Kijiji Scammer alert: Shani Masood of Mississauga, ON

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2017 9:32 am
[OP]
Dec 11, 2015
1 posts
Mississauga, ON

Kijiji Scammer alert: Shani Masood of Mississauga, ON

I bought an crosair 120GB Force LS from Shani Masood at Esso Gas station 780 Bancroft Dr, Mississauga on Thurs Dec. 10, 2015. Before meeting up, I asked him 3 times for his home address but he only responded to my other questions. He later replied that he wanted to meet up at the Esso gas station. He claimed that the item is BNIB, box still sealed and the original receipt will be provided both on text messages and on his kijiji posting.

When we met up I asked him several questions such as: Is the item new, when did you purchased it, and why are you selling it. He said that it was recently purchased form bestbuy last week and it is new. The reason he's selling it because he needs a bigger size. He gave a photocopied version of the receipt, and I asked where the original receipt is. He said that the print got faded inside his wallet, which was just a cover up. I also checked the box seals to see ensure they're intact. I handed $60 cash then he quickly strides away after taking the cash without saying anything, he must be really nervous lol. I checked on kijiji right away for the item posting for reference but he deleted it too quickly.

I noticed that the box's top seal may have been opened/replaced since it's not as firmly placed like the other seal at the bottom but I wasn't sure since its undamaged and very hard to see. When I got home, I took the SSD out, and thats when I knew that I got ripped off since the item on hand is only an SSD case which I figured by its very low weight (as light as a phone case) and the empty space inside the metal case when I looked through the mounting screw holes. I tested the SSD with an external USB enclosure but my laptop couldn't detect it. I tried it with my I tried putting my 750GB 1.5" HDD and it could detect it with no issues. The SSD's metal casing still has the seals on it. I contacted Kijiji helpdesk by chat and they just recommend me to visit a local police station. I contacted Sean to explain my problem and kindly asked if I could get my money back. Hes in denial that he opened the box then started swearing at the text messages.

I went the Police station this morning at square one to file a report. The officer told me that the item number/serial on the photocopied receipt is for 120gb crosair force GT (I didnt see clearly that it is an GT instead of LS on the receipt) and its not the same as the one on the box. He recently purchased a 120GB crosair force GT on 11/27/15. The officer called Sean and asked him several questions: is supposed to be this light then he said yes. The cop mentioned that he has little knowledge about computers. It is obvious that theres something inside the SSD case, but the cop just believed Sean about its weight since he lacks computer knowledge. Cop also mentioned all my claims to Sean but I think he gave opposing response against mines on the phone. The cop asked me, what if you had changed the content inside the box since he gave you a sealed box. He was not helpful at all. He advised me to go to a computer repair shop and have the SSD tested. If it doesn't work, he recommends that I make a warranty claim. I don't want to waste my time going to the computer shop when I know Its not going to work.

He probably got ripped off by someone then bought another SSD from bestbuy. I texted him for the original receipt but he never replied. Now I'm left without the original receipt, $60 gone and a fake item SSD case thats useless. I don't think I'd be able to avail the warranty which comes with a 3 years warranty as described on the box.

Please be advice, always open a sealed item on the spot and make sure it works. Also, ask for the original receipt if it was recently purchased and available then make sure it matches the item you're getting. Lastly, take the seller info for security reasons.

Scammer other ads: http://www.kijiji.ca/o-posters-other-ads/1932802

Scammer info:
Cellphone number: (416) 577-8872*
Name: Shani Masood **
AKA in kijiji: Sean

*That number is searcheable in kijiji
** Facebook, youtube, Google+
Please view in desktop mode to see inline images

Address: 898 Delgado Dr, Mississauga, ON L5V 2S4
wrong date on the image. Dec 10*

12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2090 posts
211 upvotes
You can get a 128gb SSD brand new for $60. Not sure why you'd go on Kijiji.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
2809 posts
574 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
That scammer is a scumbag but you are also partly blamed for not checking the receipt and item properly. I've realized the people that I've dealt with on kijiji always do the same common thing and that is not taking time to inspect the item properly before handing out the cash. That is why scammer continue scamming because a lot of people do not check thoroughly.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44257 posts
3273 upvotes
Toronto
fboybcb wrote:
Dec 13th, 2015 12:10 am
That scammer is a scumbag but you are also partly blamed for not checking the receipt and item properly. I've realized the people that I've dealt with on kijiji always do the same common thing and that is not taking time to inspect the item properly before handing out the cash. That is why scammer continue scamming because a lot of people do not check thoroughly.
People are just too trustworthy on Kijiji for some reason, everything is anonymous!
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
2809 posts
574 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Jimboski wrote:
Dec 13th, 2015 12:19 am
People are just too trustworthy on Kijiji for some reason, everything is anonymous!
Yea, can't agree more.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16230 posts
1046 upvotes
Woodbridge
I'm done with kijiji, now I only sell my toys.

Common sense, really but my boy did find it strange when the buyer didn't want to count the money. He took a few minutes breaking the seal, inspecting the contents, etc.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14536 posts
1417 upvotes
Oshawa
Same number.
https://www.facebook.com/gbc.mississauga/

Why not stop by for lunch?
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Feb 8, 2003
684 posts
180 upvotes
Why would you risk meeting some scum on Kijiji to save 15 bucks? Are people that hard up for money?
Sep 12, 2017
17 posts
EEE2 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2015 5:33 pm
You can get a 128gb SSD brand new for $60. Not sure why you'd go on Kijiji.
where?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12119 posts
975 upvotes
Toronto
The original post is from 2015 and SSDs were much cheaper then.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7826 posts
2710 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for digging this up from 2 years ago.
thewhopper wrote:
Sep 20th, 2017 2:37 pm
where?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
4438 posts
189 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2017 10:34 am
The original post is from 2015 and SSDs were much cheaper then.
Lol
C:\RFD>ih8lowballers.bat_