• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2017 10:44 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 12, 2009
684 posts
256 upvotes

Kids rep sports

I'm just wondering if parents are as over-involved in other sports are they are in hockey. Or because hockey is our national sport, does it encourage parents to go off the deep end.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3623 posts
1070 upvotes
Toronto
depends on the sport, depends on the parents and depends on the league :)
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2394 posts
974 upvotes
Some soccer parents are just as crazy lol. Oh and parents of competitive dancers. It probably costs more to be involved in competitive dance then rep hockey.
Feb 8, 2017
245 posts
93 upvotes
rep anything is crazy. my opinion is 99% of it is just a money grab. as soon as someone says rep parents eyes light up. however if one of my kids ability was at a rep level and they really wanted to play i would probably pony up the cash, just with no illusions of anything other than it's a game.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
7552 posts
1171 upvotes
Ontario
Momof3cuties wrote:
May 6th, 2017 9:25 am
Some soccer parents are just as crazy lol. Oh and parents of competitive dancers. It probably costs more to be involved in competitive dance then rep hockey.
Seeing both, you're correct, FAR more.

Think, every number requires a custom made outfit, top to bottom, including shoes, and sometimes props (could be in excess of 12-15 numbers, PER season). Custom made since they all have to be same, and expensive since the people doing this charge an arm and a leg! Hair products, including hair extensions. Makeup. Non competition shows where people buy tickets for their families. Additional dance training, etc

Many competitions are fly-to destinations (eg Vegas).

Many dance companies charge far more than a basic fee to belong to a hockey team, even AAA teams.

I was stunned when I saw how much money is spent on competitive dance.
Jan 2, 2015
974 posts
365 upvotes
I have found at around grade 4 age it starts to get really crazy for some sports. We have stayed out of competitive level for this reason. Even at the rec levels it's one or two night of games, and one or two nights of practice. The kids in competitive are going up to 6 nights a week. This is for soccer.

Dance, gymnastics, synchro swimming are worse. Our friends, have kids in provincial level sports at they are prancticing up 26 hours a week.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13196 posts
672 upvotes
lots of sports have crazy and over engaged parents, but yes, hockey is probably the most prominent.

Since neither of us is overly team sport focused, we haven't put our kids in a lot of team sports. They've played house league soccer, but really they like the more individual sports and activities: Swimming lessons, fishing, golf, rock climbing...or just running around having fun.
Penalty Box
Apr 30, 2017
75 posts
12 upvotes
My 12 year old plays for Sigma. Approx 4-5K per year. Hes been playing soccer since he was 5. Crazy talented, thats why I support him to the fullest. I mean, Id support my child either way, but because he is so talented and involved in the sport, I fork up the dough. I enjoy watching him play as well. It gets crazy though man......4 times per week. Once in a blue moon, 5 times per week.