• Oct 4th, 2012 3:02 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
77 posts
6 upvotes
Leask

Kia "3 Payments On Us" Promo Cost

Kia is offering a 3 Payments On Us promo on a number of vehicles. On the 2013 Optima it comes in the form of $1200 cash back.

I was in negotiating a purchase today, working up from invoice price, when the dealer claimed that that promo was split $800 from the manufacturer, and $400 from the dealer. His argument was that if that $400 is out of his pocket, and we're going to negotiate up from cost, then the $400 disappears, and for all intents and purposes the promo is only $800.

Now, I can accept that, if indeed the $400 does come from the dealer. 3% over invoice, a fairly reasonable offer, is ~$750 on this car. Expecting the dealer to give me $400 out of that is a little rough.

So that begs the question, does anybody know if this promo is indeed structured this way, or have I been fed a load of it?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1187 posts
152 upvotes
Call the manufacturer and ask. Sounds like a load of dealer bs to me
Jan 21, 2011
3 posts
2 upvotes
Just bought a kia a couple of weeks ago, and no, it's not *****. Dealer pays a third of the cost. But where you can negotiate is the fees after the car price. Admin is pure profit for the dealer, so tell them they eat at least 50% of it or you walk.

Hope that helps.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
77 posts
6 upvotes
Leask
Thanks for the replies guys. I called Kia and they wouldn't tell me how the promo is structured.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
3793 posts
273 upvotes
From my experience with MB usually there is some dealer participation.