Home & Garden

Kid friendly neighbourhoods/streets in Orchard (Burlington)?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2018 10:08 am
[OP]
Jun 18, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote

Kid friendly neighbourhoods/streets in Orchard (Burlington)?

Hello,

we are thinking of making a move from Toronto to Burlington and are looking to move to a family-friendly neighbourhood. The consensus seems to be that the Orchard is a good neighbourhood to live in, but I would like to know more specifically which streets/areas are particularly kid friendly and which have nice houses/properties. Also, any we should avoid? The price range also seems to vary widely. Are $1.5 mil houses really that much better than the $800,000 ones? They all look beautiful to me, coming from a 100-year old semi in Toronto :) We are in our late 30s/early 40s and have a 4-year old daughter and a cat. Thanks!!!
22 replies
May 2, 2011
877 posts
157 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I think all of the Orchard is pretty safe for kids and families. The area was built up in the early 2000's I believe so a lot of younger families. Close to all the amenities you could want or need. Close to Hwy 407/QEW and Upper Middle/Dundas. We looked there when searching for a house, but ended up settling in Oakville. Was told that there were two builders in the area (Mattamy and Sundial) I believe. The Sundial homes were said to be of poorer quality. A lot of the lots in the neighbourhood are extremely small as well, which we didn't like. Need to go to a house built before 2000 if you want a decent-sized lot if that's important to you.

The range in price is all due to the size differences and number of bedrooms. They range from townhouses up to 5+ bedroom homes > 3,000 sq. ft.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9714 posts
8698 upvotes
Oakville
Any cul-de-sac in Burlington/Oakville will be nice and quiet.
Sep 29, 2014
26 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Moved to Burlington ‘Core’ from Toronto. Great for kids. Lots of parks, festivals, restaurants, etc. I think anywhere in Burlington is safe for kids really. I wouldn’t be limited to the ‘Orchard’
[OP]
Jun 18, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for all your replies. I guess I should specify that I don’t just mean a safe street/area but one that has a sense of community, friendly neighbors, lots of people hanging out outside. We live in a family friendly Neighbourhood now, but the people around us are all older and not super friendly. I would not recommend my street, but I know of streets just a bit down that have people hanging out on porches and kids playing on the street. I was hopeful by to get some insight like that about Burlington.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2617 posts
1432 upvotes
GTA
I guess I'm one of those "unfriendly" neighbours :-( I just don't appreciate screaming kids on bicycles, trashing my flowers, bumping in to my cars or throwing garbage all over. Talking to their moron parents didn't do any good - kids became more vicious now. Was thinking about moving to Burlington as well, someone recommend that city as one having more mature neighbourhoods? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Jun 17, 2004
204 posts
22 upvotes
Burlington
I live in the Orchard. You'll find most of the streets pretty family friendly, especially ones close to a school. Stay away from the main drags (Sutton, parts of Blue Spruce, parts of Orchard Rd, Dryden). Detached houses right now seem to be going from the high 600s for a 1 car garage 3 bedroom to the mid 900s for 4 bedroom 2 car garage. The houses over 1M are generally Ravine lots or are quite large / have larger land. Mattamy and Sundial were 2 of the main builders (I think there was some Fernbrook, and ours was a Bucci (they only did a couple of streets). Do yourself a favour, take a Saturday or an evening, park at one of the parks in the neighbourhood and take a walk around. That'll give you a good feel of what things are like.
RFD - You gotta spend money to make money :)
[OP]
Jun 18, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote
Haha Tommy! That was me a few years ago. Now that I have a kid I don’t mind it as much. As long as their parents are nice to hang out with :)
Dec 4, 2009
201 posts
129 upvotes
Waterdown
Streets in the Orchard are so tight, and once cars are parked, it’s a single file kind of road... I never understood the thinking when they build that.

I can still remember climbing the apple trees out there, when it was an Orchard...
[OP]
Jun 18, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote
Thanks valen!
I like the idea of just hanging out in the Neighbourhood to get an idea of what it’s like. Maybe we’ll do it this weekend.
[OP]
Jun 18, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote
Todd, I agree, though I don’t mind a small house and a narrow street. I saw that the lots in Millcroft are much larger but the houses are much more expensive. I’m also not sure the neighborhood has a lot of kids. Do you have a suggestion for a different neighborhood?
Nov 26, 2008
546 posts
138 upvotes
GTA
Look South of the QEW. Massive lots, wide streets, and quiet. The only beef is smaller homes but we have made it work for the last 8 years.
[OP]
Jun 18, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote
So, there is a house on Viking St right now that looks nice - any experience with this area?
Also, Phoebe Crescent in south Burlington - is this practically Oakville (not that it matters)?