Students

Kicked out of university, what can I do?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2014 8:47 pm
[OP]
Apr 20, 2012
51 posts
MISSISSAUGA

Kicked out of university, what can I do?

I got kicked out of my university program after failing 1 required course. I have 'average' marks for the rest of my courses (Bs and As, mostly). I hold around 19 transferrable 'credits'.

I'm thinking about transferring out to a community college to earn a diploma and to pick up some practical skills while I focus on building my web startup.

Anybody have any ideas?
15 replies
Sep 10, 2012
274 posts
36 upvotes
What program are you in where you're kicked out of it for failing one course with otherwise decent marks? I know in Waterloo Engineering you can wind up having to repeat a term if you fail, but they don't kick you out.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2010
1754 posts
258 upvotes
Kaylya wrote:
Nov 26th, 2014 9:41 pm
What program are you in where you're kicked out of it for failing one course with otherwise decent marks? I know in Waterloo Engineering you can wind up having to repeat a term if you fail, but they don't kick you out.
I am quite surprised as well. Based on his post history, it appears he goes to Laurier BBA. OP, can you elaborate more on the circumstances?

Have you tried appealing or speaking with an academic advisor over your options as well?
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
208 upvotes
Iceland
1 failed class? This can't be the reason why lol. It takes a lot more than one terrible grade to warrant expulsion.
"Between my salary and the office supplies I pilfer, I'm making 6 figures."
Medicine1T4 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2014 2:48 am
oh that's just a username............... im in grade 12
May 26, 2009
9 posts
1 upvote
Transfer to other university or college are your options.
Mar 2, 2013
364 posts
26 upvotes
Langley
No way.. Your gpa has to drop to 2.0 or below to get "kicked out" in most universities... Even then they put you on academic probation first.. They love your money afterall
Dont lie here, you failed everything or cheated
Deal Addict
May 24, 2010
1035 posts
152 upvotes
go back and finish it up. 19 credits is a lot (unless you guys use some weird scale)

i got kicked out of university twice. eventually i transferred into an easier major just to get the thing done. if i didn't go back and finish it up and have that piece of paper, i'd never have been able to get the jobs i've gotten. not because of the education, but just because there is a huge tier of professions where you need to have a bachelors degree.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2450 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
some would say you're on track to becoming a billionaire, due to zuckerburg and bill gates dropping out of university (same thing really)
Deal Addict
May 24, 2010
1035 posts
152 upvotes
medalgo wrote:
Nov 28th, 2014 5:45 pm
some would say you're on track to becoming a billionaire, due to zuckerburg and bill gates dropping out of university (same thing really)
step 1: check!
Jan 1, 2007
383 posts
59 upvotes
1 failed course and you have A's or B's in everything else. Story doesn't line up here at all. I know what it sounds like to me, but I don't think the OP will be back to further explain.
Jun 28, 2009
78 posts
2 upvotes
Thornhill
Laurier BBA requires at least a 7.0 (B- average) in its core business courses and 5.0 (C-) in non-business electives for each year.

Or unless you failed 10 courses...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1203 upvotes
aGincourt
OP failed a course due to academic misconduct..... ?
May 26, 2009
9 posts
1 upvote
boredsilly wrote:
Nov 28th, 2014 12:15 pm
go back and finish it up. 19 credits is a lot (unless you guys use some weird scale)
Schools use different scales. At UofT 20 credits is already your Hons BA/Bsci requirement. So this 19 transferable credits means nothing unless we know what school OP is from.
Apr 28, 2010
112 posts
27 upvotes
You're usually allowed to retake the required course unless you failed it the 'x' amount of times the school allows you to take the course then...good luck transferring universities.
Jul 22, 2012
535 posts
104 upvotes
In some graduate programs you get kicked out if you get one F or two Cs.