Automotive

Kia Sedona Steering Wheel Problem - U-Joint?

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2011 2:12 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
3393 posts
641 upvotes
Cowtown

Kia Sedona Steering Wheel Problem - U-Joint?

My 2002 Sedona's steering wheel has become stiff. It all started to happen a couple of weeks ago. It was a fairly quick change -- it went from being fine to being tight within a couple of days.

I notice it the most when I turn, having to work to turn the van and then work to straighten the wheel. Occasionally during the turn the wheel will be tight, then a little looser, then tight, then a little looser. It makes no noticeable noises when turning, and the wheel doesn't try to pull out of my hands as I turn.

A little bit of research showed that Sedonas are known for bad Universal Joints aka U-Joint and you can either replace or lubricate the existing u-joint to fix this issue.

The question is how do I get to the u-joint (where to look for it and grease it). Or are you aware of any places that replace u-joint for reasonable $$.

Thanks
Your mental health matters. Every step you take towards self-care and seeking support is a powerful investment in your well-being. You have the strength and resilience to overcome any challenges and thrive in your journey towards better mental health
4 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
A couple things, a Kia Sedona is front wheel drive and would have constant velocity joints (CV). If they are failing, they would have little affect on steering, some but not what you are describing.
Have you checked the power steering fluid level? If the fluid is good, then you have a suspension problem.
Most importantly, get it into shop right away, you have a serious problem that could cause you to lose control of your vehicle and have an accident.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
3393 posts
641 upvotes
Cowtown
Pete_Coach wrote: A couple things, a Kia Sedona is front wheel drive and would have constant velocity joints (CV). If they are failing, they would have little affect on steering, some but not what you are describing.
Have you checked the power steering fluid level? If the fluid is good, then you have a suspension problem.
Most importantly, get it into shop right away, you have a serious problem that could cause you to lose control of your vehicle and have an accident.

Thanks Pete. No there is no power steering fluid leak. Hopefully the problem is no too serious, but thanks for the warning, I will go see the machanic today and see what he has to say. I hate buyig used cars........but that's what I can afford right now.
Your mental health matters. Every step you take towards self-care and seeking support is a powerful investment in your well-being. You have the strength and resilience to overcome any challenges and thrive in your journey towards better mental health
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
548 upvotes
I assume the u joint you are refering to is the universal joint at the end of the steering column where it is geared and connects to the input gear of the steering rack. You can get access to it from underneath the vehicle, so you can do what you say about greasing it. I would check for play in the joint and if there is any replace it.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Mrbj wrote: Thanks Pete. No there is no power steering fluid leak. Hopefully the problem is no too serious, but thanks for the warning, I will go see the machanic today and see what he has to say. I hate buyig used cars........but that's what I can afford right now.

You are welcome. While there are couplings in the steering linkage of the vehicle, there should not be any difficulty turning. Your description of normal and then stiffness and then easy and sticking steering is not good. It is an indication of something jamming up or binding. This is a serious situation and should it happen if you are doing an evasive maneuver of while turning into traffic, you could very well drive into someone.
It has nothing to do with used cars, it can happen on any car so, don't beat yourself up on this. It is a mini van so, I am assuming there may be kids in there with you....go get it fixed. :)
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)