Kijiji Scam Inquiry - Sold an empty box

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2017 8:48 pm
[OP]
Mar 21, 2017
3 posts

Kijiji Scam Inquiry - Sold an empty box

Hey RFDers,

Long time lurker. Unfortunately my first post is going to be in the scammers section. It seems I've just been potentially scammed and I wanted to know if anyone had any input. (I also tried to search these subforums prior to making this post but couldn't find close enough information).

Long story short, I made a rookie mistake of not opening the box of a PS4 Pro. The insides were not exactly empty, but everything was replaced with random cables and miscellaneous items (supposedly to match up the weight). The selling price was $450 which wasn't particularly fishy as it was the going price on average. I had been BST for over 5 years on Kijiji and CL and I guess this one time I was a bit careless.

The phone number seemed to be a burner number as I can no longer call it and texts bounce back.

My question is, for a $450 loss... Is there anything that can be done involving police?

That would be a question I'm wondering but part 2 of the question gets tricky...

The ad title specifically said "PS4 PRO BOX - IN HAND" and description stated "as shown in pictures" and the only picture was... you guessed it. Just the box.

So ultimately, does that wording within the ad screw me for any potential legal action? And for curiosity, if that wording was regularly worded, ("BNIB PS4 PRO" for example), would the police even be able to help?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Last edited by WillLai85 on Mar 22nd, 2017 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7973 posts
2819 upvotes
Toronto
Report to the local police close to the meet-up area. If they are interested, which most likely they will not be....they'll investigate.

Were there any camera's nearby the meeting spot?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13724 posts
9222 upvotes
Toronto
sadly Police won't do much. Expensive lesson but could even happen at stores. People have bought sealed items at retail locations only to discover real item has been swapped for junk.

Always check the item before forking over $ esp on Kijiji/Craigslist etc.

You could see if they repost ad then confront them with some buddies. See if they can be scared into refunding your $

Forget 'legal action' . There is none you can take that'll be worth your time and effort.
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
[OP]
Mar 21, 2017
3 posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to chalk this up to an expensive lesson learned.

If anyone is looking to buy a PS4 Pro off someone on kijiji who's about 7 foot tall, with a super deep voice, check the box first! (Not that you shouldn't check the box regardless, lol. wish i had more description than that, but buyers beware is the moral of the story I suppose. Expensive moral for me)
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
2797 posts
1185 upvotes
Your out of luck...copy won't do anything..read a similar post of Reddit same idea but with a switch. Expensive lesson learned. Best way is to hope you find the same ad and take it from there .... Think of a lot of ways of getting even
Where are you from op? Just to help others out
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6754 posts
975 upvotes
You not only check inside the box, but should connect it and make sure that it works. This has always been the way with cash deals or even from a second hand store.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
1925 posts
538 upvotes
Toronto
hdom wrote:
Mar 28th, 2017 12:34 am
You not only check inside the box, but should connect it and make sure that it works. This has always been the way with cash deals or even from a second hand store.
+1

AND

1. check the contents
2. check that it works
3. Check that the appearance matches the description.

Wouldn't be great if it was BNIB and it worked only to find a huge scratch and a plastic chunk missing
That's not a knife!
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
3216 posts
473 upvotes
Ottawa
WillLai85 wrote: Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to chalk this up to an expensive lesson learned.

If anyone is looking to buy a PS4 Pro off someone on kijiji who's about 7 foot tall, with a super deep voice, check the box first! (Not that you shouldn't check the box regardless, lol. wish i had more description than that, but buyers beware is the moral of the story I suppose. Expensive moral for me)
7 foot tall,is it Yao Ming?
Jun 5, 2006
989 posts
101 upvotes
sonyHdr12 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 10:56 am
7 foot tall,is it Yao Ming?
Deep voice...its Dikembe Mutombo.
Jul 21, 2011
311 posts
166 upvotes
EAST YORK
Sorry to hear that, best advice is to let it go, 450 is not a small amount, but you are still safe, people get jumped and have their thing taken...

let it go, and BE CAREFUL in the future.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7973 posts
2819 upvotes
Toronto
Op ain't coming back on RFD...until he gets scammed again.
lightmeup wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 11:22 pm
Sorry to hear that, best advice is to let it go, 450 is not a small amount, but you are still safe, people get jumped and have their thing taken...

let it go, and BE CAREFUL in the future.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2378 posts
174 upvotes
Brampton
sprung wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 4:58 pm
sadly Police won't do much. Expensive lesson but could even happen at stores. People have bought sealed items at retail locations only to discover real item has been swapped for junk.

Always check the item before forking over $ esp on Kijiji/Craigslist etc.

You could see if they repost ad then confront them with some buddies. See if they can be scared into refunding your $

Forget 'legal action' . There is none you can take that'll be worth your time and effort.
What happens in that case if you buy from a legitimate store only to find junk in your box when you get home? How do you prove that it wasn't you that is the scammer?
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13724 posts
9222 upvotes
Toronto
toeknee89 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 6:20 pm
What happens in that case if you buy from a legitimate store only to find junk in your box when you get home? How do you prove that it wasn't you that is the scammer?
a lot of people now open big ticket items at store to avoid that situation.
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus