Kids and Company Daycare - 104 Advance Road in Etobicoke

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2017 2:15 pm
[OP]
Oct 4, 2017
2 posts

Kids and Company Daycare - 104 Advance Road in Etobicoke

Tips on local daycare.

We did not witness any signs of pre-planned activities for the kids. Most of the day was free play. We have no issue with free play, but if that is all we wanted for our child, we would have found a babysitter or unregistered daycare for much cheaper. If any activities were done with the kids, it was obviously done on the fly. My child was in another daycare prior to our move and I have seen what organized activities (that are play based) look like. It was not provided here. My child was bored.

What we did witness was kids being shifted in and out of the room randomly. It appeared as though they were constantly managing ratios. What was bothersome was that children were just moved from one room to the next without explaining to them what was happening. They would open the door, tell the other teachers “you need to take them” and then leave. The children were not greeted and in one instance, a child was left crying and confused and was not approached by a teacher. These were not ‘transitions’. This was ratio management. This is confirmed in the employee review pasted above.

The teachers and assistants at Kids and Company seemed unhappy and stressed. The classroom was not effectively managed. We also saw the Director helping out in various classrooms almost every day. This gave the impression that they do not have enough staff.

We were not impressed by the food. We’ve seen much better in other centres.

There were not a good variety of toys in the room. In other centres, they bring out different toys frequently to cater to different interests and to keep the kids interested (doesn’t have to be anything fancy – example: bug week, firetruck week, etc). This centre did not do that, it was the same toys every day. Our child was bored. I also noticed what seemed to be many dollar store toys in the room. I don’t have a problem with dollar store toys – but I HAVE THEM ALL AT HOME. My son was not interested. I expect more from a child care centre.

It seems Kids and Company is very marketing focused. They advertise events for parents and list their menu using cute marketing terms for food. I would prefer that they focus on providing quality care for the children and less time trying to impress the parents with meaningless things.

There were many other things that made me uncomfortable and unhappy with this centre, but I have listed the main concerns. There are much better daycares out there. Try a non-profit centre.
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9418 posts
1184 upvotes
Toronto
Do you have suggestions for a non-profit center? Yes, that is what I've heard about this company.
[OP]
Oct 4, 2017
2 posts
We eventually ended up at a non-profit in Mississauga. So no tips about any centres in Etobicoke, sorry. After seeing this new daycare, comparing to Kids and Company (104 Advance Road in Etobicoke - it is night and day. I am so happy my child is no longer at Kids and Company.