with more technology and features such as side air bags, tire pressure monitoring systems, ipod connectors, etc. Would you pay $35,000 for a car if it was poor quality and a piece of junk? No, I'd think you'd expect something better for your money in this modern day.

What I meant is that I've been a customer of theirs since 1994. It was always descent even 10 to 15 years later after 1994 but in the last 2 years or so they kept changing the employees and it's like they put profit before their customers and everything else. So it's not so much the price increases that bother me, it's the decline in service and food quality. I've always gone to this location but I mind when a business does a poor job and still acts like they're doing people a favour. Customers are doing them a favour by keeping them in business. The Toonie Tuesday deal went from descent to garbage and all their chicken pieces are the worst I've seen. These bony chicken pieces are unfit to be served. I don't applaud businesses for moving in a backwards direction.