Shopping Discussion

Kijiji/Craigslist/VarageSale/Letgo Sellers What’s Your Experience

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2017 10:11 pm
Dec 1, 2015
144 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Vragesale is the way to go. I gave up on Kijiji and like vsale because it's not anonymous. You can leave feedback about the buyer and seller. You can report issues to mods.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
4698 posts
1368 upvotes
Canada
Reepicheep wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 7:23 am
Vragesale is the way to go. I gave up on Kijiji and like vsale because it's not anonymous. You can leave feedback about the buyer and seller. You can report issues to mods.
Forces you to sign up with Facebook.... Ridiculous
Many people don't use fb

9/10 people on letgo appear to be bots, lowballers or scammers.

I guess it depends on city, but Kijiji is still the best overall. The ratio of legit buyers to time wasters is better than letgo or Craigslist
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8334 posts
1546 upvotes
London
RFDQ1016 wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 3:24 pm
Forces you to sign up with Facebook.... Ridiculous
So I set up a fake FB acct for selling stuff. Rod Iron is now selling on Vragesale.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8281 posts
630 upvotes
Toronto
Ninja Robot Pirate wrote:
Aug 18th, 2017 4:24 pm
People don't read. They click "I want" thinking that it means they want the amount they've priced their item at. Meanwhile, there's an explanation of what the "I am offering" and "I want" options mean:

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 4.26.37 PM.png
Believe it or not I've gotten some really good deals in the past because of that mistake haha.
May 23, 2008
746 posts
334 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
XtremeModder wrote:
Aug 20th, 2017 11:46 am
Believe it or not I've gotten some really good deals in the past because of that mistake haha.
Heh, same. I stopped filtering my search results when I realized you could find some poor seller's item languishing unsold in the wanted section and capitalize on it.
[OP]
Mar 10, 2016
7 posts
I have reported scammers and abusive buyers on Craigslist but don't get any feedback so I have the feeling that nothing is done. I think it is a waste of time to report problems to both Craigslist or Kijiji.

Another fairly recent change in Kijiji was the restriction of the number of free ads that can be posted. I haven't used a category that restricts it to 2, but it sure is a problem when you are trying to sell lots of stuff in one category. I believe that Kijiji is trying to discourage free posting and maybe has a strategy to eliminate free ads. It would be nice to get the inside scoop on what Kijiji's business plan is.
[OP]
Mar 10, 2016
7 posts
DashcamOttawa91 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2017 4:21 pm
I'm doing the same as OP and decluttering my home of old stuff that still has $$ value to me instead of donating it to Value Village. I'm solely using Letgo app and have had pretty good experience with buyers. I've even left items on my front porch while I was out ($5 and $10 stuff) with the money waiting in my mailbox. The only part I hate is agreeing to a lowered price and a meeting time and then the dreaded "where are you located" question pops up. I entered my postal code into the app so it gives people an idea where in the city I'm located but these people can't be bothered to click the [more info] button in the ad to find out. So when they find out I'm in the opposite end of the city to where they live they say "sorry too far". Bah!!
I am also using Letgo and would say that my experience is the same as Kijiji. A drop off in interested buyers in the last 3 months. Also I find the inappropriate behaviour of buyers or potential buyers to be the same level on Letgo as Kijiji. When I respond to the question " is it available" I immediately say where the pickup location is - so I don't hear back 90% of the time - I don't know if this is because they are too far away or its because they are just not replying like they do on Kijiji. I have had several cases where you think you are selling something, then you get "I'm too far away". Its hard to be courteous when you really want to say " you idiot, can't you read - what a waste of our time!

I do not like Letgo because I find it more time consuming/difficult to type in detail in the description in the app, the fact that buyers respond without reading the description or knowing the pickup location, and the fact that you are forced to give your home location via postal code. I do like the feature on Letgo that you can comment on the potential buyer as a way of warning other sellers. Letgo also has some bugs to be worked out - I see that you can get accidently blocked so maybe that has happened to me and this would explain the drop off of responses.
[OP]
Mar 10, 2016
7 posts
Reepicheep wrote:
Aug 19th, 2017 7:23 am
I also started using VarageSale because I thought that buyers would not be as discourteous as they are on Kijiji and Craigslist, since they are not anonymous on VS. My experience has been that VS buyers are as discourteous as Kijiji buyers, even when their name and face is known on VS. There is feedback which is a good feature but I have been stood up or left with no communication back by buyers, that have tons of positive "praises" - so my lesson learned is that these praises still don't necessarily mean you will have a positive experience. I also have the impression that feedback is only supposed to be positive and negative feedback goes to the mods so you don't get a complete picture from the feedback. Also there are lots of fake users without name and faces as mentioned in another post. Initially when I started selling on VS about a year ago, I found some activity but then it fell off to nearly no responses.
[OP]
Mar 10, 2016
7 posts
I am always getting replies to my ads on Kijiji, Craigslist and Letgo that say "I'm interested. Is it still for sale?" or "Is this still available? If yes, please contact me." - Now, all my ads (except on Letgo) state that the item is still available if it is still posted but this seems to stop no one from asking. I have wondered why this is the first response and cannot believe that it is because a high percentage of items posted are no longer available. Or maybe it is a broadcast message to all sellers of one item that the buyer is shopping for, and they only contact the one seller from whom they wanted to buy in the first place, if they get a reply? I just know that I always reply politely and about 90% of the time, I never hear from the buyer again. I have experimented lately with following up on these with the buyer, asking "Are you no longer interested in purchasing?" but receive very few replies. Does anyone have a successful way of either eliminating these queries or turning them into sales?

In the last 2 weeks, I have received 2 responses to a non-valuable jewelery item I am selling on Kijiji for $40, asking the " is it still for sale" question. Both times I replied and on the first occasion, the buyer indicated he wanted to buy - then at the last moment said it was a gift for girlfriend but wanted immediate next town delivery and would pay an extra $10. I figured it was a scam at that point and ended the discussion. A week later, same inquiry - is it available and after my reply - immediately said it was a gift for boyfriend (of a woman's necklace) and would pay an extra $15 for delivery. Obviously another scam. This is the first time that I have recognized scammers on Kijiji who start by asking - "Is it still available"? Now I am wondering if the 90% that never are heard from again after answering "is it available" question, are scammers. What's your experience with buyers asking that Is it available question - scammers or just time wasters?
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2002
1383 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
BuryGirl wrote:
Aug 20th, 2017 5:44 pm
This is the first time that I have recognized scammers on Kijiji who start by asking - "Is it still available"? Now I am wondering if the 90% that never are heard from again after answering "is it available" question, are scammers. What's your experience with buyers asking that Is it available question - scammers or just time wasters?
I think it's a mix of the two. I think some folks just search for a particular item (for example, "necklace" at a specific price range), and just hit reply to the first page of ads they see. They're not reading the descriptions. They're just looking for a deal. The first person who responds to their (probably) low-ball offer gets the sale, and they ignore all other responses.