None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9512 posts
637 upvotes
Muskoka

Kids bedroom furniture

Anyone have any leads on where to find solid wood bedroom furniture for children at a better than normal price? It doesn't need to be for children, technically, of course, I just need a twin set.

I've been hoping to get something second hand, and have been scouring Craigslist and Kijiji for over a month, with nothing decent coming up that I've been able to grab. We're running out of time (new baby due Mar 5th!), so I have to start considering new stuff now. We've been to a few furniture stores (Brick/Leon's as well as higher end stores like Stoney Creek Furniture), but decent solid wood stuff is all very expensive.

Are there real deals to be had on something like this, or I am resigned to paying thousands for it? We won't buy cheap laminate, so that's not an option. I thought second hand would be perfect, as you can get good quality stuff for $500, I guess I just didn't leave myself enough time to search for it...
13 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
im selling a teak set, but not solid,,,, pretty tough to get solid cheap unless you do find older second hand which does get snapped up quick,,,, my parents sold there solid set 3 months ago for nearly $1000 and it was 30yrs old.

There is a place in hamilton, bj furniture wharehouse and a place in oakville on the north service rd you can get some really good deals on furniture
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9512 posts
637 upvotes
Muskoka
fireguy9 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2006 9:04 am
im selling a teak set, but not solid,,,, pretty tough to get solid cheap unless you do find older second hand which does get snapped up quick,,,, my parents sold there solid set 3 months ago for nearly $1000 and it was 30yrs old.

There is a place in hamilton, bj furniture wharehouse and a place in oakville on the north service rd you can get some really good deals on furniture
I HAVE been seeing used solid sets for $400-500, in a couple cases they were just not our style, or not suitable for a boy, in another case I had no one but myself to blame. I'd just started looking, so had no price point, and a guy was selling a real nice set for $500. I tried to haggle with no results, so I walked away. Reconsidered and called back later...it was gone! Still kicking myself for that one, but I know better now.

Thanks for the info. I found BJ's with a search, and will check it out, but do you have any more info on the Oakville place? Even if it's just what exits it's between will help, as I drive that way every day.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6240 posts
91 upvotes
There are ~2 places in Ottawa that make their own wood furniture (and sell premade stuff). Maybe you have such a store in your area?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9512 posts
637 upvotes
Muskoka
mart242 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2006 9:21 am
There are ~2 places in Ottawa that make their own wood furniture (and sell premade stuff). Maybe you have such a store in your area?
We have Mennonite places that do that, but that's the most expensive stuff of all! And a little too rustic looking for my taste.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6240 posts
91 upvotes
Bullseye wrote:
Dec 21st, 2006 9:23 am
We have Mennonite places that do that, but that's the most expensive stuff of all! And a little too rustic looking for my taste.
That's the place I'm talking about:

http://www.simplywood.com/

Some of the bedroom sets are from canwood... http://www.canwood.com/ It's pine though.. but for a kids bedroom, it should be ok.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2838 posts
48 upvotes
Bullseye wrote:
Dec 21st, 2006 9:14 am
I HAVE been seeing used solid sets for $400-500, in a couple cases they were just not our style, or not suitable for a boy, in another case I had no one but myself to blame. I'd just started looking, so had no price point, and a guy was selling a real nice set for $500. I tried to haggle with no results, so I walked away. Reconsidered and called back later...it was gone! Still kicking myself for that one, but I know better now.

Thanks for the info. I found BJ's with a search, and will check it out, but do you have any more info on the Oakville place? Even if it's just what exits it's between will help, as I drive that way every day.

Don't recall the name of the place,,, as its a satelite location, but I believe its 1173 north service rd unit 1,,,,,,,,

THAT IS THE ADDRESS as I just found the ad I kept for it, and tel is 905-616-4307
Apr 4, 2006
416 posts
21 upvotes
Burlington
Bullseye wrote:
Dec 21st, 2006 11:28 am
That's nice stuff, more in line with what we like. Is it cheaper than other furniture stores, though?
Unfortunately I found this site a little late. I had already bought a set for our child so I never followed up. I guess you can always give them a call and ask for a price on the pieces you are interested in.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6016 posts
39 upvotes
Ottawa
let us know what you find...out little one is due in April and we haven't bought one thing yet!!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9512 posts
637 upvotes
Muskoka
skanji wrote:
Dec 21st, 2006 1:15 pm
let us know what you find...out little one is due in April and we haven't bought one thing yet!!
Well, you won't need a bed set for a couple years, at least! You can get new cribs at Once Upon a Child for $200, decent Storkcraft ones, too. You can get most stuff second hand for very cheap, only things you really need new are cribs and car seats.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6240 posts
91 upvotes
Bullseye wrote:
Dec 21st, 2006 1:37 pm
You can get most stuff second hand for very cheap, only things you really need new are cribs and car seats.
Car seats, sure. But cribs? I bought a super nice "Morigeau-Lepine" used crib for 200$... these things retail for 800$+ !
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9512 posts
637 upvotes
Muskoka
mart242 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2006 2:42 pm
Car seats, sure. But cribs? I bought a super nice "Morigeau-Lepine" used crib for 200$... these things retail for 800$+ !
If you can be sure it's new enough to be safe, then used is okay. I bought a new crib just for the peace of mind.